My once in a lifetime

Congrats! I'm dreaming of getting an Oregon Sheep Someday. I want to return to the Abert Rim area and harvest one someday though it is unlikely. I'll begin putting in next year for the 2025 season and hope to draw before my dad passes away in Oregon.
That would be a memory and a half!

Congrats an a beautiful looking Ram, is he your first? If so congratulations on exiting the club!
First one and most likely last but hopefully someday I can join someone on their hunt and I’d be happy just the same. Just watching them every day was an experience.

John Day River Oregon. Literally a once in a lifetime tag. Can't say it was my target ram since another group decided to act like it was general deer season and run straight up the hill and start shooting at the ram I had picked out. Despite being told by someone on the river that we were set up waiting for the right shot they charged ahead. Still happy as could be with this 165 ~8yr old ram. We also shot chukar and some geese to go along with the 100+ smallmouth we caught so it was a trip that I won't soon forget. If anyone draws this tag I would be more than happy to chat about what we learned floating this hunt. The last day of 20+ miles in the rain including 2 miles in the pitch black wasn't optimal but we got it done.

Great ram! Tell us more about the hunt, pics, etc.!

Congrats on a great ram! I saw quite a few sheep in that area behind you and across the river last June when we boated it with the family. Mostly young rams and ewes, no big boys like that though. Awesome country for sure. Would be great to hear more about the hunt.

Congrats! Sorry to hear about the shitheads, glad it didn’t completely ruin the hunt. Beautiful ram and beautiful landscape

John Day River Oregon. Literally a once in a lifetime tag. Can't say it was my target ram since another group decided to act like it was general deer season and run straight up the hill and start shooting at the ram I had picked out. Despite being told by someone on the river that we were set up waiting for the right shot they charged ahead. Still happy as could be with this 165 ~8yr old ram. We also shot chukar and some geese to go along with the 100+ smallmouth we caught so it was a trip that I won't soon forget. If anyone draws this tag I would be more than happy to chat about what we learned floating this hunt. The last day of 20+ miles in the rain including 2 miles in the pitch black wasn't optimal but we got it done.
Fargin beauty brother, congrats

Great ram! Tell us more about the hunt, pics, etc.!
Not even sure how to put it into words. I had quite a few guides call and mail info and also attended an orientation that wasn't required for this hunt but more info can't hurt. Side story after I left the orientation I drove to Montana/Idaho for work and had a young coug walk right up to me in camp on day 3 of my solo campout. Anyway, I opted to raft the river with some friends rather than pay for a guide to find me one. I appreciate the service they provide but I'm stubborn and need to do everything I can myself for the full satisfaction. We took 3 rafts down the John Day watching over 100 rams over
4-5 days before I pulled the trigger. Despite a few hikes of 6-8 miles and 2000-2400' of elevation gain I ended up seeing this ram taking a water break on the river. We had rafted a few miles without seeing a sheep so I started getting nervous knowing we had to get back due to everyone's schedule. My ram started at 50 yards but I needed to make the right choice so he go out to 300 before I shot. Lunged him on the first shot but he wasn't slowing down. Missed 2nd shot and knew if he was still going he'd have to run across the top of a dry waterfall which would be my last shot. I waited and when he jumped across i put one right through his heart just passed 300 yds. Due to the steep angle we weren't sure if he'd actually been hit. Some in my group were certain I missed clean and weren't sure if I would climb up the cliff to check. No chance I wouldn't make the climb so I packed up. One of our group hiked up the opposite side of the river and by the time I was halfway up he called on the radio and said "he's down but it's gonna be sketchy." The ram died with his head fulling hanging over a very large cliff which you can see in the red circle in one of the photos. I quartered him up right on the edge of the cliff giving a few friends a heart attack. A little sketchy getting down but we made it. The following day we shot more chukars and rafted 20+ miles in the rain to our takeout with the last 3-4 miles being in the pitch black. Not a great idea but we made it to warm trucks and a rough night's sleep. Checked the ram in at ODFW the following day for a 165 score and a long drive home. I'll see if I can add a few pictures.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back