Asking for advise

Akcabin

Hello folks. I built our cabin so our kids will always have a place to go hunt in Alaska. Actually not just hunting, just getting out into a wild place, bush ak. This last fall I invited Jordan Jonnas from the TV show alone to come up hunting. Him and his buddy had a good time and Jordan had a shot at a mid fifties bull moose. Unfortunately his scope got knocked off in and he did not connect. But they did have a good opportunity for harvesting a bull moose, wolves and bears. Both colors.
While they were there is asked them this question as they have had the opportunity to hunt and visit many different places. My question was if they have ever seen a remote cabin that folks could bring a family to. And if they believed that this little cabin could be a good fit for something like this. They stated that they have not. There are places to go hunting but they are not particularly family oriented.
My question is this. Would you consider renting out a remote cabin like this for your family ? Or for just going out moose hunting with a couple buddies ? It's 20 acres we own in the middle of a kazillion acres of public lands.
I am kinda just trying to get an idea about how this would work. We have not considered this very long and have never been to any other camps. So no experience in this.
Cabin is set up for folks that have problems getting around as my beautiful wife has foot issues and can't walk much. As we have several wheelers available for transportation. Even has an indoor toilet and have potable water right from the kitchen faucet. Can even take a shower if you want to.
We're just throwing the idea around and I thought I'd ask folks that actually have experience renting or leasing cabins for hunting and for just getting out. It is remote and accessible by bush plane only. And has never even been hunted except Jordan and his buddy. So kinda unique in that the wildlife around there have not had contact with humans.
For us it's been fantastic to call in a trophy bull moose and be with our son when he harvested it. Or just listening to the wild around us. One night we listened to a pack of wolves taking down a moose. A hundred yards out from the front porch. Or a pair of lynx fighting. Having morning coffee with fresh perked coffee n target practice on the front porch. Or the piece n quite of the wilderness.
I would like to say thanks for any advice you all may have as we have not experience in anything like this.
A couple of cabin pictures 09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpegB85228D3-6989-4DA2-87B3-F5F16B44039F.jpeg77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpegF04DAB49-5029-4E58-88D0-6E4EAAB7C758.jpeg20210317_114745.jpg20220129_084537.jpg

Attachments

• 20210411_111329.jpg
    20210411_111329.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
As an owner of a somewhat remote cabin family get-away myself, I am very particular about even how relatives treat the property and the cabin. It would never occur to me to open it up for strangers to use. Once you begin exploiting your personal, self-built outback cabin space for money, then an entirely different dynamic evolves. I absolutely would not do it.
But that's just me. If you need the money, then that's a factor.WINTER CABIN.jpg

Not really a money issue. I realize how much I enjoy it and there is plenty of land. I'm not thinking large groups. But more a family thing. This place is still very wild and there is just not places like this that folks can use and share with family. I may build a small cabin near that I could stay in and kinda help out where needed. But not much to hurt. It is a log cabin and the undergrowth comes back every year to looking like it's never been touched. And most of it has never been touched or visited by a human

My experience is that you will find people doing things that you would have never dreamed to be even a remote possibility. You would really have to have it set up to be 100% idiot proof and even then you might find people clogging the toilet with random things, being slobs and leaving dirty dishes, food, etc., forgetting to shut the door when they leave, etc., etc.

The ones I've seen work have a very idiot proof type checklist of things to do when you arrive and what to do when you leave but even then they need someone to come by and check to make sure that it actually got done. I'm not sure how remote your cabin is, but you would for sure need to check it after each use. I would require a steep deposit.

I like your altruistic thinking, just afraid that it might not work out as good as you are hoping. Some people might be perfect guests, others might not and it is very hard to know in advance. Some of the people that seem very nice and intelligent can be the biggest slobs and completely ignorant when it comes to mechanical type things.

However, Akcabin, if living in Alaska I would enjoy spending time with you at your cabin, hunting moose and grouse and sitting around the campfire sharing a meal and swapping lies!

Thanks straight arrow. Kinda what you was thinking. Is for me to be there as a host per say. While Jordan was there, I made fresh chaga bread daily. They both brought home a few pounds of chaga they foraged along with seven different types of mushrooms. And we have a pond full of pike.
I had a great time visiting and sharing stories around the campfire. And everyone pitched in. And I see where folks have to pay 25 grand to hunt moose from a tent camp. I certainly want see this happening with most families. I have no idea how much something like this is worth to folks. And this is also why I'm m asking. Nothing wrong as I've invested over 60 grand just getting to this stage.
If anyone would care to visit personally, just set a pm request

Not really a money issue. I realize how much I enjoy it and there is plenty of land. I'm not thinking large groups. But more a family thing. This place is still very wild and there is just not places like this that folks can use and share with family. I may build a small cabin near that I could stay in and kinda help out where needed. But not much to hurt. It is a log cabin and the undergrowth comes back every year to looking like it's never been touched. And most of it has never been touched or visited by a human
You have an absolutely gorgeous place, which I would never consider renting out. We have a lot of experience renting - STRs, MTRs, standard LTRs, etc. And one thing I can tell you for certain is that nobody will take care of your place. Some renters seem like they'll be the perfect occupant, only to turn out to be low life sorts who trash things. Others are ok but even so they'll never take care of your place the way it should be taken care of. If I had a place like that, what I would consider doing is building another cabin for folks to occupy while staying on site to manage things. Even then you'll have your work cut out for you though. Another thing, most renters are cry babies entitled types who are looking for any reason to complain for a freebie. This on top of the fact they are already getting a great deal with a tidy, clean, and secure place for a group stay. The ONLY type of rental we do anymore, after years of renters, is corporate style setups. For good reason as dealing with verified professional types is the only way to avoid all the foregoing nonsense. PM me if you want to more info.

I would give anything to come and visit, hang out, fish, hunt, work, whatever for a while. Can't do it. I think it's a nice thought, but maybe not many folks willing to fly in and out and be "stuck" there for the duration without it being more of a lodge type setting with all the perks that go with it. I personally would just keep it private and enjoy everything you have. Sharing with friends and family is fine, renting is a whole different story.

Thanks for the generous offer and I hope you can meet up with a few Hunttalkers!

As much as many folks here would enjoy such an opportunity it's just to much of a risk for you and your family. You have worked hard to make your cabin special. It would only take one group to turn it all upside down and ruin all you have worked for. If you do go ahead and try it just be careful and cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Renting or leasing your cabin, turns it into a business.
Government will cost you and, increase your cost of doing business, a lot.
Do you hope to profit, or just break even?
Seems like private invitations could be a thing.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back