PEAX Equipment

what knife???

nr8l

Ok I'm about to throw all my knives in the trash can. What do you guys use? Does it hold an edge for more than 5 minutes? Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'd give you my recommendations, but noharleyyet would make fun of me.

I'd give you my recommendations, but noharleyyet would make fun of me.

Since Harley gives Oak grief about his knife, I will answer the question. The same answer Oak would give.

It is called a Havalon Piranta. They are actually disposable scalpel blades. They can do an entire elk or bear, with one blade. And, if you break a blade, they cost hardly anything, so no sweat.

If you call and order one, tell them you heard about them on the On Your Own Adventures site. ;)

Here is the link - http://www.havalon.com/?gclid=CKSW_evux50CFRcjawodPEDdqw

Not doubting you guys but I have a hard time believing a disposable blade is made from steel that holds an edge like a good high carbon steel

I own a Havalon knife and also several more traditional hunting knives.

Right now I am currently carrying both on all my trips. The havalon is on its trial run and so far I have seen it used, or used it on 5 animals. Here is my opinion:

What I like about the Havalon:

1) Its light
2) Price (under $50)
3) Replaceable Blades
4) Skinning out the heads of animals

What I don't like about it:

1) Easy to break the blades
2) Small enough to lose ( get the orange one!)
3) The "feel" of it. Doesn't feel right to me
4) Remembering in the chaos of packing to throw in extra blades
5) Actual skinning of the animal epically where there is a lot of fat

I have a combo Knife/Saw (Kershaw) that I like the best. You can change out the blades to which ever one you need at the moment. I like having the saw attachment not just for animals but for tree limbs etc. Also the knife is stout enough for other purposes. You never know when you will need a "beefer" knife.

I don't see the Havalon ever replacing my hunting knife(s), I see it more as a supplement to my gutting arsenal.

-Ernesto

I really like the Buck "Buck Zipper". Really holds a good edge for multiple animals, has a real good gut hook to unzip the hide of deer and Elk. I have 2 of them and am fixing to purchase another one......because my son has misplaced the other 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think you can pick up these knives for around $60 now. I used to buy them and hand them out to my guides in the past. Do this at the start of a hunt, you get better places to hunt. John

currently my favorite knife I've found is a medium sized Gerber w/rubber type handle. It's worked great on a wide variety of game animals and waterfowl...and holds a great edge.

I really like my Cabelas Buck 110 made with SC30V steel. They offer different models with the same steel. SC30V holds an edge a long time...

Another Havalon user user here........great knife for caping out an animal.....especially around the tear ducts and splitting the gums. VERY lightweight, as are the replacement blades. Perfect for backpacking.

I also use a Tigersharp Knives. Same concept, but much thicker blades that are reinforced. Replacement blades lock in and take a while to go dull.

www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/80300101/tigersharp-folding-knife

I ONLY pack a "Havalon" !!! Of the 3 bulls we killed this weekend I Deboned the first one 100% by myself and went through only 3 blades. I loved changin the blades and having a fresh edge !!

The 2nd bull I just "gutless method" quartered out and went through only 2 blades. I could have done it with one but poart way through I decided I wanted a new edge.

The Havalon knives come with a carrying case that you can store the blades in as well.

I bought the orange one's so I sdon't loose it. No matter what knife I used to buy I'd alway set it down and loose one.

The first time I used it a few years ago I went through about 15 blades on a deer. I was using it to pry bone, etc. I've since learned to use gravity to poull the meat and I never got tiered on either of the 3 elk we just killed. Knife is ALWAYS sharp and if not, Flick the blade off and put on another and it's good to go.

John, Have you used the gut hook on an elk. I tried one this year down the back of my bulls neck, not even close.

what knife

Take a look at http://www.outdooredge.com/product This knife is called the swing blade. This is not the answer to everything but as far as gutting and boning it just flat out works - not expensive - keeps an edge - sharpens up well - and the company has a great warranty. Broke the tip off my first one using the blade as a pry to remove the ivory out of a bull - my fault completly. I called them and a few days later a new one showed up and they told me to keep the broken one and said thanks for using their knives.

nr8l, I have used gerber with the rubber handle and have good luck with them, they hold a good edge and doesn't take much to sharpen after it starts dulling. I got an alaskan knife for a gift haven't got to use it yet! will let you know.

as mentioned nothing better for caping and affordable, you can also buy veterinarian scalpels cheap too!

Kershaw Gentlemen's Folder. Heck of a knife.

Chuck_3.jpg

I'm not by any means and expert but I am very particular about my blades. My father-in-law is a leather crafter and I have learned a lot about good blades from him and particularly about sharpening. I now have the same sharpening tools/machine that he and most custom leather workers use and you can't come close to what these can do with stones of any kind.

Several people have mentioned the Havalon and I'd have to agree with them that it is a convenient system and actually does an admirable job. It's very easy in the field to switch a blade out and continue your work. If your knife goes dull you have a long job ahead. My taxedermist uses these almost exlusively now because of the convenience and not having to continually sharpen a blade. He does however also use the same sharpening machine that my father-in-law and I use.

As for blades I have a custom made knife from Canal Street Cutlery out of up state NY which has been fantastic so far. With a good edge on it I can field dress and butcher four deer sized animals or two elk before I need to sharpen it. For more available steel I prefer Knives of Alaska knives. They have a great selection, multiple steels available and they are nearly indestructable. They come with the rubber handles if that's what you like of for more money you can get fancy woods and bones. I personally have stayed away from Gerber and Buck for a long time now. Gebers steel has been to soft in the past. Easy to sharpen but doesn't hold an edge as long as I like. Bucks are the opposite. They seem to be overly hard and can be hell on stones. Can also be very difficult for the average person to put an edge on. If you can get the right edge on them though they do hold fairly well. These comments by no means indicate that they are bad knives or everyone will experience this.

Talk to some local taxedermists and game processors in your area and find out what they use and why? You're getting some great feedback here too. Good luck!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back