Which factory 280AI rifle?

I have been looking at the factory 280AI rifle.
One's i have been looking at.
Xbolt Speed 280AI 1@8 twist
Savage ultralight 280AI 1@9
Weatherby mark hunter 5 1@9
Only one comes with a muzzle brake is the Xbolt. Most places i can't shoot 400 yds. Which one do you think would be the best choice? I will carry it in the truck alot. Because of the hog population we have. Range of bullets i will try 120 to 175 gr. I hunt out of a climbing stand alot. Midway has several different blemish .284 bullets. I seen some 150 gr jacketed soft points 13.99 for 100. Planning on buying some to break the barrel in with. I do want to work a load up for coyotes. 120 gr v max or nosler 120 gr bt. I didnt know for sure. If the 1@8 would shoot the 120 gr very good. Going to put a Timney trigger on the new gun to.

Savage is the ugliest of them. But i own 2 of them - both of them shoot close with my Sako and have made some "christensen" fans into savage fans at the range. Weatherbys/brownings are cool - harder to deal with as far as rings/bases/stocks. Love the uniqueness of Roys action. The fit and finish of the browning bolt guns ive seen is gorgeous. All of them will probably shoot better than you, i, or most.

Pick your favorite and keep the aftermarket pros/cons if youre the kind of guy that likes to change stuff.

After spending time behind my X-Bolt, I do prefer that 60 degree throw over a 90 degree throw. The faster twist but it is 100% unnecessary. You'll probably find the sweet spot is 130-160 and have no real need for the longer bullets mostly because you're seating them too deep in the case and you're not gaining much once you do that. A 150gr bullet is probably the right place to be. Of course, my bias is toward the 143Hammers

Those factory seconds 150gr spire points are pretty basic bullets and will kill well but if you're chasing BCs and the like those might disappoint. I'd probably look at the 154gr SSTs they have listed as seconds and have had luck with them in my 7mmMag. Of course shoving in a 140-160gr Accubond is a solid move.

I used a Kimber Mountain Ascent for quite a while. It was light of course, and had good accuracy. I would recommend them.

Reactions: MJE
After spending time behind my X-Bolt, I do prefer that 60 degree throw over a 90 degree throw. The faster twist but it is 100% unnecessary. You'll probably find the sweet spot is 130-160 and have no real need for the longer bullets mostly because you're seating them too deep in the case and you're not gaining much once you do that. A 150gr bullet is probably the right place to be. Of course, my bias is toward the 143Hammers

Those factory seconds 150gr spire points are pretty basic bullets and will kill well but if you're chasing BCs and the like those might disappoint. I'd probably look at the 154gr SSTs they have listed as seconds and have had luck with them in my 7mmMag. Of course shoving in a 140-160gr Accubond is a solid move.
I am only using them to break the rifle in. Then it will be to a berger 140 150 168. Hornady 154, 162 sst and 162 eld x. And nosler 140 and 160 AB.

Savage Ultralight is 1284.00 5.8 pds
Browning xbolt speed 1274.00 6 .10 pds
Mark 5 hunter 1299.00 6.1 pds
The mark 5 i was looking at. Its called mark 5 hunter king xk7 1@9 twist. Is what the guy had it listed. I had a kimber 84 hunter. Sold it didnt even shoot it.

The bolt sucks in them but I have yet to see one person complain about the accuracy of those savage ultralights

Reactions: DFS
I have owned a few savages over the yrs. Never owned a browning. Browning dont weigh alot more. With the little longer barrel. U wont get much more speed. But a little is a little. Can a person get the Xbolt? To group as good as the 110? Will the 1@8 shoot 120 gr v max very good

I have a Kimber Montana 84L in 280ai. I can give you a list of issues but I can give you an equal list of positives.

It’s the rifle the family grabs when dependability needs to happen. It shoots were you aim and kills animals quickly.

I look once in a while to find a reasonable replacement but I haven’t unless I want to add weight or go custom. I need a lightweight mountain rifle.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back