Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Twist rate?

mtmuley

I have a Ruger M77 tang safety in .243. I'm pretty sure the twist is 1:9. Anybody know for sure? Thanks, mtmuley

Take a swivel cleaning rod and using a snug fitting patch and jag. Run the rod into barrel making sure cleaning rod is rotating evenly. Put a mark on the top of cleaning rod and push/pull rod slowly and evenly until initial dot has been rotated 360 degrees from it's initial location. Put other dot and then measure the distance between the dots. That's how many inches your rifling is for one revolution of your twist

Thanks guys. I know how to measure it myself. Just posted as I am between the loading bench, TV for football and the puter. I have a box of 105 grain A-maxs I found at a garage sale, and may run them through my little 22 inch barreled Ruger. Box says 1:9, we'll see. mtmuley

Should be a 1:9 just like the newer ones are. By now you probably did your check, so please let us know what it was. I have one in 25-06 and absolutely love it.

It's a 1:9. I have a 77 tang safety in .270 also. I'm waiting on the new Accubonds for it. mtmuley

I have one too and it's one of my best shooters. Shoots 85-100 gr bullets really well. The lighter stuff, not so much.

The best target I've ever shot was with my Sako .243 1:10 twist with Hornady 100 grain BTSPs and 33 grains of IMR 4064. Here's the target and rifle and that's 9 shots. The top one was the fouling shot and the next 8 can be covered with a dime.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • .243 Sako 002.JPG
    .243 Sako 002.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,113
I shot my first Texas deer down on the Bennett Ranch in Frio County, a 10 pointer, in 1974 with that rifle when it was my Dad's. I just got it last year after he died and it was the only gun he hadn't given me because it was his pet and he always told me it was the most accurate rifle he ever had in his hands. I guess that would be hard to argue with and he never used anything but factory ammo. I was on a hunt that turned out to be my Dad's last one and shot a big hog and longbeard with it in 2010 with him in the blind next to me. This year I worked up a handload for it and took an 80" antelope in Wyoming and dedicated the hunt to Dad. I also have a Finnbear in 30-06 that he gave me several years ago. Here it is.

Attachments

• sako 30-06 002.JPG
    sako 30-06 002.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:
Back