Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lever Guns

ERSS

At some point this past winter, I realized that despite watching every episode of Long Range Pursuit, the majority of the deer I've shot during rifle seasons over the years have been at less than 100 yards. Last years muley flushed like a jackrabbit out of the sage at 40 yards.

I don't currently own a lever or short range rifle and plan to pick one up soon. Not set on new or used. Of all the guns I have ever sold and wished I had hung on to, there was a Marlin 1895P, 16 in ported barrel in 44 mag that is the one I would get back if I could.

Other than the standard Marlin 336 or Win 94, what other rifle/caliber combo have others had good luck with? The Winchester 88 in .308 looks like a classic that would also do the trick.

I think Savage 99s are pretty cool. Especially ones with the brass round counter! I'd go that way or a Sako Finnwolf before a win 88.

The first deer I ever shot was with the BLR .243, just passed it on to my son. Still waiting for my dad to give up his BLR .308. Amazing rifles and extremely comfortable to shoot.

Model 94 in 7-30 Waters. Been a great gun. My wife shot her first deer with it, and I've killed dozens with it as well. Flatter and faster than the 30-30. Peep sights. A great bad weather/thick brush deer hunting gun.

I bought my Browning BLR in .308 in the late eighties, when I was 13 or 14. Love that gun. Taken lots of deer, elk and antelope with it.

The triggers are different (longer pull) but I'm used to it. Some folks don't like them. They shoot well - but I haven't seen / shot any of the newer models (take-down version).

I also have a .444 Marlin. That gun shoots very well - but I've never shot anything but paper with it.

Winchester 71 in .348

Epitome of class and style in a lever gun. Fantastic cartridge for elk and deer at moderate distances (under 200 yards).

My Ruger 96 44 Mag has proven to be a DRT thumper on piggies and whitetails. Looks like it's going to be my primary this year for hopefully a bruiser Ohio freezer filler...... or nine.:)

I love my Marlin 444. By far the most accurate gun I own out to 200 yards. With lever reveolution ammo I have less than 1" groups at 200 yards off the bench. I think lever guns look cool, too!

Winchester 71 in .348

Epitome of class and style in a lever gun. Fantastic cartridge for elk and deer at moderate distances (under 200 yards).

Amen, in the deluxe model.

I have a savage 1899 in 303 savage which is a fun rifle, I also own a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Cowboy I like a lot as well as a 336 Texan in 35 Remington.. Always wanted an 1886 but like Ben said the pinnacle of big game levers imo is the 71.

Amen, in the deluxe model.

I have a savage 1899 in 303 savage which is a fun rifle, I also own a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Cowboy I like a lot as well as a 336 Texan in 35 Remington.. Always wanted an 1886 but like Ben said the pinnacle of big game levers imo is the 71.

I've got an 86 in 33 WCF. Now if I could just find a stash of 500 or so 200 grain 338 FN's to go with it!

16" .44 would be a sweet rifle. My dad has a Marlin in 45-70 that I really like. Brought it on my moose hunt when time was running out instead of my bow. Was looking forward to an inside 100yd shot with the big hardcast, it didn't happen but maybe next time I draw the tag.

Funny, I was just called un-American for not owning a lever gun from a friend at work!

Winchester 88 in .308 or .284 would be my pick.

A Marlin in 45-70 would be cool too.

Other than the standard Marlin 336 or Win 94, what other rifle/caliber combo have others had good luck with? The Winchester 88 in .308 looks like a classic that would also do the trick.

My question is.... since there are Win 94's why would you want anything else? ;)

The Browning BLR is the best on the market currently. I had a BLR .243 for many years and it was a very accurate rifle. I killed A LOT of coyotes with it over the years. I never did really like the long trigger, though, nor the fact that I could not break it all the way down for cleaning.

The 94 and the 99 are out of production and many are pretty valuable as collector items. I have seen some bad stuff about the newer Marlins, so they may be questionable as far as quality.

The Win 94 is still in production, but might as well not be with Winchester setting a MSRP of over $1100 for one ! Are they kidding me ?

Just picked up a previously owned 1997 Marlin 336cs .30-30 in excellent condition. Great gun! Will carry it for deer this fall. Decided to put a Williams peep sight on and have really enjoyed shooting it at the local range. My Ruger Number 1 in .45-70 has a lever as well and is my dedicated elk gun. It wears a 4x Weaver scope.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back