Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2011 Montana mountain goat

Yeah, no bear spray for me. Glock 10mm with 200gr FMJ bullets. I did see one Griz and a couple of black bears while I was up in that country. Never had a bear bother me yet, but it's been a bad couple of years out here in MT for attacks/encounters.

Heading to the mountains bright and early tomorrow. I've only got four days to make it happen (maybe for the entire season), so I'm not sure how picky I can be. The weather doesn't look too great tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to hiking around those hills covered in a fresh blanket of snow and hopefully clear skies on Saturday.

Man, that would be tough to swallow. Hope you get another chance to go out.

Hope you can get another chance at it. Make sure to emphasize that this is a once in a lifetime type opportunity!

Let me guess, snow and miserable conditions.Its a hard gamble to wait until early october because there almost always is a week of crap in the high country.(speaking from experience).Now the hunt becomes all the harder.Its a tough psychological game and the physical challenge just doubled.Hang in there,plenty of time.Give yourself a break to recharge and hit it again.Don't settle for less, ....I did and regret it to the day.In hindsight I should have been more patient.Now I'm hoping for another chance.Good luck,its a great hunt,but more fun without the white stuff.Only other advice from a one time goat hunter I have is move your hunt area.I watched billies all summer into september,but once the snow hit they disappeared
from that zone.Long story short, I shot a nanny at 10,0000 ft. in 3 ft.of snow, I think i was partially delirious on day five.Big screw up.:(.

I can't believe I'm actually typing this, but I'm thinking of voluntarily eating this tag. I have the option to head back to a new area for a goat or spend four solid days out of the backpack chasing elk/deer. I'm leaning towards elk since I only have three half days under my belt this year and an empty freezer. I have until next Tuesday to make up my mind.

Doood, you can hunt elk any year. I'll give you all the elk meat you can choke down. Go goat hunting.

Doood, you can hunt elk any year. I'll give you all the elk meat you can choke down. Go goat hunting.

For sure Dunc. you can chase elk every year...Goat maybe only once in a lifetime. Also you have awesome elk hunting right out the back door with cows being legal...I can tell you from personal experience just going out when you can get a couple hours can turn up a meat cow.

Holy crap dude, you can't choose an elk hunt over mountain goat............If you have three or four days to go, get up and get a goat..........We have been seeing goats in your area every time we go, all you need to do is get there and do it. This next 10 day window is looking like ideal goat hunting conditions. DO NOT pass on goat hunt to shoot some stupid elk. I will have an extra elk this year, i would be willing to donate some to the duncan fund if you really end up shorthanded................plus i will have roughly 7-8 deer in the freezer i would be willing to donate as well:)

For sure Dunc. you can chase elk every year...Goat maybe only once in a lifetime. Also you have awesome elk hunting right out the back door with cows being legal...I can tell you from personal experience just going out when you can get a couple hours can turn up a meat cow.

Exactly, escpecially since they are predicting a snow year like last year........where any person that could fog a mirror could shoot an elk....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back