Caribou Gear Tarp

Turkey Thumpers - What do you use?

Magnumdood

What do you use to drop those amazing birds?

I use a Remington SP-10, tuned and polished by Rhino Gun Cases, Rhino Choke, EOTech 553, Nitro Ammo - straight 4's Hevi-Shot.

The first one I killed was with a Remington 11-87 Premier, wood stock and shiny barrel. the second one was with a Weatherby Orion over and under, also wood stock and shiny barrel. Both with just a regular full choke and the cheapest Estate brand turkey loads I could find, no idea on the shot size. I've never really seen a need for a dedicated turkey gun for me.

Dedicated Turkey Gun

Why do you not feel a need for a dedicated Turkey gun? I'm not trying to start a flame war with you. I have a feeling I know why you don't, and I'd like to bounce some questions off of you after.

My turkey gun is also my all around shotgun. Mossberg 835 with 28 inch barrel. My turkey loads are Remington 3 inchers with #5 shot with Winchester 3 1/2 inchers with #6 shot as the back ups.

It is mainly a matter of economics for me to only use mainly one shotgun. (I do use a old Mossberg 190 16 gauge for small game). I had to purchase shotguns for 4 other people to use(wife and 3 sons).

I don't turkey hunt enough to justify the cost of one, nor do I see the need for one. I'm planning to buy a new shotgun this year, either a Beretta or Benelli semi auto thats all black. In the future it will be my turkey, waterfowl, and most bird hunting gun.

any shotgun will do with appropriate loads/choke.

I use my bird gun Beretta 12 guage, full choke. Pheasant loads in shot size 5 work fine.

My sun whacked his first bird this spring with a lowly 20 guage, modified choke, pheasant load 6 shot.

I've been using my goose, long range duck shotgun for many, many years. 28" BPS, 12ga with Hastings choke for turkeys and 3 1/2" Fed #6's because they pattern best from close to 40 yds. Don't like shooting non-working turkeys but I did take a SD Merriams at 47 of my paces and 51 of the land owners paces a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't getting any closer and was starting to driff away.

The gun I've done most of my turkey hunting with for the last 30+ years is hardly ideal compared to today's turkey guns. It is an old model 1100, 3" with a 30" full choked barrel. Not a lot of fun to carry on long walks, but it's damned accurate and has dropped dozens of gobblers. I shot my first turkey with it, I think in 1980 or 1981, and have never looked back.

For shells, I shoot HeviShot 4s.

I use a Benelli Super Nova fully camo'ed w/ a 24" bbl., 3 1/2", w/ a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .655 ported choke.
A 50MM Reddot scope, Claw sling, and Win. Supreme Elite HD #6 shot shells.

Bad news for gobblers out to 50 yds. hump

I use a mathews w/axis full metal jacket muzzy 4-blade it does the job just fine

The first turkey I took was back in 96-97??:confused:(man, I must be gettin old can't remember the year) Was the first year we had a season here. I am still shooting them with the same old 870 express. I did however, turn a custom choke for it. seems to work well enough for me.

264Mag, shooting a turkey with a rifle is NOT turkey "hunting" !!! It is turkey killing. Yeah, I know, it is legal in some states but it is still not hunting them.....Fall or Spring
Six months old question "what is a non-working turkey?".....a Tom that I can't get to Strut and Gobble and come within 40 yards of me, preferably within 30 yards of me just so I can watch him and get my RUSH !

"Real Men" have a World Slam !!:)

yeah, but you use a call that Brian has made for you. thats why you get them so close.

264Mag, shooting a turkey with a rifle is NOT turkey "hunting" !!! It is turkey killing. Yeah, I know, it is legal in some states but it is still not hunting them.....Fall or Spring
OK well I kill them with a .22-250 then.

I don't consider sitting there covered head to toe in camo waiting for the game to come to you "hunting".

Remington SP-10, robar camo, cut the tubes myself, rifle sights

Remington 870 express 3" 12 ga, hand applied camo, Pentax 2.5X scope, not sure what tube is in it
Remington 1100 youth model 3" 20 ga NWTF model. Bought for my kids but I'm starting to like the challenge of a 20 bore

Mathews Switchback XT and a Remington 870 pumped that has smoked many longbeards, #5 Hevi Shot

Back