PEAX Equipment

what knife???

I bought a Buck Vanguard years ago. It is my go to knife. Cabelas has their alaskan guide version which a friend of mine has now who liked mine so much. He loves his too. Holds a super edge and has a great feel. 1 knife can do 1 elk with 1 sharpening! enuf said.
+1 had mine for years, a great knife.
Never heard of a Havalon, but they sound interesting.
Cheers
Richard

I have used the Outdoor Edge Kodi-Pak for many years. Best thing IMO to have when you find yourself with a dead elk a few miles from the road. They also have free lifetime sharpening (you pay shipping) and will replace any knife if it breaks. I broke my small caping knife prying some ivories from an elk head. I looked on the Outdoor Edge web site and saw that they wanted a receipt for returns...I called and told them I had bought the knives 10 years ago and didn't have a receipt. They told me no worries if it has their name on it and it's broken they will replace it receipt or not!!

i sure hope all of you carry a sharpner so you can sharpen your blade when it goes dull,and believe me,it will,i have knives that cost me over 100.00 dollars,and the one i like the best is my 110 buck knife,and my 3.00 sharpening tool.

i sure hope all of you carry a sharpner so you can sharpen your blade when it goes dull,and believe me,it will,i have knives that cost me over 100.00 dollars,and the one i like the best is my 110 buck knife,and my 3.00 sharpening tool.
Try one with S30V steel and you'll be leaving that sharpening tool at home. It holds an edge like nothing else I've used.

I have buckets of knives and when boning out an elk on the mountain side I carried half a dozen with all the sharpening stones, rods etc... Then I found havalon and have made the switch. Size, weight, being able to quickly change out a blade that is normally sharper than any knife I had anyway. Give them a try.

Arno Bernard out of South Africa. Awesome knives. Spent years looking for the one knife I thought could do everything and I think this is it. Don't plan to ever buy another hunting knife. Throw in a 5$ sharpener and good to go.

I switched to Havalon as well. A little learning curve to keep from side loading and snapping a blade but that is one sharp knife and blades are dirt cheap IMO. Plus the size and weight is awsome for back pack hunting

I have two that I really like. For non packing type hunting I will have my Cold Steel close by. That Carbon V steel can keep an edge a long time. The knife I have on my hip most of the time is an old Gerber locking knife set. It has the saw blade and a couple of other blades, one if which I lost. They dont make it anymore so I cant replace the lost blade. I really dont notice the weight on my hip and it is always there in case I need to get at it quickly. If I was packing in I would probably go with one of those disposable break away or disposable blade types but would still have my gerber on my hip.

I switched to Havalon as well. A little learning curve to keep from side loading and snapping a blade but that is one sharp knife and blades are dirt cheap IMO. Plus the size and weight is awsome for back pack hunting

Ditto! Havalon is fantastic! Only factor I have to edumacate myself on is not cutting myself!

I have a pill bottle I keep the extra blades in which are in a wrapping. I put the old blades in that pill bottle but not in the wrapping with the new blades and then discard back at home.

Another vote for the Havalon. I have only used mine one season but I see no reason to use any thing else. I just put my used blades back in the wrap and into the bottom of my pack. Just don't forget about it so you can dispose of later.

Still have this knife, I finally had to sharpen it after and deer pack out.
Gutted 7 deer
One pronghorn
Quatered and deboned 3 of the 7 deer for pack out
Butchered one deer a fee years ago with it for fun
Keep in mind, very very carefull with cutting hair and running accoss bone.
Took an edge this year very quickly. Still love the knife.
Also I'm NOT the most picky person, I just use what works for me.

Back