Vets only

I asked this question to my buddies on the Parris Island Alumni group, so I thought I'd toss it out to our HT Vets as well.

If your in a SHTF situation, would you prefer to have a A-10 Warthog, or a M1 Abrams show up?
LOL it all depends. First of all, I went to MCRD, San Diego and spend all my stateside duty on the west coast so yall Island Marines call us Hollywood Marines.

Second, it depends on the situation. If it's a reinforced bunker or vehicles, I want the M1-Abrams to show up. If it's a battalion or platoon size threat, I like what the A-10 can do. The A-10 can take out a lot of armored vehicles though. Depends on the threat. I participated in hundreds of war games over the years and got presented with similar thoughts at the Brigade level. It all depends on the type of threat.

A10s have saved a few Canadian soldiers and they get my vote. A MBT is cool and all but it can't do much about what it can't see nor what it can't maneuver through. MBTs are used as show of force to a certain extent, but having air assets fly over the battle field is a deterrent on its own.

I loved watching A10s, Apaches, etc, doing gun runs over the Arghandab river at night.

I'm pretty sure all the vets I've gotten to know through the years in our disabled veteran hunting program would give the thumbs up (gladly!) to the A-10. That includes Air Force, Army, Marine, and Navy personnel. Have one that was an A-10 crew chief on top of that.

FYI, all A-10 training is done through Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson. I grew up there and now love seeing them above town when I visit my grandkids.

Check out this video clip ...

Last edited:
Second, it depends on the situation. If it's a reinforced bunker or vehicles, I want the M1-Abrams to show up. If it's a battalion or platoon size threat, I like what the A-10 can do. The A-10 can take out a lot of armored vehicles though. Depends on the threat. I participated in hundreds of war games over the years and got presented with similar thoughts at the Brigade level. It all depends on the type of threat.

An A10 can seek, close-in with, and destroy any enemy that a MBT can, and then some, its armament can be changed and adapted to the tactical situation. A single A10 can do more damage than a tank squadron given the right circumstances. MBT still have a huge important role on the battlefield though.

23rd TFW Flying Tigers England AFB in Alexandria LA from 88 to 92 when it closed. I retired at Dyess in 2014. Still working on base.
I used to be an instructor on the electrical systems of the B-1s! They used to send dyess guys up to Ellsworth to attend my course. That's some serious air power!

I think I remember you saying you had family in the Abilene area. Look me up if you are ever come out.
That's right! My Grandpa snowbirds in Alpine, Texas. I've wanted to see Dyess in person but never have.

An A10 can seek, close-in with, and destroy any enemy that a MBT can, and then some, its armament can be changed and adapted to the tactical situation. A single A10 can do more damage than a tank squadron given the right circumstances. MBT still have a huge important role on the battlefield though.
Not arguing with you there. The A10 is powerful for sure. It's overkill in some situations and expensive to shoot all that ordnance and ammo and resupply in combat can be an issue. What I am saying is there are battlefield situations that make both the appropriate use of lethal force over the other. The A10 can wipe out an entire brigade of enemy soldiers and vehicles in just a few runs. No question there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back