2024 Rifle Wyoming Resident Companion/Drop Camp Unit 60?

@BlacktailMaster I'm assuming this isn't a troll post because your responses seem genuine and just wanted to clarify why you are getting some sarcastic replies earlier in the thread. As others have pointed out, a simple back pack trip into this unit just wouldn't be feasible. Can it be done? Maybe, I'm sure folks do it. But you'de be asking someone to guide you for free into one of the most remote places in the lower 48, just getting to the unit requires a 12 mile pack, one way up some very aggressive terrain. I know plenty of locals that hunt that unit, they all have their own horses, tack, back country camp gear, etc. As a local, if my best friend and hunting pard called me up and wanted to plan a trip back there it would be a hard maybe. It would take some serious logistics planning and time commitments, most years we are happy to fill our elk tags closer to home. If your son is serious about just this unit I'd say the best option would be start building points for the general tag and start shopping for outfitters to take you back there.

With the change to regions it will probably take 6-8 points to draw a gen tag in the West region. Sounds like ya'll don't have any points so you will have a few years to research. Good Luck!

Thanks Kwyeewyk, I appreciate the guidance on the ask for a resident companion. That is very helpful. I agree it is WAY back in there. Quite possible it isn't feasible but that was part of the reason for the post...was to get this kind of helpful feedback. Yes, he has been many miles in on several elk hunts and quartered, deboned and packed meat out. Plus several High Country Mule Deer Packs as well. As for preference points, we were reading online that we can purchase preference points for $52 each and that seemed like a good deal but are afraid we may have missed the window for this upcoming draw. I will look more into this. With this being our first foray into Wyoming hunting, no he doesn't have any points and would need to purchase some. I will study the General tag more...I so appreciate your feedback, thoughts and ideas.
The general tag took 4 preference points this year. All indications are that it will take more next year. He is several years away from being able to draw this tag.

Thanks for the input Westelker. Your take is definitely not what we were trying to request. This year we grabbed a late leftover tag in September, got a little bit of direction from the friendly folk at HT (no honey holes...would never do that...) went on to OnX, GoHunt and Google Earth and E-scouted our butts off. Took three separate trips two for scouting and one the hunt to go look at areas ourselves, hike in and pre-season scout. All of this 12 hours one way from our home. We definitely started from scratch and are willing to do that in Wyoming. I don't believe it hurts to get some input from the folk on HT...and if someone was looking for input on hunting my local area I would definitely offer it up on the regular. I didn't ask for a drainage, honey hole, etc. I asked for input on how to go about things and what are the general rules/etc. around doing things the proper way. Any thoughts or suggestions other than that were 100% unintended...and I think I even mentioned that in the post. As it relates to the provide him with things...(Camp, pack, etc.) I actually had the opposite in mind. While I do think a Resident Companion having a horse would be great and advantageous, I didn't really expect him to ride one. He is willing to do all of the hiking/packing on his own. More worried about the companion than him...but also thought it couldn't hurt overall. If that was suggesting that we are looking for someone to provide him with a pack animal, camp, etc. I sincerely apologize. Not my intent. As for the expertise to provide him with a monster bull, he would much rather go by himself and our intent was not to poach expertise but to find someone who might have a similar mindset as he does and them both be able to work together to get a bull/bulls(I would expect the Resident Companion to hunt as well?). My son and I have no intention to do anything unethical or inappropriate whether it is in the hunt, the preparation for the hunt or even in a post on HT. We want to do everything the right way and are trying our best to do that. Having said that, I appreciate your input and will share it with him.
Assuming you get a tag and are dead set on unit 60, have you looked at the the nearest trail head? It looks like Deer Creek campground, on the east side of the unit. You would have to go about eight miles up deer creek drainage to get to the pass and the eastern side of 60. Then down into Butte Creek drainage. Then, most likely another few miles to establish a camp. That is easily 10 miles one way. Walking in and out with camping and hunting gear is humanity impossible if you harvest a bull and try to get back to the TH. I don't think your son or any human can walk as fast as a horse or a mule on a trail, won't happen. Unless you hire a guide with camp, stock and grizzly experience, I'd pick another unit. Lots of other units, seasons and states that a bull tag would be more reasonable to obtain. As you probably know, elk hunting is a lot different and physically a lot harder than deer hunting. It sometimes takes years to learn a unit...the terrain, routes, habits and patterns. Then when you throw in the grizzly into the formula for unit 60, added risk. Wolves too!! Find another unit that would be more realistic. A unit in which your son you can get a bull tag, matches your alls abilities, schedule and money you're willing to spend. Better yet, going with a good guide service, you don't have to do anything except squeeze the trigger! Good luck my friend!

Assuming you get a tag and are dead set on unit 60, have you looked at the the nearest trail head? It looks like Deer Creek campground, on the east side of the unit. You would have to go about eight miles up deer creek drainage to get to the pass and the eastern side of 60. Then down into Butte Creek drainage. Then, most likely another few miles to establish a camp. That is easily 10 miles one way. Walking in and out with camping and hunting gear is humanity impossible if you harvest a bull and try to get back to the TH. I don't think your son or any human can walk as fast as a horse or a mule on a trail, won't happen. Unless you hire a guide with camp, stock and grizzly experience, I'd pick another unit. Lots of other units, seasons and states that a bull tag would be more reasonable to obtain. As you probably know, elk hunting is a lot different and physically a lot harder than deer hunting. It sometimes takes years to learn a unit...the terrain, routes, habits and patterns. Then when you throw in the grizzly into the formula for unit 60, added risk. Wolves too!! Find another unit that would be more realistic. A unit in which your son you can get a bull tag, matches your alls abilities, schedule and money you're willing to spend. Better yet, going with a good guide service, you don't have to do anything except squeeze the trigger! Good luck my friend!
This is spot on. I would take his advice and find a more “huntable “ unit. There are plenty of other options that check all the boxes.

@BlacktailMaster I'm assuming this isn't a troll post because your responses seem genuine and just wanted to clarify why you are getting some sarcastic replies earlier in the thread. As others have pointed out, a simple back pack trip into this unit just wouldn't be feasible. Can it be done? Maybe, I'm sure folks do it. But you'de be asking someone to guide you for free into one of the most remote places in the lower 48, just getting to the unit requires a 12 mile pack, one way up some very aggressive terrain. I know plenty of locals that hunt that unit, they all have their own horses, tack, back country camp gear, etc. As a local, if my best friend and hunting pard called me up and wanted to plan a trip back there it would be a hard maybe. It would take some serious logistics planning and time commitments, most years we are happy to fill our elk tags closer to home. If your son is serious about just this unit I'd say the best option would be start building points for the general tag and start shopping for outfitters to take you back there.
wyoelkfan15, thanks for the input. Knew it was possible to get some sarcastic responses but it's all good. I truly believe the original post was put out with the best intentions and it looks like it hit a nerve with some...and that is okay. We would never intentionally try and do someone wrong. But sometimes the road to hell is paved with best intentions lol. So, I have learned not only from the posts but how I can be better in the future on this board. I totally agree with everything you said. I have read all of the posts to him. I wasn't sure how the Resident Companion compensation worked when I originally created the post but one of the responses (may have been yours) helped me with that and the fact that you can't pay the Resident Companion. So, much more is clear on how it all works now. I think he is going to study on the Wyoming hunts beyond Unit 60 some more and take some trips over there this summer and hike in to some places and check them out. We will also be researching the General License a bit more just in case there is an opportunity that opens up. I have tried really hard not to over hype him (some may disagree) as a super proud dad but he really is a freak of nature type human. Which is kind of funny because I am 5'9 and a little pudgy...I married super well, lol. He is 6'3", 235 and 6% body fat. Runs 15 miles no problem, benches 450+, squats 650+, runs stadium stairs for training, etc. Again, thanks for the input and kindness, I appreciate it more than you know.

Thank you so much Westelker. I genuinely appreciate the input. I have read him this post. This is great information.

This is spot on. I would take his advice and find a more “huntable “ unit. There are plenty of other options that check all the boxes.
Thanks Pahoundsman. I totally agree that this is great advice. We will be studying the whole state to see if some other options will do that!

What is your son's mindset? We here at HT have yet to hear directly from him. How can a resident "companion" hunt/work together if he hasn't come forth! Secondly, what if anything do you guys have as far as elk hunting gear and equipment that you plan on using?

What is your son's mindset? We here at HT have yet to hear directly from him. How can a resident "companion" hunt/work together if he hasn't come forth! Secondly, what if anything do you guys have as far as elk hunting gear and equipment that you plan on using?
Thanks Westelker, Sorry for the delayed response...USFL/XFL Merger has been taking quite a bit of our time. Anyway, I checked with him and he will likely put together a profile soon and jump on. That way y'all can interact directly with him. We have quite a bit of equipment...spent much more than I wanted to in preparation for this past season's Idaho Wilderness Hunt lol. He has excellent pack equipment (External frame 80 L with lots of meat hauling capabilities), Jet boil, MRE's, water purification, sub zero lightweight sleeping bag, pad, tent, emergency equipment, solar charger, advanced ONX user (pre-downloads the maps of course), pistol, Excellent clothing, layers, leupold spotting scope, vortex tripod, hatchet, binocs, range finder, much more detailed stuff. He handles a heavy pack no problem. Me on the other hand, well, he carries the heavy stuff for me as well lol thus I am not in the plans :). As for the Compensation question, I only want to do what's right so that is a topic we are definitely open to but only if it is allowable and the right thing. Someone early on in this discussion said it is not allowable and that has caused me to pause on the thought so we don't do anything wrong. Not trying to get something for free...just want to make sure everything is done the right way. I think my son has heard loud and clear the advice from HT and understands that he is probably several years away from a WY Unit 60 hunt...both financially (to afford a full on guide) and tag wise. We both appreciate ALL of the input and have taken it all to heart.

Not sure about you or your son's financial resources but if you are looking to hunt the biggest of the big bulls, you might look into buying a landowner tag or two in Nevada. You can get elk landowner tags there in the best units, they are unit wide multi-season tags so they allow you to hunt literally for several weeks if you choose to. You can hunt archery season, then muzzy season, then rifle season if you haven't harvested yet.

They are pricey tags no doubt but they allow you to hunt some of the biggest bulls in the US without waiting years building up preference/bonus points to draw. Added bonus of no grizzlies in Nevada. Plenty of wild county there and most Nevada hunts I have done you rarely see another person.

For people that want to hunt big bulls without waiting, and they have the financial means, this is probably your best option. With all the moisture they have had in southeast Nevada this year there should be some banger bulls running around down there.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back