Classic western Lever gun?

Irrelevant

calling all snobs, aficionados, and cowboys. I'm thinking really hard about getting an old lever gun with the ole xmas bonus this year. But I have no idea what I actually want, help me refine my search.

-I want it to be old (pre-1950)
-Deer/prong caliber (that I can actually fine ammo for)
-Decent shape, but not mint.
-"classic" like was actually used in a scabbard my rear men, not fake guys with well trimmed mustaches and big opinions.

calling all snobs, aficionados, and cowboys. I'm thinking really hard about getting an old lever gun with the ole xmas bonus this year. But I have no idea what I actually want, help me refine my search.

-I want it to be old (pre-1950)
-Deer/prong caliber (that I can actually fine ammo for)
-Decent shape, but not mint.
-"classic" like was actually used in a scabbard my rear men, not fake guys with well trimmed mustaches and big opinions.
Bat-signal to @BrentD

Somebody's Everybody's been watching Yellowstone. But I'm all for the return of the venerable lever gun.

#leverevolution
I've never seen it, and honestly can't remember the last time I watched our TV for anything besides a Christmas movie (I only watch movies when it's too dark to do anything else).

Sit on bonus, come summer take weekend trip to cody for winchester gun show. You can likely find exactly what you want and maybe something catches your eye and you take it home. While there also hit the museum and have fun weekend trip.

I've never seen it, and honestly can't remember the last time I watched our TV for anything besides a Christmas movie (I only watch movies when it's too dark to do anything else).
Just joking around. I'm genuinely surprised you haven't seen it.

I personally love my old Marlin in .30-30. Easy to find Core Lokts, and they're pretty cheap and practical as far as lever rounds go. Unless you decide to go the box mag route (Savage 99 etc), then you can do better ballistically. But to me, then it's just not quite the same

My advice would be keep it simple and cheap so you can shoot it a lot and have fun

I'd go with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage for western hunting. Ammo isn't cheap, but it is still around. Rotary magazine means not being stuck with FTX's or flat noses, and I do find them to be sleek and enjoyable to carry. It's a legitimate 300 yard lever gun who was ahead of its time, and you can find some nice ones for a good price.

Sit on bonus, come summer take weekend trip to cody for winchester gun show. You can likely find exactly what you want and maybe something catches your eye and you take it home. While there also hit the museum and have fun weekend trip.
That museum is amazing. Bring a rag to wipe the drool.

I'll have to get to that gun show. Sounds amazing.

I gotta say, the savage 99!

Grandpa used it to knock down deer and moose in Wyoming.

308 winchester in a savage 99 is near perfect, a capable 350 yard deer/elk gun (but youd have to break your pre 1950 rule). You would be able to use modern ammunition with spitzer bullet profiles.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back