Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

77gr. LRX for .223 load data needed

Redmt

I have some 77.gr Barnes LRX I was hoping to use I my 22-250 but the twist rate is too slow. I'm thinking I might try them in a .223 Ruger Ranch bolt action but can't find any load info. I know the LRX is pretty long and it may be an issue with case capacity. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have some 77.gr Barnes LRX I was hoping to use I my 22-250 but the twist rate is too slow. I'm thinking I might try them in a .223 Ruger Ranch bolt action but can't find any load info. I know the LRX is pretty long and it may be an issue with case capacity. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Barnes recommends a 1 in 7 for that bullet. I'd check your ballistics. 223 will probably only get them around 2800 fps, which doesn't help you much in terms of reliable expansion at distance. If you want to shoot copper, hammer might have some better options for the parameters youre working with.

Barnes recommends a 1 in 7 for that bullet. I'd check your ballistics. 223 will probably only get them around 2800 fps, which doesn't help you much in terms of reliable expansion at distance. If you want to shoot copper, hammer might have some better options for the parameters youre working with.
Understood but I'm looking to make use of what I have before putting them up for sale.

You'll likely not get them to shoot with the Ruger Ranch having a 1:8. It's worth a shot (pun intended). I'd probably use the starting load information for the 85gr Match burner or maybe the Berger 83gr and work up. Velocity will probably end up around 2500-2600. CFE223 seems to shine in these situations though Varget may produce a slightly slower velocity however more consistent.

I shoot the 77gr RDF and can get it to around 2825fps over SW Precision (Varget copycat) but these LRX are pretty long and soak up some serious case capacity.

EDIT: Get yourself a 22 Creedmoor and you'd have a hell of a deer and antelope cartridge.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back