Montana Mountain Goat

I'm in the same boat Randy I leave for the Crazies on Saturday. Good luck on your hunt. Sounds like were gonna be fighting a little snow and mud.

On my way home from Wyoming this morning. We got a dump of snow this morning just in time to soak all our gear good. Gonna be a busy weekend of reseting all my gear for a Monday morning flight to Bozeman. Can't wait!

On my way home from Wyoming this morning. We got a dump of snow this morning just in time to soak all our gear good. Gonna be a busy weekend of reseting all my gear for a Monday morning flight to Bozeman. Can't wait!

Did you bring home a cooler of protein to sustain us on The Great Hunt?

Unfortunately, our coolers are empty, but not for lack of opportunity. We stalked quite a few nice muleys, but never sealed the deal. Last night, I could have probably filled my cow tag, but saw a big dark horned 4x5 (3in kicker on the left), and decided the cow was going to wait until rifle season. I got to about 45 yds, but he disappeared into the timber and never came back out.

Later I will post a link to a video of me missing what would have been my biggest Muley at 32yds. I was sick for the better part of two days.

Pretty darn excited for ya, Randy! Great company to boot!

Looking forward to the pics and rundown of the event! Stay safe out there! :)

All of this is supposed to go in on my back????!!!! Still need to add the tent Ross is bringing for me.

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 278.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 278.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 835
I like to give my friends something to remember a hunt and make it more special. Hopefully, they will be appreciative of the sentimental value attached to these items and will carry them with them each step of the way on this hunt. Friends are truly special and not to be taken "lightly".

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 280.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 280.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 839
I'm going to stuff myself with subs and burgers on the trip down there. I'm already hungry looking at my rations for this week. Randy better kill a goat early in the hunt. I've only got one bag of jerky. Still not sure about the freeze dried vegetable curry with rice that my wife picked up for me. Think anyone would notice if I substituted it for one of their meals? :)

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 281.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 281.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 829
All of this is supposed to go in on my back????!!!! Still need to add the tent Ross is bringing for me.

Thank you for the checklist of what I don't need to bring! Gaiters? I don't like your pessimism.

The rock is incredibly sweet, thank you buddy. I will carry it along as long as you glad fully accept my log gift to be found on site at the trailhead.

Just checking in. ...no dead goat yet. First day in tree atand. I better up my data usage plan.

Thank you for the checklist of what I don't need to bring! Gaiters? I don't like your pessimism.

The rock is incredibly sweet, thank you buddy. I will carry it along as long as you glad fully accept my log gift to be found on site at the trailhead.

I forgot my gaiters on my elk hunt last year. Soaked my legs and my boots from the wet grass on the trail. Spent the next couple days enduring wet boots because they never fully dried out and it snowed a couple times. I'm not planning on making that mistake again. You can thank me about Wednesday when you have dry feet.

I'm touched that you would like to return a gift to me. Will you carve your initials and the date on in before you give it to me or are you just planning on felling a huge hemlock with a chainsaw and lashing it to my pack?

Special thanks to Elkaholic- Dave Crisp for the bear spray. If we get into a close encounter with "Grizz" I'm not planning on living up to Ross' nickname of Grizz Whisperer Martin. I'm just going to spray the rest of the group with the counter assault and run screaming to the trail head. Ethical question.... if you have an encounter with a grizzly bear and your buddy has the keys to the truck in his pocket, is it poor form to ask him for the keys before you pepper spray him?????

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 282.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 282.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 821
Why in the world would you guys be needing rope on a mountain goat hunt? ;)

Any climbing gear or just rope? I still haven't bought any good rope yet, that stuff they use for climbing is expensive.

Not sure if my pack is big enough for all of this stuff; food, camp, cameras, etc.. My back and legs are hopefully tough enough, but I have some concerns. I guess I will know by this time tomorrow, once I shuttle in a load of gear and return worn and tattered.

Since Randy11 has committed to shoot nothing less than a 10" billy, you better pack more food, Gerald. We could be there for a while to find one the size he is looking for. I hope he is counting the length of both horns when he says 10" is his goal.

Why does Randy's rock look heavier than mine?!?!? You guys took all of the good gift ideas, I am going to have to get creative. Maybe I should just sneak a handful honey soaked huckleberries in your packs.

Gerald, have you heard of mutually assured destruction? If we see one of those brown buggers up close, I have a feeling there are going to be 5 pepper flavored dudes rolling around on the trail crying. Also, I see a lot of food and no TP type stuff anywhere??

He forgot about the mountain house factor though, I'm bringing 1 roll/day.

I thought the mountain house factor was the opposite way???? I was planning for one square of TP per mountain house. I want to be earth friendly and not cause the destruction of too many trees. I guess pine cones are an option if we run short. Although I've heard socks work well too. I'll just have to make sure mine are hidden and go through one of the other guy's packs.

[
I]Why does Randy's rock look heavier than mine?!?!? You guys took all of the good gift ideas, I am going to have to get creative. Maybe I should just sneak a handful honey soaked huckleberries in your packs.[/I]
Look again there friend. I made sure and got you a big rock so you wouldn't feel cheated. I didn't know goat hunters could be so sensitive about signs of possible favoritism among friends.

I hope Big Fin with his age and experience has matured beyond the point of needing special gifts to feel appreciated. I'm not sure I have any more lucky rocks. Maybe if he feels left out, I can let him pack my camera tripod in for me. :)

Not sure if my pack is big enough for all of this stuff; food, camp, cameras, etc.. My back and legs are hopefully tough enough, but I have some concerns. I guess I will know by this time tomorrow, once I shuttle in a load of gear and return worn and tattered.

Since Randy11 has committed to shoot nothing less than a 10" billy, you better pack more food, Gerald. We could be there for a while to find one the size he is looking for. I hope he is counting the length of both horns when he says 10" is his goal.

Randy, since I took that picture I stuffed about three pounds of my wife's homemade granola bars in there as well. If everyone is nice I might even share.

That's fine if Randy11 has committed to nothing less than a 10" billy. We just need to ensure that we retain control of the spotting scope and can convince him that the first goat we see is 10 1/4".

One other thing. I've already tried my pack on and am no longer volunteering to carry anyone else's gear. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back