Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bridger mule deer

When I moved to Bozeman in 1999, I had a guy show me some of his bucks from the Bridger's from the yester-years, WOW.

Years ago there was an article in the Livingston Enterprise hunting paper that comes out just before hunting season where they were talking about game migration. They interviewed a biologist with MTFWP who said that they had collars on 5 generations of does that wintered in the foothills of the Bridgers and returned to Yellowstone Park in the spring.
I think that there is a good chance that some of the big bucks killed in the Bridgers actually came from the Park.

Those days are long gone I would guess since there are very few deer in the park and they probably couldn't cross I90 anyway.

Years ago there was an article in the Livingston Enterprise hunting paper that comes out just before hunting season where they were talking about game migration. They interviewed a biologist with MTFWP who said that they had collars on 5 generations of does that wintered in the foothills of the Bridgers and returned to Yellowstone Park in the spring.
I think that there is a good chance that some of the big bucks killed in the Bridgers actually came from the Park.

Those days are long gone I would guess since there are very few deer in the park and they probably couldn't cross I90 anyway.
I also have heard that some of the deer that winter in the bridgers come from the crazy mountains.

When they were doing the Bridger mule deer study we used to see collared deer in the Bangtails and my brother shot a collared buck in the Bangtails. I have seen hundreds of deer tracks crossing the highway in the Bracket creek/ Battle Ridge area when the snow got deep back in the day.
You don't grow old bucks when you're deer winter in a general season area where they get killed by the masses.

The storytelling is great - so is the photography. Thanks for sharing.

Even without filling the muley tag, you had a great adventure. You both will be telling this story for decades.

Hell of an effort, thank you for not just filling your tag on a young deer. Had the tag in 2018 and didn't kill 1, ended up seeing 1 that I wanted and for me it was that buck or no buck, just didn't work out with him. Thanks for taking us along.

Reactions: DFS
Really enjoyed this thread, the updates, the photos and storytelling, and the effort you put into this tag. Sorry it didn’t pan out, but it was a cool ride.

I ventured into the Bridgers yesterday on the west face of the most extreme rugged peaks. Found an old troll of a freak nasty warrior that hopefully made it through the season to spread his genes.
IMG_6455.jpeg
I belly crawled within range and as luck would have it (I didn’t have a permit) the old mossy horn gave me the slip, ruining my chances for an Eastman’s Journal cover shot. His ever-aware companions stood long enough for an epic photo capture by @SilentButDeadlyOutdoorImaging.
IMG_6467.jpeg

I ventured into the Bridgers yesterday on the west face of the most extreme rugged peaks. Found an old troll of a freak nasty warrior that hopefully made it through the season to spread his genes.
View attachment 303453
I belly crawled within range and as luck would have it (I didn’t have a permit) the old mossy horn gave me the slip, ruining my chances for an Eastman’s Journal cover shot. His ever-aware companions stood long enough for an epic photo capture by @SilentButDeadlyOutdoorImaging.
View attachment 303454
It was “The year of the yard deer” up here in Helena too.

Thanks for the trip report! Great story and congrats on the five animals. That is hell of a season for two hunters.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back