Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Student Loan Rifle

PawPawWPG

I married my wife six years ago and her wedding present to me was a SIGNIFICANT student loan balance - think med school but without a doctor’s salary. I love her, so we’ve busted our butts since then to pay them off and one of the ways I’ve kept from feeling resentful is the idea of buying a heirloom quality gun at the end of it.

We’re about three to five months out from the final payment, depending on bonuses, so it’s time to start researching.

I live in SW Michigan and I use a straight wall rifle for the majority of my hunting but with these loans gone I can start thinking about trips up north or out of state. Besides my 450 Bushmaster and AR I don’t own a center fire rifle.

I’m pretty much set on a .280 AI (I reload) and I’d like a wood stocked rifle. Eventually I’d like to be able to give this to my daughter and tell her the story behind it - but I want it to be well used at that point.

Any ideas on what direction to look over the next few months?

I believe a significant chunk of the “heirloom value” is the sentimental aspect of Heirloom. Memories.

For me, Brownings, Weatherby V, Fierce and Coopers are on the list. Finding a nice old Model 70 or REM 700 would also work.

If you have the dough - really hard to beat Cooper. My brothers is very nice.

Well done on the loan amortization work!

I believe a significant chunk of the “heirloom value” is the sentimental aspect of Heirloom. Memories.

For me, Brownings, Weatherby V, Fierce and Coopers are on the list. Finding a nice old Model 70 or REM 700 would also work.

Thanks. I’ve hit refresh on my amortization spreadsheet more times then I can count but we’re almost there.

Oh absolutely. Many memories in the field and at the range with them. Each time he'd bring one home he thought he was being so sneaky, until mom asked him when she was going to see what he bought. He turned a bit red when she said, you leave with a rifle case like it's nothing, you come home and you carry it like it's a dozen eggs and with your shoulder you don't hold it as high. One of the few times he was speechless 🤣🤣🤣.

The funny thing I have learned about all the blather when it comes to rifles is that when you find one that shoots great…you won’t need another for years.

Plenty of them out there. You will find one and be happy.
Good point! I don’t keep inaccurate rifles no matter how pretty. Sold a Ruger tang that was gorgeous because it shot groups like a shotgun pattern

I married my wife six years ago and her wedding present to me was a SIGNIFICANT student loan balance - think med school but without a doctor’s salary. I love her, so we’ve busted our butts since then to pay them off and one of the ways I’ve kept from feeling resentful is the idea of buying a heirloom quality gun at the end of it.

We’re about three to five months out from the final payment, depending on bonuses, so it’s time to start researching.

I live in SW Michigan and I use a straight wall rifle for the majority of my hunting but with these loans gone I can start thinking about trips up north or out of state. Besides my 450 Bushmaster and AR I don’t own a center fire rifle.

I’m pretty much set on a .280 AI (I reload) and I’d like a wood stocked rifle. Eventually I’d like to be able to give this to my daughter and tell her the story behind it - but I want it to be well used at that point.

Any ideas on what direction to look over the next few months?
Ballpark budget +/-1k?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back