Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Elk Planning with 11 Points as NR

Joe Hulburt

The two oldest boys and I have been buying Wyoming points for 11 years and honestly wish we had used them last year given the increase in cost of the Special tags this year but we didn't as we had a lot of hunts already planned. We want to at least apply for tags this year as none of us expect to draw any tags elsewhere. This is our situation...

We primarily archery hunt but would possibly make a trip back for rifle if we got a tag that allowed for it. I'm hearing the Type 9 tag areas are more crowded during archery than Type 1 areas than also allow archery hunting. Is this accurate?

We don't have pack animals but we're use to packing elk meat out of our backs a reasonable distance. With that said I am 57 years old so reasonable means taking that into account. The boys are tough as they come and will want to go a lot deeper in than I.

I don't care to hunt in Grizzly country if it can be avoided as I have no experience with them.

I'm confused why some of the units we could possibly draw with 11 points also have General Tags that could be drawn with a lot less points. What am I missing here?

We've Pronghorn hunted sage country in Wyoming 2 times and I have yet to see an elk in Wyoming so those areas seem to be off the table.

Any advice is appreciated! It's a lot to sort out for those of us with little knowledge of Wyoming.

Yes type 9 only areas are usually more crowded as people take them more seriously than if they can sleep in and come back with a rifle and put one in the dirt.

With all of the caveats you have placed on your hunt there is basically only 1 mountain range that fits all your bills. All of the type 9 tags in that mountain range are good and can provide a quality hunt for you and your family, regardless of which ones the internet says are better.

Good luck!

Unfortunately it was only 76% chance last year with 12 points for Regular tag and I imagine that the increase in Special tag costs will increase the points needed.
Looks like it’s time to pony up then. Your criteria limits you and if you want to do it all it’s going to cost you. You have waited 11 years that increase in cost is minuscule compared to the years.

Consider not burning the points for all three at once. Spread it over two years and almost certainly the one(s) hunting the 2nd year may have a better hut based on prior year experience.
That is a consideration! I personally might be willing to apply for Special tag before I get any older but my oldest son would not be able to afford it with a young family.

Do one son hunt and then follow up with your tag and other son. The Intel you grab from the fiest hunt should make it easier to tackle finding two bulls on the return trip. Find an overlapping reduced cow tag you can try to get so everyone can still hunt.

Out of the loop much?

I can't think of much worse than having 3 NR hunters with bull tags in 7 unless you have access to top private property or want to spend some $$$ going guided.

Way better units out there for what they're looking for.
Nope, I’ve hunted there a few times, I’ve been in archery distance of several bulls every year. I have yet to pay a trespass fee to cross private or kill cows on private. There is one particular state section that is very accessible that I have yet to see anyone on that has bulls every year.

I’m no master elk killer like you but it’s absolutely doable, especially archery.

The two oldest boys and I have been buying Wyoming points for 11 years and honestly wish we had used them last year given the increase in cost of the Special tags this year but we didn't as we had a lot of hunts already planned. We want to at least apply for tags this year as none of us expect to draw any tags elsewhere. This is our situation...

We primarily archery hunt but would possibly make a trip back for rifle if we got a tag that allowed for it. I'm hearing the Type 9 tag areas are more crowded during archery than Type 1 areas than also allow archery hunting. Is this accurate?

We don't have pack animals but we're use to packing elk meat out of our backs a reasonable distance. With that said I am 57 years old so reasonable means taking that into account. The boys are tough as they come and will want to go a lot deeper in than I.

I don't care to hunt in Grizzly country if it can be avoided as I have no experience with them.

I'm confused why some of the units we could possibly draw with 11 points also have General Tags that could be drawn with a lot less points. What am I missing here?

We've Pronghorn hunted sage country in Wyoming 2 times and I have yet to see an elk in Wyoming so those areas seem to be off the table.

Any advice is appreciated! It's a lot to sort out for those of us with little knowledge of Wyoming.
Area 25, 27

Yes, there is, and no amount of boot leather will change it.
True. I drew one as a second choice and still have yet to lay eyes on even a cow in that unit. Over 3 separate parcels of land. Happy to have an elk tag though….

Last edited:
I agree with what has already been posted. Perhaps only one son put in for a bull tag for 7, 25 or 27 next year and you and the other son put in for a couple cow tags for which ever unit works best for the three of you. Then from what you learn in 2024, the second son and you can use your points in the chosen unit and the first son can put in for a cow tag in 2025. Everyone gets to hunt and there is ample NF land in all three units. Just remember, how much work it will involve depending on what you kill. Be prepared! Good luck.

Nope, I’ve hunted there a few times, I’ve been in archery distance of several bulls every year. I have yet to pay a trespass fee to cross private or kill cows on private. There is one particular state section that is very accessible that I have yet to see anyone on that has bulls every year.

I’m no master elk killer like you but it’s absolutely doable, especially archery.
Oh, so now its 3 tags during archery to find 3 good bulls on one piece of State?

Good luck with that...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back