Who handgun hunts and what do you use?

I agree that .44 is more than enough for what I need. I have experience with both .44 and .41 mag, not for hunting, just for plinking. I've always wanted a .454 Casull ever since I read about it in the gun rags, probably more than 20 years ago. I just recently started handloading so rolling my own won't be an issue. I'm going to have to, I live in CA where we are mandated to use lead free. I haven't checked, but lead-free .454 is likely going to be slim pickens, and probably spendy, if you can find it. I really want the Ruger Spr Blk Hwk Bisley Hunter model in .454 Casull. I could've sworn Ruger made that model, but I don't see it on their site anymore, only the .44 mag model. Either they discontinued it, or I was mistaken. They do make a .454 Bisley, but not in the hunter models, so iron sights only.
Ruger SBH Bisley come in 454 & 480. The hunter model just comes in 44 mag. currently according to their website. I think they had a Bisley Hunter distributer model in 41 mag. but that could be incorrect. Ruger has a large number of special runs for distributers in rifle pistol and revolvers.

My hunting buddy has a freedom arms model 83 in 454. He has had it for along time. I remember he paid $750.00 for it brand new and I couldn't imagine ever paying that for any firearm. Little did I know LOL. I have shot his quite a bit and it has a Bisley style grip and is much more comfortable than my Bisley 454. The Freedom arms revolvers are an awesome firearm. Vary close tolerances and perfect fit and finish. Don't shoot one, if you do you will compare everything else to it.

Ruger SBH Bisley come in 454 & 480. The hunter model just comes in 44 mag. currently according to their website. I think they had a Bisley Hunter distributer model in 41 mag. but that could be incorrect. Ruger has a large number of special runs for distributers in rifle pistol and revolvers.

My hunting buddy has a freedom arms model 83 in 454. He has had it for along time. I remember he paid $750.00 for it brand new and I couldn't imagine ever paying that for any firearm. Little did I know LOL. I have shot his quite a bit and it has a Bisley style grip and is much more comfortable than my Bisley 454. The Freedom arms revolvers are an awesome firearm. Vary close tolerances and perfect fit and finish. Don't shoot one, if you do you will compare everything else to it.
Back in the 80s when Freedom Arms came out with the 454 my dad had a FFL and we ordered 3 of them as production was starting. Originally they came with a fixed rear sight but an adjustable sight was offered before ours were built so we upgraded. I got a 7 and 1/2 barrel, my dad got a 10 and my brother got the 12 inch barrel. They all had consecutive serial numbers.
I killed a rag horn bull with mine. They were sweet guns but are long gone now. Last I knew a friend of my dad's had aquired all 3 of them and put the set back together. He was talking about selling them several years ago but I never heard if he did.

Back in the 80s when Freedom Arms came out with the 454 my dad had a FFL and we ordered 3 of them as production was starting. Originally they came with a fixed rear sight but an adjustable sight was offered before ours were built so we upgraded. I got a 7 and 1/2 barrel, my dad got a 10 and my brother got the 12 inch barrel. They all had consecutive serial numbers.
I killed a rag horn bull with mine. They were sweet guns but are long gone now. Last I knew a friend of my dad's had aquired all 3 of them and put the set back together. He was talking about selling them several years ago but I never heard if he did.
Wow would be awesome to get them back. My buddy's is a 7 1/2 inch they are a great gun.

I once had a Colt Anaconda… I bought it in 96 for $300 from one of my former teachers… I sold it during hard times in my first marriage to my friend’s dad that was my hunting mentor for $400. He died from Covid a few years ago. One of my high school buddy is his son, and I have asked to buy it back. I especially want it for sentimental value. He won’t…

Last edited:
I once had a Colt Anaconda… I bought it in 96 for $300 from one of my former teachers… I sold it during hard times in my first marriage to my friend’s dad that was my hunting mentor for $400. He died from Covid a few years ago. One of my high school buddy is his son, and I have asked to buy it back. I especially want it for sentimental value. He won’t…

I could smack a pie plate at a hundred yards off hand all day. Man I loved that pistol.

And I definitely would not buy a 454 and then shoot 45 colt through it. Not extensively anyway. Yes, perfectly safe and compatible but it introduces extra issues when switching to the longer 454 after the cylinder has seen a lot of use from 45 colt.

I would second the advice offered by @Big Bore on not shooting 45 LC ammo in a 454. I shot a bunch of it in my 460. I didn’t get the ring of fouling that builds up in front of the case mouths in the chambers completely cleaned out and that really messed with ejection of 460 empties - kind of a reverse core-lokt.

I've used a .44 mag wheel gun in the past but this past season i toted my Sig Xten in a chest rig most of the season. Filled a antelope tag early and didnt find a deer i wanted with my rifle so did some belly crawling late in the season to see if I could seal the deal with the 10mm.

Attachments

• 20221015_182041.jpg
    20221015_182041.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 20221122_101524.jpg
    20221122_101524.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 15
I've used a .44 mag wheel gun in the past but this past season i toted my Sig Xten in a chest rig most of the season. Filled a antelope tag early and didnt find a deer i wanted with my rifle so did some belly crawling late in the season to see if I could seal the deal with the 10mm.
Very neat! What load were you shooting?

I used to hunt with .22 LR handguns for small game, as well as .38 Special. I have used .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, 9mm and .45 ACP to take game, and shoot dogs killing out cattle. I have shot critters with other calibers, but I was not specifically hunting.

If I was going to hunt with a handgun it would only be small game like rabbits. Then My 38/44 Smith with cast 150gr bullets or 148gr wad cutters would work well but like my mod 16 Smith in 32 long better. Problem with me is recoil in a handgun I feel adequate for handgun hunting. Have had two 357 mags years ago but shooting them was a total chore for me, way to much recoil and muzzle blast. They became 38's shooting cast bullets and suited me just fine. My mod 16 Smith in 32 long would be a perfect small game hand gun. Great little shooter with cast bullet's, fun to shoot. But truth is I'm a rifle guy so seldom take out the handguns anymore other than my concealed carry gun, a 9mm. All the recoil I care to deal with! I did fire a friends 44 mag with some jacketed bullet's one time years ago. Just one time and it cured me. I did shoot it prior to that with some cast loads and it was manageable!

I’ve wanted a nice 6” wheel gun in 41-44 mag for a long time, just haven’t made it happen. I’ve killed a handful of hogs with 9mm and 45acp blasters and also one with a j frame 38.

In another life…..IMG_4648.jpeg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back