Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bridger mule deer

Finally got to spend some nights in the mountains. Went up high in some upper basins looking for the elusive mule deer. Ended up seeing more mountain goats than anything. Area had lots of water, feed, and cover. Didn’t see a single sign of man once we got out of the creek bottom, a rarity it feels like now a days. We never saw a single person after driving up the hill past the camping spots.IMG_1862.jpegIMG_1865.jpeg20230909_121015.jpeg20230909_111136.jpegIMG_1855.jpegWe ended up only finding two sets of deer tracks after 10 miles of hiking. Neat area, seems odd that the only animals in there are goats, grouse and bears. Also got to watch this guy for a while. He was very interested in me. IMG_1882.jpegIMG_1880.jpegPulled stakes and went to another area a little lower. Area had great grass and water, but again didn’t cut a single track in the area. Did find a decent black bear, but it was on the move with no chance to catch up. IMG_1891.jpegTwo areas striked off the list. Spent the first night in a tipi, tried out some new gear and hiked till our feet got sore. Great weekend in the mountains. We will be switching tactics and trying an area on the other side of the mountains next weekend. The quest continues.

Finally got to spend some nights in the mountains. Went up high in some upper basins looking for the elusive mule deer. Ended up seeing more mountain goats than anything. Area had lots of water, feed, and cover. Didn’t see a single sign of man once we got out of the creek bottom, a rarity it feels like now a days. We never saw a single person after driving up the hill past the camping spots.View attachment 291817View attachment 291818View attachment 291820View attachment 291821View attachment 291819We ended up only finding two sets of deer tracks after 10 miles of hiking. Neat area, seems odd that the only animals in there are goats, grouse and bears. Also got to watch this guy for a while. He was very interested in me. View attachment 291823View attachment 291822Pulled stakes and went to another area a little lower. Area had great grass and water, but again didn’t cut a single track in the area. Did find a decent black bear, but it was on the move with no chance to catch up. View attachment 291824Two areas striked off the list. Spent the first night in a tipi, tried out some new gear and hiked till our feet got sore. Great weekend in the mountains. We will be switching tactics and trying an area on the other side of the mountains next weekend. The quest continues.
So, you are not seeing any elk sign?

Week three. Got on Friday night and seen some whitetail and mule deer does. Later after gaining some elevation we found a big herd of elk hanging around the private line. Made camp 3/4 of a mile away above and out of the wind from them. It’s hard sleeping with those bulls going crazy all night. Woke up at 5 am to those bulls still going strong in the new moon darkness. Sat around for an hour eating and trying to formulate a plan the mornings hunt. IMG_1952.jpegWhile trying to stay out of the way with the thermals we hard an elk bugle above us that we could try after. Long story short. Never heard them bugle again. Seen a bull walking away at 20 yards with no shot opportunities. Picked up his two buddies and walked down the ridge line never to be seen again. Later came to find out there was two hunters at 70 yards on the other side of them. What’s the chance the only two hunters we saw was when we were on a few bulls? After that the coyotes started howling and the elk shut up. With most of the hot day left we decided to go exploring the area.Walked the trail to about as high as we wanted to hunt and found some huckleberries and nice views. IMG_1936.jpegIMG_1940.jpegIMG_1942.jpegWe didn’t expect to see much up high with the afternoon heat. It was nice stretching out the legs and getting the verts in though. After quick nap back at camp, we went out for a short evening hunt. The elk where going strong again pretty early in the evening. Seen a bull chasing cows with many other bull’s voicing off but all on private. Nothing came to fruition though and they shut up well before dark. Never could figure out why they turned off so early. Can never figure out if it is worth the effort to hunt around private and see a lot of unhuntable animals or go further in and see very few animals but can go after everything you see. Anyways we decided to hunt the elk instead of looking for deer in the morning again. I mean why not hunt the elk rut, specially when they are making quite the racket. Ended up not hearing a single elk this morning. However we finally found the deer. Everything was way up high on the very obvious high alpine deer looking areas. Every good spot held deer.IMG_1953.jpegIMG_1954.jpegThe problem was we didnt have the time to get up there before they bedded for the day. Ended up seeing 7 different bucks, but all went in the trees to bed. Atleast we finally saw some bucks. Packed up camp and headed out after all the deer disappeared. On the way out we found the elk again. They were still going strong till we left them at 10:30. Unfortunately they were again just over the line in private. I swear they know that line weather there is a fence or not.IMG_1944.jpegIMG_1935.jpegIMG_1939.jpegOverall a much more productive weekend with new areas checked off and animals seen. Looking forward to next weekend.

Week four. Started out pretty wet Friday night. Didn’t get out early enough to put a hunt in. Just enough time to set up a truck camp tent for the weekend. I figured it wasn’t worth it with all the rain we got to backpack in. We tried a different spot higher on the mountain so we didn’t need to climb so much in the morning. Woke up Saturday morning pretty much in the clouds with a lite drizzle and low visibility. On the way up we heard a fawn in distress call. As it was pretty close we decided to do some investigating. On arrival of where we thought the sound originated, I looked down and found a bunch of deer hair with meat attached. Not wanting to find out first hand what took down the fawn we sent on our way upwards. Staying at middle elevation until the rain broke, we worked our way up the mountain as the clouds retreated.IMG_1977.jpegIMG_1980.jpegmuch to no surprise, the upper reaches got snowed on overnight. We made our way to towards the head wall and stopped at a few nice benches with great grass, trees and small ponds. We saw a lot of sign from late august, early September but didn’t cut a single fresh track.IMG_1982.jpegWe finished the evening at the highest points of open grass on the mountain with a few tracks but nothing sighted up high.IMG_1981.jpegOn the way off the mountain at last light we spotted a few bulls down low on private chasing around a lone cow elk along with a bunch of doe mule deer. Sunday was more of the same. Lots of hiking around great looking areas with nothing to show for it. IMG_1983.jpegWell almost nothing. I found my first arrowhead in the middle of the road. It is made out of obsidian and was glaring at me in the full sunlight.IMG_1984.jpegWe will see what next weekend brings.

Deer hunting is about what I thought bow season would be. Seeing lots of does down low on public but all the bucks up high in the alpine terrain have been small. I have some info on where the big boys are hanging out but not in a bow friendly spot. You can find them at first light but bed in the trees too low to see and don't want to make the mistake of chasing them out of the area. Still plenty of time left. We will go in during rifle when I can shot further.

Well, it sounds like you are working for it, hope you find 1 you like....definitely following....good luck!!

Made a quick overnighter for week 5. My hunting partner took the whole week off to chase elk. Just a little jealous. I headed up to where I normally elk hunt for rifle to check out the conditions and see if anything is showing up yet. Ran into one hunter lower down that said the elk have been hanging around the last few weeks but low in the mountain. Spent the night half way up. Went to my usual spots but nothing came out that night. IMG_2002.jpegIMG_2003.jpeg Atleast I got a good sunset. Well before first light a brewed up a cup of coffee and set off for the high country. I found a couple of spots that looked like they could have been a wallow but nothing had used them. IMG_2005.jpegI set up at a few spots to glass the surrounding area but again nothing. It is really starting to dry up out there. Hard to move around without sounding like a herd of elephants walking. Seen a few grouse but they all flushed pretty wild and landed in trees. I have learned my lesson the hard way. No more tree shots on birds. Arrows are getting to expensive. IMG_2011.jpegOn my way back to camp I heard a bugle on the far ridge I was watching. It Turned out to be another hunter. He was bugling on the very top of the ridge in the wide open for everything to see. I decided it wasn’t worth the time and effort to stay in the area after he walked through where I wanted to hunt. With the weather predicted to move in and antelope season next weekend I called it quits. And just like that another archery season has passed. I saw a lot of new country and enjoyed the great camping weather this year. I will be out east chasing antelope, turkeys and sharptails till deer rifle season opens.IMG_2015.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2004.jpeg
    IMG_2004.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Spent a couple weekends chasing antelope in the eastern prairies. I always enjoy my time out there with the great sunrises and sunsets. The hunting is just a bonus. Ended up finding a great buck on Friday before the season opened. He was wide and had decent cutters. IMG_2034.jpeg
We drove around a bit more to explore more of the area and found lots of other average bucks. With our main objective satisfied, we decided to go bird hunting. There were a lot of turkeys in the area and even the sharptails allowed us to get close enough for some action packed shooting. IMG_2046.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg
Opening morning we hiked in before sunrise into the area we had seen the wide buck. We found him right away but they never paused long enough for us to catch up to them. We put on 10 miles trying to get in front to no avail. With regret we decided to head back. IMG_2057.jpegIMG_2062.jpegIMG_2065.jpegIMG_2066.jpegIMG_2067.jpegWith one more day we decided to look away from the crowds and explore another drainage. We were seeing lots of hunters 2 or more miles off the roads in our previous spots. Sunday morning brought in a large elk herd in the wide open heading towards some badlands. Who would have thought the most elk I would see so far this year wouldn’t be in the mountains.IMG_2080.jpegIMG_2077.jpeg
In the same field with the elk we saw, deer, antelope and sharptails! Unfortunately they were on land we couldn’t hunt. We found some more antelope but nothing that was calling our names. With the weather turning warm we decided to call it quits and head home.

Second weekend of antelope we saw a lot less people. In fact we only saw one other camper and he was bird hunting. Saturday morning brought in cold temps (24 degrees) and horrible fog. IMG_2094.jpeg
IMG_2095.jpeg
It was not till 10 am that we could actually see far enough to hunt. Luckily, nobody else was around and once the fog dissipate we soon found a nice herd with some bucks about 2 miles off the road. Not being to picky my hunting partner soon had an average buck on the ground. He made a great shot and wasted no meat..IMG_2096.jpeg
After the pack out we looked for more but never found any more antelope for the rest of the day. Atleast we got one and again the sunset was amazing IMG_2101.jpeg
The next morning was more of the same. Cold temps and fog that just won’t quit.IMG_2104.jpeg
We decided to use a public out house in the area that was up higher in hopes we could get above the fog. Like magic as we climbed up in elevation we could glass a little bit of the higher elevation plateaus. Before too long I spotted a herd. Quickly we cut across a lower meadow in the open before the fog could disappear. Again the stars aligned and we were able to make a great stalk to fill my tag. IMG_2113.jpeg
IMG_2120.jpeg
While not great bucks we enjoyed out time out east and I think that antelope make the best burgers. Can’t wait to see if we can draw next year again. Now we can concentrate on the deer again after the freezer in a little fuller!

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I swear I had intentions to go deer hunting! I got a call from my hunting partner Friday that was already in the mountains and sitting on 4 bull elk in a very good spot to hunt. Well, I guess we are going elk hunting. Friday was my birthday so I got to camp, set up the spotter, watched the elk feed out into a nice basin and cracked a bottle!IMG_2137.jpeg
Not a bad way to spend a birthday. Opening morning we were at the trailhead by 5:30. Unfortunately a father, daughter and son were already there waiting to hike in. We talked for a brief time and learned they were going in a completely different direction. So we set off on our own way with plenty of time to get where we needed to be without being in a hurry. As we set up for the last 1/2 hour before shooting light on the backside of a ridge, we started to hear elk bugle within what seemed like 500 yards just above us on the plateau. Alright, game on. We got ourselves ready for the last few minutes till legal light and we hear a large commotion. It sounded like a jet taking off. Stampede! Somebody came up the other side of the elk, with their scent blowing right at them. The elk ran by us at 40 yards and all we could do was watch dumbfounded. They took off 10 minutes before we could shoot. I lost count at 40 animals and didn’t make it half way through the herd. They ran across the valley and we watched most of the morning as they ran across the mountain range getting shot at. I guess that’s what you can sometimes get hunting public land, get in the perfect position only to be ruined by some one else. Spent the rest of the day looking and hoping the huge herd didn’t take every elk with them. Luckily we spotted several more small groups in the area but never could get on them before the day light went away.IMG_2135.jpeg Sunday we hit all the spots where we usually find elk after being pressured opening day. Small dark timber that most people wouldn’t think would hold elk. We got into some cows in what can only be described as a hell hole. So thick you can’t see 15 feet. IMG_2138.jpegUnfortunately we were a little too loud and jumped them at 20 yards without ever seeing a body. Discouraged, we slowly made our way back towards the truck. We had dropped of a second truck so we don’t hike through the same terrain twice. On the last piece of timber, on the last mile of 17 miles that week, I spotted some really yellow grass in the timber. I pulled up my binos to confirm that it was just grass. Yep, really yellow grass. Then I saw the grass turn it’s head to reveal antlers! It’s unbelievable how well their coats can blend in sometimes, even at 70 yards. I slowly put on some ear muffs (I hunt with a break), chambered a round and picked out a small spot just behind its front shoulder. At the pull of the trigger he vanished instantly into the timber. As I pulled down my ear muffs I could here him letting out his last breath. Bull down! IMG_2143.jpegSometimes persistence pays off! Never give up! Nothing brings more joy to me than getting an elk. I am enjoying all the things I plan to make with him. Burgers, Mild Italian sausage, Breakfast sausage, Brautwurst. Who knows, I might make some chorizo! While pulling off his back straps, I pulled a broad head out of his spine. IMG_2147.jpeg
This reaffirms my thought on not using expandables. I think a fixed blade would have severed his spine. My two hunting partners and I made quick work of butchering him up. I loaded up the two front shoulders, strapped on my rifle and we headed on out of the mountains. I have been using the Fhf gear rifle sling and can’t say enough good things about them. The rifle just doesn’t move when strapped into the back and I can quickly remove when I need to. IMG_5472.jpegIMG_5471.jpeg
I am hoping to make it out this weekend for a day. Going to be a big change going from 70’s in the afternoon, to snow and single digits.

Great work! I picked up the FHF sling for this season too, and I love it. Keeps the rifle from sliding off and puts the weight into the pack frame instead of a pressure point on my shoulder. Good luck with the elusive big bridgers buck!

The pressure is off now with elk for the freezer. Good luck with the deer.

Made it up today. Day started getting stuck in a rut before daylight and had to chain up to get in. Facts of life driving a four door diesel long bed pick up truck. Decided to hit my favorite glassing point when the rut starts to heat up. Made it to the trailhead just at shooting light. We wondered up to the high lands just as the light was getting good. I had to do some business in the trees. As I made my way to the ridge line my hunting partner was making a lot of arm waves. Apparently as I dropped down a buck crossed a clearing on the opposite ridge line. I quickly grabbed out the spotter. Unfortunately the buck already made his way to the trees. We sat in anticipation waiting for him to show up again. IMG_2170.jpegAfter what seemed like forever he finally showed up again. After ranging him and dailing in his scope he let one fly. 2 feet high right over his back. The buck froze. Not knowing where the shot was from, my partner had all the time in the world with a broadside shot to send another. Two feet high again! We don’t know what was happening but both shots rang high. In disappointment we watched as the buck dropped down the drainage. I told him to go up high and watch the saddle below us. He walked out at 180 yards but offered no shot apportenties. Again my partner glassed the oppressing saddle even closer to see if he traveled through. I watched as he finally got in position again for a third shot. With the soundof the rifle going off, I heard a solid thwack. Buck down!IMG_2178.jpegFinally a true alpine buck down! It’s been our dream to shot one up high in the alpine. I can’t believe the body size on this warrior. Not huge but lots of mass. Can’t wait to see if I can top this. IMG_2181.jpeg It was a cold morning but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.IMG_2180.jpegNow on to finishing cutting up my elk in anticipation for the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back