MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming cow recap

swmoelk

Just got back from a Western Wyoming type 6 tag with the wife. We waited until general season was over to try our luck. She has a disabled hunter permit so we spend 95% of her hunts in the truck but it gets us out west more often if we both apply for tags. Unfortunately I didn't draw this year.

We got to our unit Tuesday afternoon,shot her gun and had her dialed in to her 400 yard comfort zone,then checked into our hotel to get some rest after the 1200 mile trip from Missouri. Wednesday morning found us cruising some forest service roads and turned up a couple cows but we couldn't get closer than 600 yards so we left them and kept searching. Around 9:30 we glassed up a herd of cows and a couple big bulls about 1,000' above us so once again we just watched and enjoyed being in the woods. That afternoon we sat in a secluded bottom and turned up plenty of moose but no elk. Thursday was fairly unproductive as the weather started to warm and it seemed like all the game was laying low. Friday we found a park with a good Aspen slope adjacent to it and spent our morning there before calling it a day and heading home.

All in all not a bad hunt for her just couldn't get close. We like getting out after general season is over and the crowds have dispersed. We spent three days on a heavily roaded unit and felt like we had it all to ourselves. I've hunted there during archery and it's full of people but seems to be more elk in the early season as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20231101_165117010.jpg
    PXL_20231101_165117010.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20231103_154838485.jpg
    PXL_20231103_154838485.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20231102_002151960.jpg
    PXL_20231102_002151960.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
Sounds like you folks had a great time. Way to enjoy life with your wife !

Looks like real good elk country. Some of my best times have been with my wife hunting and all by ourselves...many times unsuccessful, but great times and memorable moments.

Thanks guys. Yes it definitely holds some elk. Even after the general tags are filled there's plenty of elk left .

I agree, sounds like a great hunt. You saw more elk than I do sometimes walking around in the woods.

She's an elk magnet. I've taken her twice and the first time she saw 22 bulls in 3 days on a cow tag. I tried to tell her that isn't normal for my elk hunting experiences. I'm usually lucky to turn up a handful at best when I'm solo.

Just got back from a Western Wyoming type 6 tag with the wife. We waited until general season was over to try our luck. She has a disabled hunter permit so we spend 95% of her hunts in the truck but it gets us out west more often if we both apply for tags. Unfortunately I didn't draw this year.

We got to our unit Tuesday afternoon,shot her gun and had her dialed in to her 400 yard comfort zone,then checked into our hotel to get some rest after the 1200 mile trip from Missouri. Wednesday morning found us cruising some forest service roads and turned up a couple cows but we couldn't get closer than 600 yards so we left them and kept searching. Around 9:30 we glassed up a herd of cows and a couple big bulls about 1,000' above us so once again we just watched and enjoyed being in the woods. That afternoon we sat in a secluded bottom and turned up plenty of moose but no elk. Thursday was fairly unproductive as the weather started to warm and it seemed like all the game was laying low. Friday we found a park with a good Aspen slope adjacent to it and spent our morning there before calling it a day and heading home.

All in all not a bad hunt for her just couldn't get close. We like getting out after general season is over and the crowds have dispersed. We spent three days on a heavily roaded unit and felt like we had it all to ourselves. I've hunted there during archery and it's full of people but seems to be more elk in the early season as well.
Beautiful photos

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back