Wild West Custom 7mm-08 ?

:confused:
Post the pic when able, sounds interesting to me.

.... it has to look better than an Encore.;)

Gotta be careful when posting a 'does this dress make my azz look big' query.:D
I think that last one sums up this thread quite well. :D

Guess I should have known better, people have personal issues and relationships with firearms that render them unable to break from a mold. oops....
Break it for us! However, to get stainless/composite and light for high country hunts, I bet you can find lighter and more available options for cheaper.

I said what I'd give for such a rifle, but I bet that seller wants at least 3X what I said I'd pay. WWG SS/Composite lever-gun lists on their website starting at $2400 and only goes up from there and their bolt action starts at $4000. I'd guess that a used one on a Savage 99 would be at least 1/2 of either of those two, but probably more as the 99 action isn't listed as one they use for a production type offering.

BTW, what is the seller asking and what do they list the weight as?

A few...

Attachments

• P4010187.jpg
    P4010187.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,821
  • P4010188.jpg
    P4010188.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,614
  • P4010189.jpg
    P4010189.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2,805
  • P4010190.jpg
    P4010190.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,585
Not gunna lie I thought it was a horrible idea, but I kind of like it. Probably wouldnt drop the coin myself on it but it aint all that bad. Im waiting to have money for when one comes up in 338 fed.

Thanks Harley...6.4lbs Not too bad. From what I understand that action can withstand anything a 7mm-08 has to throw at it. I think we all know its about placement.

Thanks Harley...6.4lbs Not too bad. From what I understand that action can withstand anything a 7mm-08 has to throw at it. I think we all know its about placement.

Looks that way.

I'd double check on the overall length of the magazine. Looks like it was made to work with 2.6 cartridges and so you might have to seat the 7mm-08 a little deeper. There is some info out there saying that Savage chambered a few of these in 7mm-08 in the 60's. Not sure if that's true, but it would be interesting to know if they customized a rare 99 for this.

If you like it, go for it. :)

There is some info out there saying that Savage chambered a few of these in 7mm-08 in the 60's. Not sure if that's true, but it would be interesting to know if they customized a rare 99 for this.

I think it was 284 winchester that they did, I know a 99F in 284 fetches well north of $1000 typically...unless Savage ran some wildcats back in the day.

It doesn't look too bad, but I think the flutes are too pronounced. A schnable tip would have been cool.

There were a small number of 99's chambered in 7mm-08 towards the end of run. That's the beauty of the 99, it allows for some more modern caliber choices in a lever action gun.

Wwg

WWG does as fine a custom gun of ANY kind as any smith I've seen - they specialize on lever action custom work of all sorts and they stand behind their work

Savage 99 in 300 Savage

This is my version, dated from 1951 and still puts three into 3/4" with 165 grn Grand Slams, five opens up to 1-1/2", I can live with it! :hump:
I have used this in the rain and snow, no problems, just a thorough cleaning when done, nothing against synthetics (I even own one).
Granddad hunted in the snow for decades in Wisconsin, all he ever used was Blue & Wood, no worries!
firearms 091.jpg

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back