2011 Montana mountain goat

mdunc8, ya' gotta go for it. I did and got my mtn. goat in the Cabinet mtns. Altho', it was not a true ONYA hunt as I hired an outfitter for this most arduous hunt. I am 64 yrs. old and this, most truely, would be my only chance for this magnificent trophy. I would like Randy's permission to post this hunt story and pic. I assume nothing therefore I am asking permission first. MTG

Once again, a lot of hiking with nay a goat to be seen. After the last trip I ended up shooting a nice antelope. Hopefully the trend holds tomorrow with a big bull. Thanks to everyone who helped out.

Hopefully you are going back?? The weather still looks good out into the extended forecast. Seriously..let me know if you are planning another hunt, the goats I've been seeing in your unit wouldn't be too bad to get on. I've seen them everytime I've been in there.

Dude, you better not hunt another day of deer, elk, anything until you kill that goat..............Good luck, i expect goat pictures soon......

There are lots of goats in your unit man, get a hold of Drake, he'll line you out on where they've been.

MT Gunner- This is a hunting site. We want to see pictures of all goat hunts, outfitted or not. You don't need special permission to post the results of outfitted hunts.

I'm glad you got your goat!

Pics and story of my mtn. goat...

Guys, I do want to post my hunt. I need someone to post the pics and I will write the story. I'm not computer literate enuf to figure out how to post pics. Need help. PM me with your email address and I will email you pics to post. Thanks for the help. MTG

Guys, I do want to post my hunt. I need someone to post the pics and I will write the story. I'm not computer literate enuf to figure out how to post pics. Need help. PM me with your email address and I will email you pics to post. Thanks for the help. MTG

From MT Gunner

This is the story of my Oct. 2011 Mountain Goat hunt in the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness in NW Montana.

Sparks

The alarm was set for 3:30 AM. I awoke 15 minutes before it was to go off as this is quite normal for me. Up out of bed, fully dressed and ready for a cup of Joe and perhaps something to eat. By 4:30 all gear loaded onto the horses and started up the trail from the last gate. Pitch black on the trail for a three hour ride on uncertain ground to Rock Lake where the horses could be tethered for the day without concern. Climb to a point where we, my guide, wrangler and myself, could begin to glass the steep slopes of the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness. The beginning of a dream that I have had for many a year. A hunt for the North
American Mountain Goat.

In mid June of 2011 I was informed that I had drawn a very coveted resident Montana mountain goat tag for zone 100-00 in the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness region. My spring and summer consisted of walking, hiking, climbing the bleachers at our local high school football field. Preparedness is the key. By early October I was, in my mind, physically prepared for such an adventure. At this point let me say that nothing, but nothing can prepare a 64 year old man for such an adventure. Mountain goat hunting is mountain climbing with a rifle with the possibility of getting a shot at one of these magnificent creatures.

This was the morning of the first day of my quest to harvest a good Billy. After much glassing and discussion about the four goats seen that morning it was decided to climb to another basin on the opposite side of the mountain to look even more. I am not an accomplished mountain climber by any standards, although I have done a bit in my time and am reasonably confident in my abilities. It took us a good four hours to reach the new area agreed upon. There were some difficult traverses and large boulder fields to cross. The new basin was glassed to no avail as there were no goats to be seen. The time now was approaching mid afternoon and it was time to get off this mountain now to be able to do so before it got dark. We were approximately at 8000’ of elevation and descent had to begin immediately. My guide, Eric Weare, proposed that the wrangler and myself go straight down as we could see the trail below. It was a good long climb down. The last quarter mile down I literally was falling due to the pain in my upper thighs. Climbing up was tortue. Descending was much worse. We arrived back at camp after 8:00 PM.

The weather for the following day was not to be good. Rain was in the forecast. I informed Eric that I needed time to recover my legs. Good ‘nuff was his reply. I took four days off. Four days of ibuprofen, hot tub and rest to recover some semblence of muscle tone in my thighs.

The second full day started much as the first. The long horse back ride into the blackness of the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness. Riding up the trail gave me much time to reflect upon things that had led up to this adventure. At some point I may have been nearly sleeping, I saw sparks. Sparks? Up here? The horseshoes were striking rocks on the trail and sending off small light charges into the black morning. Strange what a person notices when not entirely focused on the matter ar hand. Off the horses at Rock Lake and off to the north wall this cold morning to glass the ledges for goats. Eric spotted a good Billy on the south face of the basin soon after setting. The Billy disappeared into a rock recess more than a quarter mile away and at least 800’ above us. We climbed the north face for more than an hour for a better vantage point to attempt to find this Billy once again. Eric found him at rest on a rock perch nearly opposite of our vantage point. The distance was laser ranged at 700 yards plus and at a 29 degree upward angle. My heart pounded like a trip hammer. I needed time to regain my composure before attempting this long shot. I took at least 45 minutes to prepare. Getting a good solid rest on my back pack and even dry firing my 300WSM a number of times for confidence I prepared for this long shot. The sear tripped and shot was away. The first shot struck six inches below the Billy’s chest. Jacking in another round and resetting took little time. Next shot went to the right as the wind had come up. Third shot wide again and the Billy was on the move up into the snow line. Enough! I elected to stop shooting as the only thing that could have happened would be a damn lucky hit and perhaps the loss of the animal due to where he had climbed to. The last thing I wanted was to wound one of these great animals and not be able to recover him. It was time to head back after a mere twelve hour eventful day.

Rain was once again forecast for the next day. I took two full days off to once again recover. It did not require as much ibuprofen this time, but the hot tub sure did help.

Third day, same routine as the first two. Up at 0:00 dark thirty AM. Pack the horses and off into the black abyss of the Cabinets. Rock Lake came quickly. Must be getting used to riding to some degree. At this point I would like to point out that my experience with horses in minimal at best. We climbed the south face of the basin once again to glass for a goat that Eric had spotted the day before. He was no more than 100 yards from where Eric had seen him the previous afternoon. Off we went to attempt this Billy at more than a half mile and who knows how much above us at this point. He was bedded in a notch in an avalanche drainage near the top of the north face of the basin. Three hours plus of climbing thru alders, bear grass, boulder fields and steep faces put us within reasonable reach of this Billy. Eric had spotted him many times during our ascent. We had to be careful to not be winded as we approached his perch. Not to be. We rounded this rock out cropping to discover that the Billy was on his feet and climbing higher. He had caught our scent. Got my rifle out of my pack in no time. Folded the bipod legs down and lay both on the rock above my head to aquire a firm rest. “Eric, how far?” Distance, 247 yards at a 65 degree angle.
My first shot went low. I chambered another round quickly. Second shot went high. Blast it all! Eric coached me to compose myself and focus. Breathe! Squeeze the trigger. I have done this so many times before. The third shot hit the Billy behind the left front shoulder taking his heart and breaking his right front leg. Down he came head over heels tumbling more than 500’ from where I shot him. I heard myself yelling “NO” as he he tumbled down and down the rock face above us. In my minds eye I saw him breaking his magnificent horns. Breaking god only knows what else. The Billy fetched up on a large square rock approximately 50 yards above us. Eric quickly climbed the additional 50 yards upward to the Billy. He’s OK yelled Eric! Get up here. I climbed up as fast as my old legs allowed. My Billy had a small cut under the left eye. The only outward damage from the fall. My Remington 700, 300WSM, along with my hand loaded cartridges had done what they had been designed to do. The Billy was dead even before he had started to fall. The third shot had been true. My Billy had suffered little to nothing upon the strike of the 180 grain Nosler Accubond.

Eric skinned and butchered the Billy in less than an hour. On the way up I had worked up a damn good sweat. An hour on this north face was due cause to make me cold with the wind coming up from the basin floor. Time to pack this guy up and get the heck out of Dodge. I have to give Eric a lot of due as he packed the Billy all the way down to the horses without so much as asking my help. The man is half mountain goat himself. Eric grew up in northwestern Montana. He guides in Alaska and Montana each year. He is trully one tough SOB.

I have taken my much sought after North American mountain goat. He is currently at the taxidermist ready to go to the tannery. Upon returning he will be immortalized in a full mount on a rock perch to be hung in our entryway. His flesh will be prepared as a hard sausage to be savored by many. There were times, on the many rock faces, that I had to call upon my lost son to help me in my resolve to continue this most arduous hunt. He was with me in spirit. Thank you Matthew. I miss you so much!

Those who desire to hunt the many amazing trophies in the world should not hesitate to do so. Life is not a dress rehearsal. You go this way but once. Dream big! Hunt hard. Kill swiftly. Offer no excuses! I hope you all enjoy my grand adventure. Tom Myers (MTGunner)
mtgunner1.png

mtgunner2.png

mtgunner3.png

Last edited:
MTGunner - you would be welcome in my camp anytime. Great story and nicely done - told as was with no BS.

And by the way - you can't be old - hell you're my age.

mtmiller, thank you immensly for your help to post my story. This was my 1st, last and only shot at getting a mountain goat. It was a difficult, but satisfying experience. If anyone happens to get an opportunity to do this hunt I would say go for it. I had to tell it as it happened to be true to myself and all that might digest this saga. Thanks again all. MTG

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back