New for this season?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Picked up a used Stone Glacier 6900 Sky Talus bag and XCurve frame and passed my old Stone Glacier Solo with Krux frame down to my son.

Bought my son a new Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm-08 with a VX-5 Firedot scope.

Substantially upgraded my sons camo with some of the small men's sizes on Camofire with a few of their off brands (Plythal, SKRE, Nomad, Browning, etc.) and hopefully have a couple years with them before he outgrows them. Hopefully bought good enough quality gear that I will be able to recoup a lot of the cost reselling it when he outgrows it. Tough to keep a kid in quality gear for sure.

Upgraded trekking poles as well to some that fold down easily enough and are light enough that carrying them in my pack is doable to have them available if things get rough or if I'm hauling out a heavy load. I tend to leave my older trekking poles back at camp too often thinking I won't need them and then get myself into situations that they would have really come in handy. Got some for my son as well.

Picked up a used Stone Glacier 6900 Sky Talus bag and XCurve frame and passed my old Stone Glacier Solo with Krux frame down to my son.

Bought my son a new Christensen Arms Mesa in 7mm-08 with a VX-5 Firedot scope.

Substantially upgraded my sons camo with some of the small men's sizes on Camofire with a few of their off brands (Plythal, SKRE, Nomad, Browning, etc.) and hopefully have a couple years with them before he outgrows them. Hopefully bought good enough quality gear that I will be able to recoup a lot of the cost reselling it when he outgrows it. Tough to keep a kid in quality gear for sure.

Upgraded trekking poles as well to some that fold down easily enough and are light enough that carrying them in my pack is doable to have them available if things get rough or if I'm hauling out a heavy load. I tend to leave my older trekking poles back at camp too often thinking I won't need them and then get myself into situations that they would have really come in handy. Got some for my son as well.
How do you like the 6900?

I ordered a new sirui tripod and va5 head from GoHunt this week, I’m excited to see how much of a difference they make.

How do you like the 6900?

Just used it once so far. I do think I'm really going to like the XCurve frame. I really liked the Krux frame a lot, and packed out some very heavy loads with it, but the XCurve is an improvement.

I think I'm going to run the lid on it even when in daypack mode, I tried it without the lid and found myself wanting one more separate pocket. The side pockets were a nice addition for sure. I ran with my spotting scope zipped into the left side and the tripod in the pocket strapped in and that worked really well.

I got my Solo pack when they first came out in 2013 and it has been used and abused and it is still running strong. I did send it in this off season to get some of the stitching fixed on my load shelf, I think I pulled the wrong way a few times on some of the straps and messed up some of the stitching and after 7 years it was time to get it fixed. They got if fixed for free and got it done quickly.

It really is amazing how adjustable those packs are. I'm 6'3" with a long torso and had the straps way high for me. I was able to easily get it adjusted to fit my son who is 5'5" right now and 105lbs. I would bet we adjusted it close to 5" shorter for my son from the belt to the top of the shoulder straps.

The medium belt says it goes from 31" - 36" waist but my son has about a 28" waist and it cinches down enough to fit him and I'm closer to a 37" waist right now and it fits me as well.

Last edited:
Just used it once so far. I do think I'm really going to like the XCurve frame. I really liked the Krux frame a lot, and packed out some very heavy loads with it, but the XCurve is an improvement.

I think I'm going to run the lid on it even when in daypack mode, I tried it without the lid and found myself wanting one more separate pocket. The side pockets were a nice addition for sure. I ran with my spotting scope zipped into the left side and the tripod in the pocket strapped in and that worked really well.

I got my Solo pack when they first came out in 2013 and it has been used and abused and it is still running strong. I did send it in this off season to get some of the stitching fixed on my load shelf, I think I pulled the wrong way a few times on some of the straps and messed up some of the stitching and after 7 years it was time to get it fixed. They got if fixed for free and got it done quickly.
I love the X-curve on my 5900 as well, and I use it just like you described for day hunts. Lid on, everything cinches down nicely.

Got the SIG KILO 2000 for archery this year , that was the biggest thing I really needed to upgrade, plus it’s a red readout which is great for morning and sunset low light situations

Attachments

• 1A28BC95-090B-49AC-8576-F5FC44FDB113.jpeg
    1A28BC95-090B-49AC-8576-F5FC44FDB113.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 6BF210E6-011A-4A96-B196-8B981FD3F4A4.jpeg
    6BF210E6-011A-4A96-B196-8B981FD3F4A4.jpeg
    892.9 KB · Views: 1
  • D8724337-059C-4CC9-8499-E9774843DA4C.jpeg
    D8724337-059C-4CC9-8499-E9774843DA4C.jpeg
    968.5 KB · Views: 1
New Browning X-bolt in .270 that I’m gonna use for some deer hunting this year. Big change from the 300WSM that I’ve been using.

Some Magnus Stinger broadheads.

First Lite Aerowool gloves.

True Timber down pants.

Probably pick up some more stuff before season starts.
Nothing too extravagant this year, saving money to get a Kodiak Flex Bow to try out next season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back