243 Twist Rate

deer_shooter

I'm getting my wife's 243 rebarreled (staying with 243) and trying to decide on the best twist. She will use this for deer and antelope so I plan on loading bullets in the 95 - 105 grain range. I'm thinking 1-8 should do it. Any thoughts?

I lean 8”, but depending on the elevation and temps you’re hunting at, you might give up a little BC with a 108 elite hunter, or 115VLD.

Any chance you’ll shoot varmint bullets? I’ve blown up Sierra Varmint bullets, and Berger hunting bullets in an 8” twist 6mm Remington. When going with a tight twist you have to decide if you’re willing to give up on slightly lighter bullets and high velocity. Because I’d rather either go with a 6mm RemAI and 115’s or give up the 108’s and 115’s and gain the velocity, I’d would go with an 8.5” if I had it to again. If I really wanted a 6mm mule deer gun, I might go 7.5” and shoot 115’s.

Last edited:
I lean 8”, but depending on the elevation and temps you’re hunting at, you might give up a little BC with a 108 elite hunter, or 115VLD.

Any chance you’ll shoot varmint bullets? I’ve blown up Sierra Varmint bullets, and Berger hunting bullets in an 8” twist 6mm Remington. When going with a tight twist you have to decide if you’re willing to give up on slightly lighter bullets and high velocity. Because I’d rather either go with a 6mm RemAI and 115’s or give up the 108’s and 115’s and gain the velocity, I’d would go with an 8.5” if I had it to again. If I really wanted a 6mm mule deer gun, I might go 7.5” and shoot 115’s.

What bergers had jacket failures in a 8 twist?

Have a 7 twist 6 creed coming soon and i bought some berger factory ammo with 95 grain classic hunters that were on sale for it. Figured they might be extra splashy based on how fast they are spinning but wasn't expecting any jacket failures.

I would think 8 twist would be great. I am not sure on the twist rates, but I load for 4 243’s. All of them shoot the following loads well. The RL19 load is my favorite. All of them are used with standard primers.

42G RL19
100G Hornady Interlock

47G H1000
100G Hornady Interlock

41G IMR 4350
100G partition

Pictured below is the RL19 load after we switched scopes on the rifle. Shot one was high, 2 was low, the next 6 are by the nickel @100.

Attachments

• 8F0AE568-DD4A-4AEB-AAB9-A21291E0AA8D.jpeg
    8F0AE568-DD4A-4AEB-AAB9-A21291E0AA8D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Have a 7 twist 6 creed coming soon and i bought some berger factory ammo with 95 grain classic hunters that were on sale for it. Figured they might be extra splashy based on how fast they are spinning but wasn't expecting any jacket failures.
I don’t remember if it was 95’s or 105’s honestly. I’d have to look at my notes. It’s a 29.5” barrel though, so that probably contributes a little. It’s also a Brux, which come .001” tighter than a standard 6mm bore.

Still 7” on a 6 Creed might not shoot a 95gr classic hunter. That’s gonna be over 300k rpm.

I had really good luck with a 1:8 brux .243 win shooting 105 hybrids and 105 amax. I currently have a 1:7.5 bartlein chambered in the same and it seems to be doing fairly well so far with 112 match burners.

I don't have alot of interest in shooting bullets under 100gr though.

I don’t remember if it was 95’s or 105’s honestly. I’d have to look at my notes. It’s a 29.5” barrel though, so that probably contributes a little. It’s also a Brux, which come .001” tighter than a standard 6mm bore.

Still 7” on a 6 Creed might not shoot a 95gr classic hunter. That’s gonna be over 300k rpm.

It’s only an 18” tube and 0.237” bore. I know the .236 bores can be a bit harder on jackets. I just planned to break in the barrel with the 100 I bought and keep the lapua brass. Hopefully short length and fresh bore is more gentle on em.

It’s only an 18” tube and 0.237” bore. I know the .236 bores can be a bit harder on jackets. I just planned to break in the barrel with the 100 I bought and keep the lapua brass. Hopefully short length and fresh bore is more gentle on em.
I would certainly guess that the short tube would help substantially. The .236” wasn’t helping me. It was freshly rechambered from a 6BR with about 900 rounds, so I don’t know if that’s a fresh bore or not. The throat should have been fresh since it got cut .5” and then chambered for a case .733” longer.

Don't know what factory twist I have but it shoots 95 grain VLD's and 80 grain Hammers really well. I have some 70 grain Hammers that ought to zing along nicely. mtmuley

Don't know what factory twist I have but it shoots 95 grain VLD's and 80 grain Hammers really well. I have some 70 grain Hammers that ought to zing along nicely. mtmuley
Factory Rem 700 I assume😁 probably a 9.25 twist which shoots 95gr VLD awesome.

Actually Ruger tang safety. I really like them. Got the first one by accident. Great rifles. mtmuley
Almost certain it’s a 10 twist then. Certainly a great rifle and a factory trigger that can be tuned up very nice.

The gun that shot the group I posted above was a Remington 700 youth that my son out grew 2 years ago. This winter he got a Remington adult length stock, a rifle basic trigger, and a 3-9 leupold with target knobs for the rifle. Poor man’s model 7.

I couldn’t find any notes on failures, but I would assume it was 105’s. The data I did find had me shooting 115’s @3175fps. So 286k RPM and they were fine.

I think you’ll be fine with an 18” barrel , but I’m definitely curious to know. You’ll hit 300k at 3125fps. Not sure if that matters in an 18” barrel.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back