Kentucky Elk Draw 2024

Ky had the best elk hunt in America as far as harvest and a chance for a trophy. Those days are long gone. If you draw a good regulated area it is still good. If not, you get to hunt a hog mess of autumn olive and sericea lespedeza and chiggers!!!! Most strip mines are nothing like they were early on. It is sad what happened. Stripped mountain tops become perfect for invasive trees that grow 10 times faster then natives. Burning is the only economical and effective way to control this but sericia wont carry a good flame. If it would of been reclaimed with native warm season grasses, fire would control these invasive foreign trees and created awesome elk habitat. To late now:(
There are only 2 regulated areas worth a damn. Rest of the states sucks for a diy hunter with no access to private. The elk are harrassed by deer hunters, poachers, atv riders and target shooters on public land. I drew a cow tag in 21, what a sham.

There are only 2 regulated areas worth a damn. Rest of the states sucks for a diy hunter with no access to private. The elk are harrassed by deer hunters, poachers, atv riders and target shooters on public land. I drew a cow tag in 21, what a sham.
Yep. If people demanded action at commisuon meetings and to kdfwr something may happen. I remember complaining to some regional biologist and he said they were gonna spray with helicopters. That certainly sounds ecomomical!!!! Its all about side by sides riding on WNAs, not elk hunting. Its to late to fix

I quit putting in for the Kentucky elk draw for the above stated reasons. I'd love to hunt elk relatively close to home, but it sounds like it would be an exercise in futility. I'll pass.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back