Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

DIY Wyoming

MNHunt

Hey all looking for a little help for a DIY Wyoming cow hunt. I have an ATV and would be able to bring a snowmobile, but not both. So my questions are.

Best unit? - Probably will need to stay in hotel
How many days should I plan for?

I don't mind paying for a guide or tresspass fee, but would prefer to do it on our own. If we see some Elk it would be a success. Though we certainly want to shoot one we really want to just get out and see some beatiful country, prefarably not with a crowd.

Oh, would be our first time on our own..we did one guided cow hunt a few years ago..now building up preference points.

Thanks!

Go to the WY Game and FIsh website and look through it hard. Sometimes they will post info for cow elk hunters.

The issue with cow elk hunting is that the animals could be anywhere on most units, and if the snow pushes them onto ranches they become unhuntable on public land.

ATV should suffice, unless you go late in the year up in the mountains.

* had tags left over last year I think, but I am not sure. I did see some cows up in the forest off the HWY, but not positive if it was in * or not.

Last edited:
Thanks - There is a TON on info out there and feel quite overwhelmed! There are only a few units with tags that are not designated poor access areas, so seems quite limited. Probably going to have to start planning for next year. Ideally would like an area where we can draw a bull every 3 years with or so with points and start with a cow tag to learn the area.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back