120gr BTs in a 7RUM

ruger243223

Is anyone running these. Just wondering if they will hold up to the velocitys. Just got a 7RUM and am looking at running these if the 120gr TSXs don't run very well. HAPPY HUNTING

Just wondering if they will hold up to the velocitys.
IMO, hell no. if you were talking about a 7-08 I would think 120 BT's would perform well on deer.....when you jump up to the velocity of the 7 Rum, not a good choice at all.
better choice would be 150 gr. accubond.

The 120gr BT have a pretty heafty shank on them, and IIRC were designed for use in the 7rem mag. Not sure they'll hold up out of an RUM... litterly, they might come apart leaving the barrel. :) Lots of better choices IMO.

Ruger, a 150 Scirrocco is only 200 fps slower than than a 120 NBT...3550 to 3350 (according to Conley charts)...Wouldn't the BC on the 150 be higher? I'm supposed to be at 3170 w/ 160 Accubonds outa mine.

I'm not sure they will come apart in flight, as the varmint BTs are up to over 4000 FPS. But I am not sure if they would hold up to impacting a deer at less than 100 yards. The TSXs are a much better bet at those velocities and I'd give up a little accuracy for reliable bullet performance.

That is pretty much what I have summed up. I am going to run a little heftier bullet if the TSXs don't shoot. I hope they will, there is something about 3700fps out of a large rifle that I just love. HAPPY HUNTING

Didn't someone famous once say that "He who is willing to give up a modicum of performance for a modicum of accuracy, deserves neither performance or accuaracy"?

:cool:

I wouldn't even consider using Ballistic Tips in the 7 RUM, especially a 120. There are many other good choices that have already been mentioned like the Accubond and Scirocco. For a lightweight bullet I'd use a 140 minimum, but a 160 would be even better, with the higher B.C. and still PLENTY of velocity out of the RUM.

well I am going to give them a try to see what kind of accuracy I can get. I am going to use this rifle for my long range gun. Shots will be in the 600yd range. Mostly will be used for yotes. Will use it for late season doe season. If they don't shoot I am going to try the 139gr Hornady interbond as these are cheaper. Might give a 140gr TTSX a try. I will let you all know what happens with accuracy and with the BTs. HAPPY HUNTING

Just FYI, but the 120gr BT has a thicker jacket and base than the other 7mm BT's. IIRC, this was to toughen up the bullet for sillywet shooters trying to tip over the rams...
For 'yotes and longer shots on does I can't see why they wouldn't work.

PS- I'd be interested in seeing how fast you can make them go.

I tried 125 gr. BT in my 300 RUM and they never shot well. I contacted remington and they said to watch the volicity because it will burn the barrel out. Just FYI.... Good luck.

Well I tried the 120s in my RUM, and they shot well, not great but they shot moa at 100. I need to do some more testing on velocity and get my chrony out. They shot better than the 120gr TSXs which were at 1.5 at 100. Anywho I have talked to some guys that are running them for long range hunting and they are working fine on deer sized game. I will post some pics if I can find the camera of the results of this weekend at the range. HAPPY HUNTING

I'd really go with(at least) a bonded bullet at that speed and weight. I know that Nosler and some famous gun writers claim that larger dia. BT's are game bullets but my (limited) experence with them on game tells me othewise.
I do use that bullet in a 7mmBR XP-100 and they hold together fine at 2300fps or so, but @ 3700? So if your shot is at long range, where the bullet has slowed, it should be fine. But under 200 yards or so?

Just wanted to point out that FPS is not the only indicator of dusting bullets. RPM's on the other hand are much better. If He was shooting a fast twist 1:8 he might dust them at 3700.

Just wanted to point out that FPS is not the only indicator of dusting bullets. RPM's on the other hand are much better. If He was shooting a fast twist 1:8 he might dust them at 3700.

True, but FPS is a good indicator of what may happen when the bullet hits flesh. That is my concern. Very few bullets today blow up in flight but a few will blow up on animals.

Absolutely. I was just referring bullets dusting out the barrel. Game performance is a whole other issue.

This load is only for long range doe and yote hunting. Should be alright past 400 with these. Talked to the guys at nosler and they were excited about the load. Should be able to get 3700 pretty easy and out to 6-700 should be good to go. I won't shoot anything closer than 200 unless it is a song dog!!. HAPPY HUNTING

The 120 Ballistic does well in the big 7's. I've taken big blacktail bucks from 50 to 630 yards with them as well as black bear, mulies and whitetails at ranges of 200 to 350 yards. I shoot a 7 STW and push these at 3600 fps. Kills critters like lightning. The down side to this bullet is that while getting complete penetration and some pass throughs they do bloodshot ALOT. Shoot a deer through the shoulders and you can pretty much just kiss them goodbye.

I tried 140 TSX's in my 280 Ackley this year and took a 4 point bull and a good 5x4 whitetail and these bullets passed through, breaking rigs and spine. The only downside to these bullets (if you can call it that) is that they did very little bloodshot. I like the animal to bleed a little if possible. They (TSX) are a very accurate bullet.......far more accurate than the original X. The published BC's on the TSX's are inaccurate though.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back