New for this season?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
So my season has started already so I'm testing gear already.

New sneaky feet I made with felt soles. So far so good. Very quiet and the felt grabs onto rock like goat feet.
I bought a tarp from VIAM this year too. So far I've used it for shade and tossed it up when some hard summer storms came through. It's not too heavy and goes up easy.

Dan Durston X-Mid 2P. Had it set up in the backyard for the last week. We've had about 4" of tropical style rain (huge drops, deluge falls, winds). Not a drop of moisture inside the inner. Condensation on the inside of the fly, which is unavoidable on grass. Drains down the fly to the ground. Overall pleased with this 2.4 pound two person tent. BTW, it's huge for two people and a palace for one. If you don't use trekking poles add carbon poles for 5 more oz of weight.
View attachment 151978

Couple other things I'm looking forward to trying in the field.

Toaks large Ti gasification stove
View attachment 151979

Seek Outside Large U-Turn Stove
View attachment 151980

Bone Valley Desert Ironwood Bushcraft Knife
View attachment 151982

My New Artificial Knee! Best thing I got all year. :) View attachment 151984
I like that tent does it stake tight enough to the ground to keep snow out?

I like that tent does it stake tight enough to the ground to keep snow out?

Definitely. You can cinch it down right onto the ground. Or you can pitch it with 6" or more ground clearance. Just need to adjust your trekking polls.

The Ti stakes provided fit in the loops that hold the guylines. To use a Groundhog stake you'd need to add a small loop.

Durston has hiked a million miles (well, more than 4500 on just two of the many trails he has conquered). Everything about this tent is highly refined. Maybe it's so big inside because he hiked those 4500 miles with his wife. :cool:

Last edited:
I’ve been going back and forth if I should get a pair of kenetreks Or another nice expensive boot I just worry spending that much on them and then find out my feet don’t agree with them and be stuck with them
They are really nice and well constructed but I do get the dreaded "kenetrek heel". Do a search - there's a thread on here about it. Nothing a little KT tape won't fix but if I had to do it over again I probably would've tried a different brand.

A little late to the party. I revamped my whole set up to prepare for my first trip out west (Wyoming antelope).

Weatherby vg wilderness 300 wm
Monarch 5 10x42
FL corrugate pants and jacket

Plus a bunch of other random stuff like mid and base layers and a new down jacket.

Still need a better rangefinder and a spotting scope if anyone wants to chime in with suggestions

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back