Montana Mountain Goat

Good stuff Randy. It was nice to meet you on the road there. Was that bear in the drainage we met you?

It was the drainage to the north, off the end of the road I met you guys on. Hard to tell from the picture, but it was a heck of a big bear. At least it looked like it at 15 feet at five in the morning.

Stuck in town Saturday, but talked my dad into a long, long day trip on Sunday. Lots more goats spotted but still no shooter billies. I need to start hitting the out of way spots to figure out where the big boys are at.

P1060446_zps2fff669c.jpg

Handful of goats in this one if you zoom in-
P1060448_zpsb6c7c060.jpg

P1060451_zpsd1c22278.jpg

P1060454_zpsb7ee42a9.jpg

By far the gentlest country I've seen goats in yet.
P1060457_zpsb3351f3c.jpg

photo1_zpsc00abee9.jpg

photo2_zpsd0e7f84f.jpg

Great pics. I hope the rest of the scouting turns up your dream billy. Keep the dialogue flowing in the meantime. Very cool to follow along on this adventure. Nice color phase bear too.

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching your scouting updates and hopefully the billies will start becoming more accessible over the next month or two. When does your season open and are you planning on waiting a bit for better hair?

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching your scouting updates and hopefully the billies will start becoming more accessible over the next month or two. When does your season open and are you planning on waiting a bit for better hair?

Season runs September 1 through November 30. I'm taking September 13-28 off and hope to be hunting antelope in Wyoming for the second half of that. They'll still be pretty short haired then but this hunt means a lot to me, and I want to enjoy it as much as possible without worrying about weather.

Another soul fulfilling weekend amongst the goats is in the books. I think this weekend put me over 200 goats spotted so far this summer. Honestly it's probably 100 different goats with many being seen multiple times.

Almost bittersweet knowing the hunt itself is getting close. I don't want this to end.

400_zps8ce34bdd.jpg

681_zps480d08b5.jpg

682_zps5842a673.jpg

687_zps9977af97.jpg

689_zps8f37658a.jpg

411_zps0a568f69.jpg

Thanks for the update. That one bedded in the 2nd picture of the 2nd post looks like it has good mass on the horns, could you tell if it was a decent billy?

Just over a month for me until I'll be headed up there for my hunt!

Thanks for the update. That one bedded in the 2nd picture of the 2nd post looks like it has good mass on the horns, could you tell if it was a decent billy?

Just over a month for me until I'll be headed up there for my hunt!

That's the only view I was able to get of him, but yeah he looked pretty good to me. I was on my way out and behind schedule when I saw him, wish I would've had time to wait him out or try to get closer.

He's in a really popular spot, so I doubt he'll make it long once season opens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back