Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming 96 DIY Hunt

Gstephens

I drew my first tag in Wyoming for area 96. Newer to hunting. This is only my 4th Elk hunt and this is my first out of state hunt. Not planning to use a guide for this so it has cut down the places to hunt quite a bit. Been doing a bunch of e scouting and heading out a couple days before season starts to see if my spots hold water (or preferably elk...) Any advice for a first time out of state hunt or tips on filling my freezer in this area? If i can tag out with a cow, I would consider this a huge success.

Is that a limited entry area and what are the dates of the season ? I’ve never hunted elk in Wyoming but I Deer hunt a lot( and see a bunch of elk) . Don’t get married to 1 spot,If you’re not seeing sign move . It looks like that area , Being mostly wilderness , is pretty limited on what out of staters can hunt. Good luck

That's going to be a pretty tricky one for a first go. There's just not much public to hunt outside of the wilderness area. I'd focus on the north end of the unit, get on a high point and just camp out until to see something... good luck.

There are a lot of elk in that unit, but you are pretty limited as a nonresident where you can go. Honestly, your best bet is to wait until later in the season and hope the weather has moved those elk lower in the unit where they are more accessible.

Doesn't look to promising with doing it yourself, this is straight out of the WYGF Hunt Planner: Limited harvest opportunities exist for self guided non-resident hunters during most of the hunting season.

Good luck. I know the feeling. I drew a 16c New Mexico tag this year and have never hunted out of my home state. Lots of research and map studies. Hope you do well.

I used to live in that unit. Hunted it daily during the seasons for 8 years. Finding an elk out of the wilderness will be difficult. Hope for lots of snow and cold. Hunt right on the wilderness boundary.

Is that a limited entry area and what are the dates of the season ? I’ve never hunted elk in Wyoming but I Deer hunt a lot( and see a bunch of elk) . Don’t get married to 1 spot,If you’re not seeing sign move . It looks like that area , Being mostly wilderness , is pretty limited on what out of staters can hunt. Good luck
I drew 96-1 season starts Oct 1. I have a few days of scouting and my mpa has marks all over to start crossing off spots. Thanks!

I used to live in that unit. Hunted it daily during the seasons for 8 years. Finding an elk out of the wilderness will be difficult. Hope for lots of snow and cold. Hunt right on the wilderness boundary.
Thanks for that tip. I have lots of marks all over on my OnX. Ill start scouting the closer marks first.

There are a lot of elk in that unit, but you are pretty limited as a nonresident where you can go. Honestly, your best bet is to wait until later in the season and hope the weather has moved those elk lower in the unit where they are more accessible.
The tag i have goes thru November and goes from any to anterless. So worse case this is a good scouting trip to learn the area. Im not looking for Bull, a cow would be great. But all the research i've seen sounds like i'll be lucky to even see elk at this point out of wildnerness.

That's going to be a pretty tricky one for a first go. There's just not much public to hunt outside of the wilderness area. I'd focus on the north end of the unit, get on a high point and just camp out until to see something... good luck.
Thank you i'll check that out.

I hunted this unit last year as a nonresident. I found elk in 2 different places. Id be happy to help you out just send me a message.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back