PEAX Equipment

10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
I think the only things I have are a couple pairs of gloves.

I’ve got a set of OR suppressor gloves that I have used for most outdoor activities since 2012-13ish. They’re falling apart, and they stink, but they’re still kicking.

The other set is a set of buckskin gloves I bought off a guy at a crafts fair in NE OH back in 2003ish. They only get use as my general winter gloves, so not really put under much stress, but used almost daily. I’m mostly surprised I haven’t lost them yet.

A nice thread.

I've got a fair bit of stuff that has 10 years of use. Most stuff doesn't make it 10 years because it just doesn't work that well. An example would be the ULA Catalyst. I got my first in 2015. I didn't work to my expectations, so I had a custom one made in 2016. I was never more than about 75% happy with the pack, but it was better than most packs available, so I stuck with it. I retired it last year to a Superior Wilderness Designs Wendigo. Then this fall I had SWD build a modified one to my specs (it's now called the Wolverine). I've only used it a year, but I don't see myself using a different pack for the next decade. It's just that good. I don't need ten years with it to know it works. For me, it's far ahead of anything ULA makes.

A good piece of gear I like and constantly use is an 11 year old Jetboil Ti Sol. Another is a 13 year old Western Mountaineering Versalite. A Taylor pencil thermometer has been in my pack since 1976, and goes on every trip I've taken since then. My old Svea 123 I got in the Spring of 1974 still works like the day I got it, but I just don't use it. I retired it sometime in the 90's. Ditto the Sigg pots I used from the mid 1970's until the early 2000's. I had a North Face VE24 tent I got in 1979. I used it into the late 1990's. I still have ice axes and crampons going back to the 70's and early 80's that are fully functional, but don't see use anymore.

This morning our power and heat was out, and since it was -31F, I pulled out my circa 1977 REI booties that I first bought for winter climbing, snowshoe and skiing trips. I still use them, and they were handy this morning lol.

0.jpg

I've got an energizer headlamp that I keep in my pack that my Uncle bought me in 2005. It seems to last 4x as long as all my Black Diamond headlamps do.
Black diamond headlights are garbage. They do seem to know this and warranty them at least; I’ve gone through a least a dozen. Warranties of warranties of warranties

Grivel G12 Crampons
Charlet Moser Vanoise Ice Axe
Petzl NAO+ Headlamp
Vortex Ranger 1000 RF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back