Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

243 Twist Rate

I have a 243 Savage Axis 2 that can't shoot anything with the stock 1:10. I plan on re-barreling that and going 1:8 myself. I may also buy a 6mm creed, but have so much reloading stuff for 243 would prefer to keep the 243 and expand the gun collection :p

I have a 243 Savage Axis 2 that can't shoot anything with the stock 1:10. I plan on re-barreling that and going 1:8 myself. I may also buy a 6mm creed, but have so much reloading stuff for 243 would prefer to keep the 243 and expand the gun collection :p
You can shoot the 95gr classic hunter, 87gr VLD, a few Noslers including the Partition, and plenty of other stuff. You just can’t shoot the really high BC bullets. Still some good bullets out there for you.

You can shoot the 95gr classic hunter, 87gr VLD, a few Noslers including the Partition, and plenty of other stuff. You just can’t shoot the really high BC bullets. Still some good bullets out there for you.
I shoot 95 VLD'S in a Ruger tang safety. 10 twist I think. The light Hammers are great bullets. mtmuley

I may be mistaken but I thought the factory twist savage used was a 1:9.25. Maybe that’s just for the 110 action, but I’d think they kept that the same for the Axis too. My model 11 is 1:9.25.

I shoot 95 VLD'S in a Ruger tang safety. 10 twist I think. The light Hammers are great bullets. mtmuley
The 95VLD is on the ragged edge of stability from a 10” twist at standard atmospheric conditions, and has essentially the same BC as the 95 classic hunter, which is still marginally stable. At 5,000’ and 70 degrees, the Classic Hunter is fully stable, but the marginally stable VLD beats its BC. At 10,000’ the VLD is fully stable and easily the better choice.

Having seen some reports of marginally stable Bergers yawing in animals and ballistics gel instead of disintegrating I lean more toward making sure it’s fully stable to be on the safe side. I don’t know if there is anything to the reports or not. I may be the only person who thinks it’s a stability issue, and that’s just my guess. I’ve certainly had marginally stable bullets shoot very well on paper.

Last edited:
The 95VLD is on the ragged edge is stability from a 10” twist at standard atmospheric conditions, and has essentially the same BC as the 95 classic hunter, which is still marginal. At 5,000’ and 70 degrees, the Classic Hunter is fully stable, but the marginally stable VLD beats its BC. At 10,000’ the VLD is fully stable and easily the better choice.

Having seen some reports of marginally stable Bergers yawing in animals and ballistics gel instead of disintegrating I lean more toward making sure it’s fully stable to be on the safe side. I don’t know if there is anything to the reports or not. I may be the only person who thinks it’s a stability issue, and that’s just my guess. I’ve certainly had marginally stable bullets shoot very well on paper.
Dead critters out to 350 plus. I don't use any Bergers anymore. I might run my last .30 caliber VLD's through a new Lilja before I load develop. mtmuley

Dead critters out to 350 plus. I don't use any Bergers anymore. I might run my last .30 caliber VLD's through a new Lilja before I load develop. mtmuley
I believe you. I simply assume you’re not hunting at sea level on cold days.

I'm getting my wife's 243 rebarreled (staying with 243) and trying to decide on the best twist. She will use this for deer and antelope so I plan on loading bullets in the 95 - 105 grain range. I'm thinking 1-8 should do it. Any thoughts?
Recently put together a rem 700 with 24” 1-9.25 in .243. Best group was 5/8”/100 yds. 100 gr partition. I found this acceptable. Hope that helps

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back