Who uses an AR style rifle for hunting?

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
Hm. Spray and pray.. Need more practice..

Are there any videos I can post to counter your prejudice, or would it be beside your point?

Post whatever you like, shoot whatever you like. My point is only that most folks underrate what more traditional rifles are capable of doing with a little practice. Watch that video from 17 minutes to 27 minutes and to see what a good shooter can do with a bolt rifle.

In any event I was responding to BucksnDucks, "but for predator hunting an AR platform with low magnification optics is just plain faster target accusation than a scoped bolt rifle." Hans Christian proves otherwise.

I use an AR to hunt coyotes here in the midwest, my go to rifle for it. You hardly ever get a standing shot the way we hunt (hounds) so a running shot is what you get. We hunt to do predator control, they are very hard on our deer and pheasant population. Landowners want them go and I don't want them on my property either. I still carry a bolt gun in really big sections that are more open. AR's are uncomfortable to carry. My AR is lightweight and weighs in at 7lbs 12 oz. I have a bull barrel upper, safe queen...

Post whatever you like, shoot whatever you like. My point is only that most folks underrate what more traditional rifles are capable of doing with a little practice. Watch that video from 17 minutes to 27 minutes and to see what a good shooter can do with a bolt rifle.

In any event I was responding to BucksnDucks, "but for predator hunting an AR platform with low magnification optics is just plain faster target accusation than a scoped bolt rifle." Hans Christian proves otherwise.

Your pejoratives indicate to me exactly what your point is.

Yotes and pdogs. Stainless heavy barrel rock river.

My uncle has this exact setup. Rock river arms 223. It’s a fun gun to shoot. Almost no recoil, it’s very accurate, and the follow up shots are way faster than a bolt action. IMO its a great option for coyotes and prairie dogs.

My father started my big game career in the 80s with a rem 7400 in 308. That semi auto is well worn now but I hope it will be what my children start, but if they are more comfortable using an AR-10 I'm fine with that too. I've never had an issue using a semi

I hunt predators and varmints with an AR on occasion. I deer hunted with a 223 AR the first year that caliber was legal in MN. Will never hunt big game with that caliber again. I harvested a big doe and even though it was a solid heart shot, she went 50 yds and there was no blood to track because of the small entry wound and no exit. I was glad it was not a marginal hit. I advised a buddy not to hunt with his 223 ar last year, but he did and ended up loosing the buck he shot with it. He regrets not taking my advice. I would consider a 300 BO, 6.5 grendal or 450 bushmaster if I just had to hunt with an AR 15. I like the weight and ease of carry of a collapsed stock AR 15. I hunted once with a 308 AR and that was enough for me. They are not an easy carrying option because of dimensions and weight. I really like them for predators and the range, but prefer my bolt guns for bigger game.

I bought one and they are fun to shoot. We now have a lot of hogs that come though the Lease now so I might use it for that. As for the need for speed in hitting a target under "stress"???? I have to say that my Model 1 is my most accurate and fastest, even over my Bolt action. ARs and Tannerite makes for a lot of fun during the off season. John

I'm a gun lover, have everything from H&R singles to my ARs, levers, bolts, pumps, and hunt with all but a couple home defense pieces.

It's funny, most hunters (or people claiming to be) aren't against black plastic, most any bolt gun under $600 wears it. And they don't hate semi-auto, as in the traditional Remington 7400s, BARs, etc. But put the 2 together and suddenly it's a "military grade" weapon nobody "needs."

My plastic semi-autos don't have the same sentimental value to me that the walnut stocked single shots I grew up using do, but they're still darned effective hunting rifles.

I think a lot of resistance to using ARs for hunting come for 2 main reasons: 1) weight and 2) caliber

You're always gonna be able to get a bolt gun in a lighter weight package than a semi auto because there are more parts required to make a semi function vs a bolt gun.

Just the same, ARs don't come in popular western hunting calibers like 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag unless you wanna pay several thousand for a Nemo. The BAR comes in some of those chamberings but again a bolt gun is lighter.

I don't currently own one but I would imagine this style firearm to come in handy for quickly filling 7 muley doe tags in region 7 this year before the whole herd has a chance to get onto private land.

Wow! That's a great idea, just start shooting as fast as possible from your 30 round magazine into a herd of deer and see how many actually fall and see how many limp away with a leg shot off to die somewhere. Brilliant!

Perhaps because you can buy it off the shelf in some configuration that works, some of this may make sense. But I keep wondering what it does that I can't do with a traditional firearm except spray and pray (or prey as it were). I have shot ARs a few times only. And I own but rarely shoot a Krag bolt rifle, but I can find lever guns and single shots that are fast handling, quick pointing, greatly accurate, and easy to carry. I know that for certain, because there is a pile of them in my safes.

I occasionally think I should buy an AR just to have one. But I cannot for the life of me think of why I need one.

Maybe you just need more practice. Check out these guys - the shooting starts at the 3 minute mark and don't let the language stop you. You don't need to speak Norsk to understand what's happening here.
[video=youtube;4cnAwRJc7Sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnAwRJc7Sw&t=712s[/video]

PS. Spoiler alert: The semi auto guys lose
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion to practice, duly noted. I will up my training regime. I'm sure the Norwegian video correlates to predator hunting in the west. I'll watch it when I have an hour to kill.
Anyway, you don't need an AR. I will not try to convince you to buy one. But if you want to discuss merits of a fast, light, accurate rifle topped with a aimpoint, ACOG, or 1-4 power scope for predator hunting I will say I like em. If I expect quick shots in close out to a couple hundred yards this is the tool I choose. Again, this is predator hunting or pigs at fairly short range. Plenty of guys have success with higher powered scopes, but then the benefit seems to be just low recoil and quick follow up shots.

Here we go with .223 is too small for deer argument again.. I've said it a thousand times, and it's still the truth. Strong language can just about kill a deer on the spot. A good bullet out of a .223 is plenty for deer..

My granddad said one time, "if you make a good shot and the animal dies, it doesn't matter if you used a 223 or a 500 nitro express cuz it'd still be dead."

Wow! That's a great idea, just start shooting as fast as possible from your 30 round magazine into a herd of deer and see how many actually fall and see how many limp away with a leg shot off to die somewhere. Brilliant!

XbrYmqu.jpg

Here we go with .223 is too small for deer argument again.. I've said it a thousand times, and it's still the truth. Strong language can just about kill a deer on the spot. A good bullet out of a .223 is plenty for deer..

I know it will kill them, but it ain't what I'd use to deer hunt with regularly. mtmuley

Darwin is reading this and the 25-naught first world problem thread and shaking his damn head...;)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back