Wyoming Elk Planning with 11 Points as NR

Because that’s what breeds all those cows on September? Unit 7 has an elk problem with huge herds of cows. Those big cow concentrations draw some really nice bulls, and quite a few of them. It’s not that hard to piece together where private land damage claims are. Then look at a map to see if there is accessible public that borders to those properties. In September those parcels are pretty magical.

As far as spikes and rags…

Pretty sure you’re grasping at straws to defend your stance.
Ever look at how many tags are offered in 7?

You'll have company on all the accessible public, BTDT.

I had a 7 tag couple years ago for a 5 point or less I drew it on second choice. Plan was to use that rag to scout for the big bull tag. Worked well I killed a little busted up rag. As I sit here with 12 points now I won’t be putting in for 7 and I will be waiting for all the guys such and you and your boys so I can draw a great tag

Y

Yeah, and bulls not worth shooting with an 11 point tag, why I didn't shoot them.

Also why I looked else where and never went back to the nursery herds with smaller six points.

Might want to read closer, those elk were between areas I was checking for older bulls.
You guessed those bulls to be about 320". I'm guessing that most NR hunters coming to Wyoming would be VERY pleased with a 320" regardless of the unit. My wife shot a bull that I bet barely makes 300 on her unit 100-1 tag last year - granted she really wanted to get it done with the bow and in that location, any bull with a bow is something. We never measured it and still don't have the mount back so I don't know exact score yet.

Also, I'm not expert judge of elk from photos, but do you have a score of the bull you took? I'm guess not a whole lot off of 320"??? I see a broken 3rd and the other 3rd isn't exactly long either.
1701893605689.png

You don't know, what you don't know.

Laffin'...
yes, you are right. You very unlikely had the unit 7 tag but if I had to wager my 10 elk Wyoming points, I bet I could safely say the unit/tag you did have neighbored it.

You guessed those bulls to be about 320". I'm guessing that most NR hunters coming to Wyoming would be VERY pleased with a 320" regardless of the unit. My wife shot a bull that I bet barely makes 300 on her unit 100-1 tag last year - granted she really wanted to get it done with the bow and in that location, any bull with a bow is something. We never measured it and still don't have the mount back.

Also, I'm not expert judge of elk from photos, but do you have a score of the bull you took? I'm guess not a whole lot off of 320"??? I see a broken 3rd and the other 3rd isn't exactly long either.
View attachment 304981
I don't think those bulls were quite 320, and no doubt young. Nothing busted, they didn't rut very hard. I showed the pics to someone in Wyoming that knows elk pretty well @JM77, he thought 310. No way I shoot those if I burned 11 points, no way.

The bull I killed was much wider, did have a busted third, but we both think it was 10+ years old. Sending the teeth in to know for sure. Regardless, the 360 bull in the bunch my buddy killed, mine, and the other 15 bulls were nowhere near any cows. Hunted there 6-7 days and never did see anything but bulls.

Good luck in the nursery herds...

Haven't taped my bull, hunted all but one day in November. No doubt better than the bulls in the nursery herds.

When I plan to use my 14+ Wyoming elk points, I know who I'll be calling (Buzz)...and I know who I won't (seeth07). He's like Huntin' Fool for Dummies.

When I plan to use my 14+ Wyoming elk points, I know who I'll be calling (Buzz)...and I know who I won't (seeth07). He's like Huntin' Fool for Dummies.
No need to call him up. He was hunting either Wyoming elk unit 16 type 2 or Wyoming elk unit 19 type 2. You are right in that range of points (12 points for 19 and 16 for unit 16) so you should probably put in for that hunt next fall.

No need to call him up. He was hunting either Wyoming elk unit 16 type 2 or Wyoming elk unit 19 type 2. You are right in that range of points (12 points for 19 and 16 for unit 16) so you should probably put in for that hunt next fall.
Not even close.

Like I said, you don't know, what you don't know.

Ever look at how many tags are offered in 7?

You'll have company on all the accessible public, BTDT.
Not part of the criteria set by the OP.

Honestly, in my 6 years there I’ve never had an issue with it. But I don’t stick around for the rifle opener, I’m long gone by then looking at a full freezer.

I would love to hunt over by 16 but the reality is when you helped Randy air that episode it killed it for 97% of all NR to ever draw it.

I’d take a general tag over 7 personally, especially for burning that many points.
Totally agree, way less access issues and way more options. Plus, no reason to drop the coin for a special fee tag.

The other thing is that a person would have a good chance to hunt a general area again in the future. Not much chance of drawing an 11-12 point tag again, general, absolutely will.

Right, nothing better than bumping into other hunters every day after burning 11 points.

You must have hit costco on your way home to fill that freezer.
You’re not the only one that can kill an elk. At 9 for 9 across 3 states I’ve seem to do ok. I have yet to not fill a tag. Although I’m sure that day is coming eventually.

I’m not a 90 elk guy, you have some years on me as you were telling people they were wrong on stone tablets. Lol

Yeah, you'd think BuzzH could say something positive to help these NR guys out if he's such an expert elk hunter. Probably has never killed one himself. I think his natural gift is pissing on his own hey dudes then he gets frumpy. Just sayin!!

Yeah, you'd think BuzzH could say something positive to help these NR guys out if he's such an expert elk hunter. Probably has never killed one himself. I think his natural gift is pissing on his own hey dudes then he gets frumpy. Just sayin!!
I'm crossing my fingers that 2024 will be the year I finally get lucky and kill an elk.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back