Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Oregon Coastal Blacktail

Joe Hulburt

Blacktail season ended for me Friday morning! I spent opening weekend on East side of state helping my son harvest a nice 4 point Mule Deer and didn’t start hunting myself until last Monday. An hour into my hunt I spotted this buck but with season running into mid November this year decided to hold out. Well, when I saw him again and got a look at how big bodied and grey faced he was I couldn’t resist. Heavy horned little rack which is common for Blacktails this close to the ocean.
IMG_5868.jpeg
With deer hunt over it freed up time to get one more Chinook in the freezer to get us by until Spring Chinook season!

IMG_5872.jpeg

Good deal! You've certainly had good weather for it! Sitting here in the motel in Portland, meeting up with the kid and his kids later today, but the high blue sky sure makes me wish I was on the river!

David
NM

Nice deer. Those black tails are so cool to me. I’m really hoping to go hunt them with a buddy on the Washington coast in the next couple years

great deer. Congrats. Only problem is you have to eat it.
Pretty tasty deer so far! Eating it won't be a problem but it will be a while before I can justify killing another critter as the freezers are full. Three species of deer, Roosevelt elk and assorted seafood. Good problem to have.

Pretty tasty deer so far! Eating it won't be a problem but it will be a while before I can justify killing another critter as the freezers are full. Three species of deer, Roosevelt elk and assorted seafood. Good problem to have.
Hey if you like it great. Congrats on successful hunt!

Is that a normal size for the blacktails on the coast? I didn't know they could get so heavy.

Love it! Got my first blacktail last season, and I’m blown away at how good it tastes. No hint of gaminess at all, most times I can’t tell it’s not beef most times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back