Lever Guns

I love my 336 in 30-30. It's new to me, so I have to kill something with it soon. It's bad luck to have guns that you haven't drawn blood with in your house.

I have seen some bad stuff about the newer Marlins, so they may be questionable as far as quality.

Marlin has become a red headed step child of Remington. I picked up a new 336 C at our RMEF banquet last year. It shoots ok the fit and finish is off and it was stuck in the safe for 3 months because the factory folding rear sight broke in half... while in a case! It goes off when I pull the trigger but its nothing like the pre Remington guns. If you want cheap I would say Marlin now ranks with Rossi and Mossberg (both make model 94 clones) but a step or two below Winchester and Browning.

YoungNVhunter, it took 15 years for my dad to finally sell me his BLR 308. When he bought it, we both put about 5 rounds through it and he took it hunting that fall and took a whitetail with it. There it sat as a safe queen. It was basically new when I got it from him late October last year. I used it in November and took two whitetails with it. I love this rifle. IF I could find a BLR 243, I would buy one of those too.

Another caliber for consideration is the 35 Remington. I have a Marlin 336 (Pre remington) that I picked up in January. Ammo can be kinda spendy and hard to find unless you handload, then its not so bad. I am thinking about adding another lever gun to go along with these, plus a Marlin 1894 357 Mag lever. There are two different ones I am looking at. First is a Browning BLR in 325 WSM for $549 and a Marlin in 308 Marlin express. I would also love to get my hands on a 44 Mag.

I'd have to go with a Browning BLR in 243 Win. Personally I prefer the pistol grip stock over the straight stock. Mine aren't "take downs", but I'd consider it if buying another one...

my first gun I ever shot at a deer with was a win, .32 special I loved that gun then I got a 300 savage 99 from the 1930's I love that rifle and still have it and I bought a 30-30 336 marlin made in 1955 my kids learned how to shot with the later 2 rifles but they are limited on distance so I got an model 700 rem. in .270 and reload for it but the when my father died I got his .300 mag and I like it but I collect henry's a .45colt big boy and .22 mag. golden boy and .22 golden boy and a plane .22 but I been cow boing it up for 45 years I also have a 45 colt Ruger and .22 mag frontier revoler

levergun

i bought the ugliest used Marlin (1982 manf. date) 336 i could find for a brush/push rifle and it is awesome. I wanted it in 35remington as its just magic with those 200gr bullets and its still cheap and fun to shot. at 100 it shots 1" groups with that fancy hornady lever ammo with a 1-4x scope, AMAZING!!! if you get a marlin i would get one from before they became Remlins...

I have a marlin 336 in 30-30 that I love. Used it to shoot deer a few times. Great gun within 100 yards. I would love to try out one of the BLR's. Chambered in cartridges that are very appealing that you don't see in the "ole' lever guns."

I just picked up a glenfield 30A in 30-30 and am looking forward to putting it to use as my new doe gun. Planning to throw a Williams 5D-336 top mount rear sight on it and refinish the stock. Look for bargains at gunshops that sell used and you can find some sweet deals

my very 1st buck was with a lever gun a savage 99 in 308
so kind of a soft spot for them. i now have 4 of them 2 in 308 1 in 250-3000 and 1 in 358
here is a pic of the 358
i also have a older marlin [ pre rem ] in 444 also nice for close in

Attachments

• savage 99 in 358 win 001.jpg
    savage 99 in 358 win 001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker