Classic western Lever gun?

.30-30 is enough gun for any muley that ever walked this planet.

And elk too.
Cool down there. Sentence says "he felt..." He got tired of looking for stuff he had shot. He went to a .30-06 and never looked back.

I've taken both species with the same .30-30 he felt was too light.

We do have to agree that it is not the best for those high angle quartering shots.

Seriously O.P.
If I could get whatever lever gun I wanted it would probably be the win 88 in 308 with open sights but I don't know if it makes your list because I don't know when they started them in 308.

Seriously O.P.
If I could get whatever lever gun I wanted it would probably be the win 88 in 308 with open sights but I don't know if it makes your list because I don't know when they started them in 308.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd never heard of them before, but it doesn't really fit what I'm after. Looks more like a typical 70/80's bolt gun but with a level mechanism.

Seriously O.P.
The model 88 was made in 308 in 1955, or at least my oldest 88 was manufactured in 1955 per the serial number ...I have one with a 16xxx serial number and one with a 63xxx serial number. Great rifles!

Doesn’t really fit the old/classic vibe, but I got an opportunity to pick up a Henry .44 mag with a custom serial number at a big discount with payments spread out as part of a work thing, I’m excited to try it out when it gets delivered. It would be a fun one to shoot a black bear with one day.

I think my favorites are my 92 in .25/20 and my winchester 73. Niether are really good deer or antelope guns.
Nothing wrong with those rifles actions for deer. A .38-40 or .44-40 would be a little more comforting. There is something magical about 73s. I'm not a Winchester lever fan, but the 73 is hard to resist. If one with a 24-28" barrel came by at the right moment in .38-40 or .44-40, I'd probably have grab it.

I'd eventually like to get a decent Russian issued 1895. That'll be a long ways out, though.
Well there is this

I don't remember what the Russian caliber was, but this would definitely be interesting.

pix602125266.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back