10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
I’ve had to really think on this one. I haven’t had a great record of buying quality gear. But a few that stick out.

Streamlight ProTac2AAA. Carried next to a Leatherman for most of its tenure as an EDC light in my pocket. I have two of them that get rotated through use. Carried in my pocket since 2012. They look rough. Have been my only light a few times when my other light died while hunting. Used to bloodtrail, dress and drag out on a handful of deer.

Stoney Point shooting sticks. Bought them or got them as a gift when Randy Anderson’s coyote hunting videos were first getting noticed by me. Maybe around 2007? This pair has gone with me to dozens of range trips, prairie dog towns, and has been the single factor in me shooting well on a handful of animals. I have shot thousands of rounds over this pair with .22’s and it definitely has transferred over to heavier hunting rifles. With them I can usually get steady in some odd angles by using them under the action instead of out on the forend like you see most people using them. It’s easier to pivot in them this alway in case the animal
moves, and you can almost “seat” your rifle in them with a bit of pressure from the rear and your support hand out on the forend. Super steady. Replaced the bungee cord in them once or twice and they are always in my pack if I have a rifle.

I wonder how many guys are still shooting xx75's? My guess is less than 5%? Nothing wrong with them either killed a pike of deer with them. Another example of fixing a problem that never existed.
My dad hasn’t bow hunted in over probably ~10 years, somewhere in the shop is a brand new dozen xx75’s. He never converted over to carbon, no telling how many deer those things killed!

I have an original ARTIC SHIELD camo coat. It is at least 20 yrs old, needed some sewing repairs now and then, (the wife did that for me), and it is without question the warmest hunting coat I ever owned. I tried replacing it with an ARCTIC SHIELD CLASSIC, but there was no comparison. Cabelas' MT050 was about the closest in warmth, but no cigar either.
When the temperature dips below 20 it's the original Arctic Shield that keeps me warm on stand.

Really wish they still made them like they did back then.

Now in my 60s, I bought the following in my 20s-30s
30-40 years of heavy use:

1) Helly Hansen Commercial Rain Gear
2) Filson Tin Chaps
3) Dana Designs Arcflex Backpack (in my avatar)
4) Leki treking poles
5) Bombproof Otterbox
6) MSR whisperlite stoves
7) Rapala fillet glove to prevent cuts
8) Browning Citori shotguns (12 and 20 gauge)
9) Leupold scopes
10) Eureka Summit tent

My 23 year old Bushnell range finder. It's huge, and it wasn't mfg'd by Bushnell from what I've heard, but it works great after all these years.

It's unfortunate that a lot of the stuff that's made it 10 years is stuff I don't really like anymore.

For the stuff I do like:
-Whisperlite (aka SHOUTHEAVY)
-Coleman camp stove, 3 burner (Guide model)
-Cabelas Guide 6p Dome Tent
-Thermarest classics (from the 80s), kids still use it.
-Northface 550 down jacket (with lots of duck tape patches)
-Scarpa Charmoz boots, 10 yrs this year, relegated to just basalt talus chukar trips but still pretty longevity.
-Xtra tuff rain boots, I swear you can't wear them out. Not possible.
-Pataguch fleece jacket, warm and still looks good

I think the rest of my decent equip is all between 5-10 yrs. All my backpacking gear is being slowly replaced with lighter versions.
If we are going to bring Coleman into this that means I have to include my 30 YO two burner white gas stove and a whole mess of lanterns.
Lots of car camping over the years there, including some successful elk hunts.

Last edited:
Leupold Gold Ring 10x25 binoculars (my son's now)

Leica Ultravid 10x25 binoculars

Ruger 1B 6mm Remington - 1B 30-06 - Remington 600 6mm Remington (my sons now).

Ruger MKII 6mm Remington (my sons) Winchester EW-SS 300 WSM (my sons)

6x42mm Leupold scope - 4x33mm Leupold scope - 4x Weaver scope (1972)

4.5-14x40mm Leupold (2 of them) 3.5-10x44mm Zeiss scope

Ruana Steelhead knives (4) in our family.

Schnees Hunter II 13" pack boots.

Eberlestock Just One pack

(2)-Blacks Creek Canadian hunting packs

Critter Carts my father & I made together
1702753441295.png My son with his mule deer buck. Work fantastic! Sure miss my dad.

Buck 110 - (2)

Schrade folding knife looks just like the Buck 110 - USA made

Lansky guide rod sharpenening kit. Only thing replaced is when I've worn out any of the natural stones.

Dandy Saw - 12" mini-Dandy (2)

Last edited:
Nalgene bottles going on 24 years with the same ones.
Buck knife. No idea what model but a fixed blade, 20 plus years.
Nikon binos and range finder pushing 15 years.
Lasnky knife sharpener.
Those stick out the most besides firearms and my pickup.

Edited to add..gander mt 1000 cu in. Hydration pack. At least 12 yrs old.

Last edited:
Stanley thermos has been on probably all but a handful of hunts with me for 15-20 years now? Dented, scratched and worn but still keeps coffee hot.
Tanglefree waterfowling backpack, gets thrown in and out of the truck, boat, blind constantly and used for deer hunting around home as well, no rips and all the buckles still work.
Yamaha 40hp 4 stroke has reliably started every single time for 14 years, only had to clean the carbs once and replace the battery 1X.
Cabelas wool shirt, sweater and bibs, all pre Johnny Morris mucking it up.
Coleman camp stove, goes on hunting and fishing trips faithfully for well north of 15 years now.
Great grandma's percolator coffee maker gets hauled along and used as it has for probably 80+ years.

A cartridge deserving of Mr. Ruger's best platform...nice, bet it's a blast to operate.
I love the Ruger #1's. They are great rifles that carry nice, shoot very well (my experience), and are I think the classiest of most rifles out there. The 6mm Remington is certainly worthy of the platform. It's a fantastic cartridge. I cannot tell you how many coyotes, antelope, and deer I've taken with it to include one elk so far. I'd put the 6mm Remington up against any of the newer 6mm's especially in a 1-9 or 1-8 twist.
1702768952414.png 1702769017845.png
IMR4350 & H4831SC same 100gr. Partitions same seating depth. 100 yards. Pretty good I would say!

Mossy Oak down jacket purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods 20 years ago. Hard to beat for January deer hunting. Two Scott archery releases from 10+ years ago and both holding up great.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back