Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite upland loads?

Jbotto

I’ve pretty much used the same loads for years in MN pheasant and now WY chukar and pheasant. It’s been a Federal blue box 1-1/4oz load of 5 shot in a 2.75” 12ga. Results have been good but a bit hard of the meat side of birds. Especially the chukars.
I’ve shot these for years through a 870 Express with 28” barrel and a factory Modified choke. Originally paid $17.79/box, wish I could find them again!

What are your favorites load combinations? What do you use them for? Looking for a general discussion to get my head back around a shotgun a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
When I was hunting chukar a lot I had settled on the Estate high velocity hunting load. Sportsmans Warehouse gave a discount for buying by the case. It specs out the same as your Federal load but I liked #6 shot.

Runnings sells the below HV Dakota Country Pheasant. Says Federal cartridge on the side of the box. about $2-$3 less per box vs. branded Federal. It's what I use for Pheasants / Sharptails... Shotgun Shells.jpg

Runnings sells the below HV Dakota Country Pheasant. Says Federal cartridge on the side of the box. about $2-$3 less per box vs. branded Federal. It's what I use for Pheasants / Sharptails... View attachment 307888
I might have to look for some of these. Federal ammo lines have changed up enough recently and I don’t think they make the “blue box” shotgun load anymore. I wonder if this is it.

Win AA Super Sport 7.5s on the head works for me for anything where I'm allowed lead and can choose coming or passing. Small, hard and fast works.

When I am in a situation where body shots are required, I have no confidence in anything being regular nor predictable. So I buy what looks cool and whang away. I've put in effort to find pretty patterns only to watch said patterns engulf a bird that kept on flying.

Keep the suggestions coming! I’m still looking for something good that’s available locally.

I liked the results this fall I saw from Remington Nitro Pheasant #4’s.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back