Best shot size and chokes for chuckar

Mule man

Like to no what you folks prefer for chokes and shot size for medium range holding birds as well as what do you use for birds getting up a bit on the wild side?

Skeet and Improved Cylinder in my 20 gauge over/under. Size six shot. If the birds won't hold for the dog, I pass on the shot. If I didn't have a pointer and birds were flushing wild, IC over Modified would be my choice.

For my style/timing I like Estate High Velocity Hunting Load in 12 gauge
3 1/4 Dram Equiv
1 1/4 oz. of #6
I like to let the birds get out aways before I get on them. Modified choke.

Last edited:
I've used 5's or 6's with the modified choke on my 12 ga. which is the gun I use for everything. I have also shot chukars with 7 1/2 shot as well because we ran into them while quail hunting. (y)

DSCN0810.JPG

Whatever choke is in there and whatever shells i can grab... not like chukar hunting involves any killing :)
Proved my point today... 3.5 hrs of hard hiking, some shooting, and nothing died.

First trip with a gun for my little girl. @JLS and @teej89 might recognize the view.

20201010_150242.jpg

Classic bad dad moment. Right after the pic, the wind picked up even more, temperature dropped, and rain squall moved in. We were grossly under dressed. I took my shirt off to add to her layers. We ran/ fell back to the truck. I had to stop frequently to run back up hill to stay warm, still felt borderline hypothermic when we got to the truck.

Last edited:
Proved my point today... 3.5 hrs of hard hiking, some shooting, and nothing died.

First trip with a fun for my little girl. @JLS and @teej89 might recognize the view.

View attachment 157280

Classic bad dad moment. Right after the pic, the wind picked up even more, temperature dropped, and rain squall moved in. We were grossly under dressed. I took my shirt off to add to her layers. We ran/ fell back to the truck. I had to stop frequently to run back up hill to stay warm, still felt borderline hypothermic when we got to the truck.

I used to chase chuckar in wide open arid mountains and liked to use #6s with Improved and Full in my o/u. I found you have to hit them hard as they like to crawl into holes and crags when able after being downed

I run pointers, sixes and a modified choke in my Benelli while my SxS are full and modified.
Brittany man. I was in your neighborhood on the opener, the birds are there, hope you continue to mend. I won’t be back until Thanksgiving; I have to go elk hunting first season here and four days later I go for 10 days in Montana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back