My journey with a custom rifle

VAspeedgoat

I found at least two threads I created discussing various topics as I was working on my first custom made gun. I thought maybe some people remember helping me and maybe others will read this as a warning if they do the same without a clue like me.

My custom gun began life as a 700 mountain rifle in 7-08......I hated it. It shot ok but it didn't balance very nice. The barrel was thin and heated up quickly and the stock, though a Bell and Carlson, seemed bulky. That was especially at the forend. Nothing like the thin stock of the original mountain rifles. I began eyeballing some high end rifles that I liked better. Then it hit me. Maybe I can get another stock!

Many months later, I had a budget and an idea in mind. I took a rifle I had that pointed very well and took it with me to the gunsmith. We talked about the various stocks he worked with and found one that fit perfectly. Then the question of balance and the way it pointed led him to talk about a new barrel. It was 23" and fluted to balance while maintaining a light weight. My budget became immediately strained.

I was assured I would be able to sell the barrel and the stock and with that I could just about swing it. I ended up with a pinched barrel trying to take it off the reciever and a stock I still hate and still own. Regardless the deposit was made and we were off.

The first hiccup came when his carbon fiber stock maker went out of business. I tried an alternate stock and thought it should be smooth sailing.

The next decision was to make a choice on cartridge. This was the subject of at least one thread. I ended up letting practicality rule the day and stayed with 7-08. I even saved a little extra money to get it all cerakoted. Heck yeah can't wait.

Version one didn't look like what I had in my mind. Despite me trying the stock before, I didn't like the lines of the forend.....again. But the gun shot well and had a VXR scope with a tmr reticle. Very cool.

After one season all I could do was stare at the stock I hated. It sat in the cabinet for a season till I saved a little cash and worked up the nerve to pursue another stock. To my surprise, my gunsmith had started molding his own stocks and admitted he didn't like it either. All I paid was labor and we traded stocks. This time I shorted the length of pull to fit a bit better with backpack straps or bulky coats. Not too much but a little.

Version 2 came and was immediately my best shooting rifle. Light, accurate and ready to go.......I hate the scope.

The VXR is a great scope and I got the TMR reticle after one of my first trips out west because we had low end rangefinders and the reticle allowed me to range in a pinch. The issue with the scope is that the crosshairs are very thick and it had adjustable turrets on it. Call me old fashioned but I don't trust it in brush or carring on a backpack. I constantly fretted. The thick crosshairs also made it hard to shoot at paper because it would cover a dot. Dealt with that for several seasons until I couldn't take it any more. Schmaltz remedied that issue with a vx3i and version 3 was great.

Perfect, except I began to be frustrated with the 7-08. As I said, it was very accurate and very capable. But I had already invested so much time and money why not. It was just boring, sorry to offend buy it had no personality for a custom gun. Another thread and I eventually pulled the trigger on rechambering to .284 win.

Lack of time ended up to another lost season but I finally shot version 4 last weekend. I bought custom ammo from Reeds ammunition shooting a 140grn CTBST at 2900 fps. Bore sighted it at 50 made one adjustment and went to 100yds. Fired three rounds and was done. As luck would have it it was 3" high which is generally what I do in deer rifles. Ready to hunt.

My boys and I tried a new spot with a late rifle season. Trecked as far from the parking area as possible and sat down for a short bit in a saddle I found with fresh sign. Tagged a nice buck. The short length fit perfect with the backpack straps and the load worked flawlessly.

It was a very long journey and I have enjoyed it. However, anyone reading this that is considering going the custom route should be warned. You better spend a ton of time considering every small detail. Also don't start until you have enough money to do the job right.

I still want a better fitting sling and I intend to push the velocity when I reload. I can eject a loaded cartridge up to 2.9" and maybe a bit longer so hopefully I can gain case capacity. But that will let the journey continue I suppose.

Attachments

• 665687F2-68B1-4332-8E8E-63E17BDCF719.jpeg
    665687F2-68B1-4332-8E8E-63E17BDCF719.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 41C478DC-1BB3-4215-B6C9-682F8A6DE8FE.jpeg
    41C478DC-1BB3-4215-B6C9-682F8A6DE8FE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 263A9036-ECD6-4680-AE89-87AA64AD1CB4.jpeg
    263A9036-ECD6-4680-AE89-87AA64AD1CB4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 83
  • B28703A7-7A57-42F2-A36F-6B7478B5C4E4.jpeg
    B28703A7-7A57-42F2-A36F-6B7478B5C4E4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
  • 29E3E075-52C3-4CD4-8150-898282452BFD.jpeg
    29E3E075-52C3-4CD4-8150-898282452BFD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 81
If you put that original B&C on EBay you will fetch a good price for it. Same with the optic, won’t last long and don’t be afraid of a penny start, both will do well.

I hate to burst your bubble but the 7mm08 shoots a 140g faster than 2900fps. Rechambering to a 284 Win was a waste of money if your not going to shoot it at what it’s capable of.

Glad you now have 'your' rifle. That's the nice thing about a custom, it's yours. Sure someone will disagree with the barrel, stock, trigger, etc. (the perpetual Chevy vs Ford vs Honda Ridgeline thing), now go enjoy it. I've used local gunsmiths, Oregunsmithing in Pendleton, and others I've never met, Short Action Customs in Ohio, and been very pleased with the results of both.

That’s quite a story and it turned out pretty, glad you have your rifle now. There’s some quote about the journey being more important than the destination anyway…

That’s a good looking stock, who did the work if you don’t mind me asking? I’m shopping for options on a model 7 right now and there are way fewer options than the 700s.

That’s quite a story and it turned out pretty, glad you have your rifle now. There’s some quote about the journey being more important than the destination anyway…

That’s a good looking stock, who did the work if you don’t mind me asking? I’m shopping for options on a model 7 right now and there are way fewer options than the 700s.
Jack Kiester Customs here in VA. Great guy and gets that some guys are on a budget.

If you put that original B&C on EBay you will fetch a good price for it. Same with the optic, won’t last long and don’t be afraid of a penny start, both will do well.

I hate to burst your bubble but the 7mm08 shoots a 140g faster than 2900fps. Rechambering to a 284 Win was a waste of money if your not going to shoot it at what it’s capable of.
I put that out as the load it was shooting from the place I bought it from, I included that I wanted to push velocity a bit and hope to hit 3-3100. I hope to gain case capacity by lengthening the COAL. Though I will ask, what factory ammo is pushing that fast? Maybe I want that in my other 7-08s. Generally I find it to be 2850 and handloads pushing faster. Just like the .284 with some of the modern rip snorter propellants being able to hit 3100 or faster with enough case capacity from being able to seat the bullet farther out.

I put that out as the load it was shooting from the place I bought it from, I included that I wanted to push velocity a bit and hope to hit 3-3100. I hope to gain case capacity by lengthening the COAL. Though I will ask, what factory ammo is pushing that fast? Maybe I want that in my other 7-08s. Generally I find it to be 2850 and handloads pushing faster. Just like the .284 with some of the modern rip snorter propellants being able to hit 3100 or faster with enough case capacity from being able to seat the bullet farther out.

Nosler Etips advertises 2875 and Hornday’s Superformance copper is over 2900.

Load data has it up to 2950 with Big Game, my rifle shoots hand loaded Nosler BT using big game at 2900.

284 Win has way more case capacity and should easily top 2900.

Nosler Etips advertises 2875 and Hornday’s Superformance copper is over 2900.

Load data has it up to 2950 with Big Game, my rifle shoots hand loaded Nosler BT using big game at 2900.

284 Win has way more case capacity and should easily top 2900.
I'm hoping, may take a look and see if we can get the superformance to shoot in our 7-08s. The stuff I bought was loaded at 2.8" and at a lower pressure to be used in older firearms as I understand it. Bottom line I will just like whatever it likes.......just hope it's 3000 or over.

I'm hoping, may take a look and see if we can get the superformance to shoot in our 7-08s. The stuff I bought was loaded at 2.8" and at a lower pressure to be used in older firearms as I understand it. Bottom line I will just like whatever it likes.......just hope it's 3000 or over.
If you’re willing to drop in grains a little bit Barnes loads the 120 ttsx, the model 7 I have likes them and deer don’t BB3683D0-DC21-4931-926D-B0B501809C1F.jpeg

I'm glad you're finally happy with it ... for the time being anyway. Tinkering can be an addiction. That's okay. Better than smoking, chewing, boozing, or gambling. Yeah, it can become kind of a senseless waste of money, but most hobbies are. If you can afford it without impacting the family, it's an investment in mental health.

I have done some significant tinkering to the WWII Springfield my dad first tinkered with back in 1962. It's had pretty much an entire makeover and all of it but rebarrel and rebluing I did myself: new Timney trigger, three different scopes, new safety, added iron sights, restocked, bedded, rebedded, replaced Weaver bases with custom steel rail, replaced Weaver extended rings with Warne QD rings, and refinished the wood with Linspeed at least twice. It's a gun that will always be a reflection of me. Maybe that will mean something to my family someday ... but no one else. Resale value MIGHT be $400-$500 ... IF the seller had LOTS of time to find a buyer. Purely a labor of love. Custom guns are rarely a sensible investment.

This may help you.

I've been shooting 284 long action OAL 3.200" since 2017.

Something I discovered about rifles is until you've got a lot of miles behind you with rifles, what's best for you is simply another mans opinion! On the other hand you have a rifle you sorta like and shoot it enough to learn how to shoot it and it bcomes a favorite, pretty much with it's faults!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back