What type of hunting knife?

This as a fixed blade will be the next custom. I need to find someone who can do the blade thin enough.
No_07-My-First-Opinel-Folding-Knife-Pocket-Knife_800x.jpg

I love the simplicity, weight and sharpness of havalon and that's what I have carried for the last several years. At first, I broke blades but now can disassemble an elk with one blade easily.

That being said, I love a good knife. I have 4 Ruana knives with an original M stamp I got in 1981 for my 12th birthday. I beat the crap out of it before putting it away. I wonder if i can send it in to be refurbished. I've used the smaller ones a couple times. Love the feel of the 5AD but simply can't bring myself to use it.

20231214_192625.jpg

My now gone very creative and capable hunting buddy crafted the custom knife and sheath, with antler handle adorned with elk ivories.
The Ruana I had gifted to myself after many years yearning for one. It disappeared into a snowbank while dressing out an elk one year. 'Luckily found it the next summer and was able to clean it up and re-sharpen, so works great again and still looks pretty good.

RUANA & DINCAU CUSTOM.jpg

I have a bunch of knives and have used most of them at least a couple of times on animals. Currently in my kill kit are a cheap Schrade gut hook with an ugly rubber handle i bought the first year I hunted (2003) and a Mora Allround with a 6" blade. The Schrade sharpens easily to very sharp. The gut hook is too small to be useful most of the time. The other, and my favorite, is the Mora. I love this knife (as well as the other 5-6 Moras I have). CRAZY sharp, easily touched up with a fine diamond card, very comfortable rubber handle and ridiculously priced in my opinion (I paid all of $18). Mine is the 6" variant. The last time I needed to touch it up was following 2 elk and 2 deer back to back. If you have never used a Mora you owe it to yourself.....and the price of admission is cheap!!

I have run a tyto for years but a buddy of mine owns the local meat processor and game me a victorinox mid season this year when I asked him what he thought of the different fixed blade knives I had been trying to use on and off. I wanted to get one made but was trying different styles. This knife blew them all out of the water. I stole a sheath from another knife I owned and made it work. I also added a calf strap to have quick access when breaking down animals. Let’s just say I’m learning how to do leather work in order to make the ideal sheath and calf belt because I don’t ever see myself using another knife. Tyto will likely live out its days in my bino pack just in case.
6DBDA5AE-7E01-417F-B28E-1F8AF469A42F.jpeg0F69E627-0462-479F-BCDB-CCF2E806FD1C.jpeg

My hunting knives are all from Bark River, all have slight to moderate drop points - which I love. Blade length 3.25"-3.75". What I'm carrying depends on the animal being hunted and terrain. Steels are A2, CPM3V, and Elmax. Total weight ranges like 2.5 to 6 oz. I have wood and micarta handle scales. I like all of them, and can generally break down an entire animal without stopping to resharpen and not pushing through with an obviously dull knife.

I did my bull elk this year with the A2 3.75" loveless design, and it was still pretty sharp after everything. I don't think I can shave with it, but the A2 is so easy to whip back into shape.

A few years ago I used my featherweight knife in Elmax to break down an entire mule deer buck. It worked pretty well for such a small and light knife, and the Elmax steel was surprisingly durable throughout and pretty easily resharpened. I think personally, on a thin steel stock (0.093"), I can get this Elmax as sharp as any knife I've seen.

IMO, the 3V is probably the greatest workhorse steel that I have personally. If I know that I'm going to be hard on my knife, I reach for that one.

I haven't tried any of the newer super steels. My sharpening system is pretty old school - a mouse pad and various grits of wet/dry sandpaper. So that's not going to work with some of those with super high on the Rockwell scale.

I love the simplicity, weight and sharpness of havalon and that's what I have carried for the last several years. At first, I broke blades but now can disassemble an elk with one blade easily.

That being said, I love a good knife. I have 4 Ruana knives with an original M stamp I got in 1981 for my 12th birthday. I beat the crap out of it before putting it away. I wonder if i can send it in to be refurbished. I've used the smaller ones a couple times. Love the feel of the 5AD but simply can't bring myself to use it.

View attachment 306270
Ruana can and will refurbish it for you if you contact them and send it in. Mike & Mark Hangus are still working hard keeping Ruana alive and well. You need to use those other Ruana's. I can hear them crying out to be used! Great knives! I have the Steelhead and the 5AD. Each of my son's has one also.

Reactions: BRI
I carry a western fixed blade for over 40 years and never needed to sharpen in the middle of an animal also carry a case folder for small game.

My favorite knife is the Victorinox Forschner 5” boning knife. It’s what I used when I learned how to field dress and cut up meat and it’s just so good and a perfect all-around knife. I use that and a Havalon. I struggle with my Outdoor Edge; the blade is stiffer and tougher but never seems as sharp as a Havalon.

Benchmade Steep Mountain Hunter with orange handle and gut hook. (discontinued). S30V steel which holds and edge and sharpens well. I have a pile of Buck and Case fixed blades, but landed on this Benchmade.

steep mt hunter.jpg

Have a misplaced Cutco someplace that's usually in my pack. Until I locate the Cutco it'll be one of a number of Lucas Forge, NDGuy's customs, or an exchange blade Gerbers.

If I don't get a whitetail buck soon, it's moot.

@Dsnow9 and @WanderWoman

what are you either of you using as a preferred sharpener for those victorinox blades?
My husband is my knife sharpener, lol.

He uses an old fashioned stone and then we touch ours up with a magnetic sharpening steel in the field. He sawed the handle off a regular one and keeps it with his foldable saw. I steal it when I’m out and it’s so much better than using the small ones you would otherwise buy.

The flexible blade does a great job when boning or trimming meat. They’re pretty dang slick overall, and cost about $30.

My husband is my knife sharpener, lol.

He uses an old fashioned stone and then we touch ours up with a magnetic sharpening steel in the field. He sawed the handle off a regular one and keeps it with his foldable saw. I steal it when I’m out and it’s so much better than using the small ones you would otherwise buy.

The flexible blade does a great job when boning or trimming meat. They’re pretty dang slick overall, and cost about $30.
For sure, the amount of time I saved and meat as well by switching shocked me. I originally laughed when my buddy gave me the knife. I brought three others on my deer hunt but gave it a go. The clean down to bone cuts on the gutless method were amazing.

I’m so sold on the knife I learned how to do leather work to make an awesome sheath for the knife. Making them for friends to sway them into using it in the field as well

Attachments

• 06831BD6-742C-45DA-9E77-51E8FDEB40CC.jpeg
    06831BD6-742C-45DA-9E77-51E8FDEB40CC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
For sure, the amount of time I saved and meat as well by switching shocked me. I originally laughed when my buddy gave me the knife. I brought three others on my deer hunt but gave it a go. The clean down to bone cuts on the gutless method were amazing.

I’m so sold on the knife I learned how to do leather work to make an awesome sheath for the knife. Making them for friends to sway them into using it in the field as well
I’d be awfully tempted to purchase a sheath for mine…

I did the same a few years back bought them for friends for Xmas.

I used a Havalon for a few years, but throwing away blades just never felt completely justified to me, and I switched to a Benchmade Steep Country. It's a great knife. I still have a Havalon for backup with me, and occasionally use one for processing at home. I've also messed with a knife blade from Jantz that I put scales on, in D2, but prefer the S30V on my Benchmade.

I've been wanting to order some Victorinox knives for processing here at home. They seem like a great value.

Always wanted to try a Mora as well.

I used a Havalon for a few years, but throwing away blades just never felt completely justified to me, and I switched to a Benchmade Steep Country. It's a great knife. I still have a Havalon for backup with me, and occasionally use one for processing at home. I've also messed with a knife blade from Jantz that I put scales on, in D2, but prefer the S30V on my Benchmade.

I've been wanting to order some Victorinox knives for processing here at home. They seem like a great value.

Always wanted to try a Mora as well.
The mora has to be one of the best values there is. You can get those things scary sharp.

Maybe I’m the only one, but I always had terrible edge retention on the Victorinox boning knives, although I did really like the shape and size for cutting meat at home.

Benchmade Steep Mountain Hunter with orange handle and gut hook. (discontinued). S30V steel which holds and edge and sharpens well. I have a pile of Buck and Case fixed blades, but landed on this Benchmade.

View attachment 307022
I was gifted one of these in 2012 after I put a friend on his first buck. I’ve tried a lot of knives before and even after but it goes in my kill kit every year. I think I’ve settled on this and the Gerber big game vital.

I use the victornox when processing at home along with a cheap old Rapala fillet knife.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back