Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What kinda calls

Foggy Mountain

I see lots of western guys here. I’ve never hunted turkey out west. I believe a longbox might be a standard call. It always is anymore anyway but for 30 plus years I’d used mainly a mouth call. Since 2000s I’ve used some pots, last 10-15 scratchers are a perhaps most commonly used call.
Anyone could chime in but if you’re from out west, open air type hunts, I’m curious if guys would elaborate

I agree it’s like fishing but it’s just a conversation starter and I was curious what western guys do.

Western turkeys are not nearly as hard to kill as easterns or birds who are subjected to lots hunt pressure. The problem is finding them sometimes as they can cover huge pieces of land often with topography complicating things. Add to that a likely breeze and you need to be able to be loud and mobile, guessing 90% of my calling is a diaphragm but box call is solid suggestion. Locator call i will always take the loudest raspyest crow call i can find and try to break that thing by over use.

I agree it’s like fishing but it’s just a conversation starter and I was curious what western guys do.
Yeah exactly. For context, I used pretty much everything you can buy for locators and never heard a gobble. Then a chainsaw starts ripping across the gulch and the bird just won’t shut up. First time I laughed out loud in a setup.

I’d heard that. A buddy on mine went out and said he’d have 1-200 birds roosted in same few trees when ge found em but the roosts weren’t everywhere. He also said it’d be funner if the didn’t run in so quick. I’ve heard that from lots guys that they come in easy. Kinda one reason I haven’t gone after em but they do look awesome. Prob no big deal to guys live w em. Guess it’s sorta like guys oohing and aaahing over wood ducks that are everywhere here

Yeah exactly. For context, I used pretty much everything you can buy for locators and never heard a gobble. Then a chainsaw starts ripping across the gulch and the bird just won’t shut up. First time I laughed out loud in a setup.
Best locator around here is thunder. An owl roll commonly gets em or mid day cutting. That long box is good for cutting or yelping

Don’t over think it. I’ve gone out with no calls many times and called in very wild public land birds with just my voice to see if I could do it, kind of prefer that now. Simply locating birds and their roost is key

Don’t over think it. I’ve gone out with no calls many times and called in very wild public land birds with just my voice to see if I could do it, kind of prefer that now. Simply locating birds and their roost is key
It was a pre season fun type conversation starter. Believe me bud, by the 2000s I’d mentored over 50 birds for kids, vets, old folks and women. I don’t overthink anything. I’ve also called birds in w no call using a hat or wing fly down or scratching leaves but this isn’t technique thread per se unless guys want that. In that case it’s ok by me. I actually don’t know most of you and aren’t sure if anyone would benefit from that or not. If so let’s do it? . Maybe we could start a thread to help others?
If so a woods, vs open ground or difference sub species advice thread might be sorta neat. If anyone is interested start one.

Regarding calling by mouth, 2x I’ve kee keed birds in by mouth whistle. Know lots of guys straight call w no call. Not a common practice for me.
So I was wearing a red wool rich jacket, another time a red, black flannel. Both times wearing blue jeans. Guys swear you need full camo. You don’t. Can’t hurt mind you but you don’t need perfection.
Like I said it was curiosity for curiosity sake.

I've used a diaphragm, box calls and slate just depending on what I picked up or how windy it was.

I primarily use mouth calls but I always have a friction call. Some days you need that high pitch due to wind and some days they just plain want the friction call over a mouth call. Owl and crow for locators...but coyote, peacock and all kinds of others work. Other than that standard vocals are all you need

Western birds are prob a little easier to call in and they will for sure come from a much farther distance than Easterns. Theres no need to get up a western birds butt to set up. Ive had them come from literally a mile away. BUT the closer you are the less chance of them finding a hen on the way to you

I've hunted the bird in ID, WA & OR since 1983. My 3 go to's are a Roberts Bros glass over slate pot call, a 1983 Quaker Boy grand old master box and 2 mouth calls, one raspy (Heart of Dixie call) and 1 straight triple (Quaker boy true triple). 9 out of 10 times these will work, if not I go to the rest of my arsenal in my vest!

My go to in western Montana is a diaphragm call first (I usually carry a few different ones to be able to switch it up if needed). I also will usually carry a slate call and a glass call, with 2-3 different strikers. I hunt with a pack instead of a vest, so those calls fit nicely in my pants pockets (one reason I like my first lite corrugated with the cargo pockets.) There are times I think a box call would be great, I just don’t have a way to carry one that doesn’t annoy me yet. Haven’t had any luck with a crow to locate, but owl hooting with my mouth has been fairly successful.

My go to in western Montana is a diaphragm call first (I usually carry a few different ones to be able to switch it up if needed). I also will usually carry a slate call and a glass call, with 2-3 different strikers. I hunt with a pack instead of a vest, so those calls fit nicely in my pants pockets (one reason I like my first lite corrugated with the cargo pockets.) There are times I think a box call would be great, I just don’t have a way to carry one that doesn’t annoy me yet. Haven’t had any luck with a crow to locate, but owl hooting with my mouth has been fairly successful.
Most vests have short box call pouches but a pack would be easy. I’m personally never carrying a short box. Longbox is every way better. I carry mine in the cargo/bird pouch in my vest using a leather holster made by Yoder. Perfect size and keeps box quiet. Sometimes I’ll strike far off birds with it and it’s my main roost call using fly ups. That point it’s hand carried but put back in the pouch each time used. I’ve also just carried it in a big jacket pocket in the pouch.

Pic of the holster, you can see how it securely and quietly holds call. Have it with me all the time in different states, conditions. I’ve got lots longboxes so they vary but they all fit snugly/securely/quietly and the holster is decently thick leather and has not worn. It’s also got a belt loop if that was your desire. His short box holster I’m not as crazy about. Short boxes vary too much in size and they aren’t as secure to accommodate all boxes

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think something I really use a lot is locator calls. These calls don’t really make a turkey sound but others to get the bird to shock gobble. Such as an owl or crow call. It sounds crazy but the best locator call to make these sounds is a goose call. I personally use one from power calls.
Also, i would suggest a box call as well. I use a custom call maker for mine. It is very versatile can be loud and soft. Also, I like to use it along with my mouth call to give the sound of two hens at once. Hope this helps.
A goose is a good locator and I agree sometimes one of the best, I’ve used one since the 80s. It’s one many don’t talk about but shock gobbles seem to vary. When we had lots of birds around here almost any shock gobble got someone to answer. Many times they work, sometimes they dont and it varies around here. The best locator consistently locally is thunder than hen cutting but that’s the best to get em to gobble. I’d prefer not to use cutts til I’m set up cause if they positively respond they might catch you unprepared. I also believe it’s also volume having something to do with it, sometimes pitch, think goose or coyote, I don’t use coyote but shoot one and they start yiping, birds sound off, than very often rolls at the end of an owl call and that might be my best morning locator. The roll gets em.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back