Summer Lake SW MT- Suggestions.

SWMontana1

Looking to do a lot of weekend trips to alpine mountain lakes this summer. I have done almost all the lakes up Gallatin Canyon... Looking for some remote mountain lakes to hike into this summer, anywhere from 0-3 hours drive time from BZN. Hiking distance is not an issue. Would like to see how many different/new remote lakes I can hit this summer!!

It's too big to post here, but search for the 2012 Mountain Lakes Guide for the Beartooths and Crazies. That'll keep you entertained for a little while...

Awesome. Best overnight stay last summer was up Pine Creek Lake in Paradise Valley. Awesome spot

Looking to do a lot of weekend trips to alpine mountain lakes this summer. I have done almost all the lakes up Gallatin Canyon... Looking for some remote mountain lakes to hike into this summer, anywhere from 0-3 hours drive time from BZN. Hiking distance is not an issue. Would like to see how many different/new remote lakes I can hit this summer!!
If you go off trail you can hit about 20 per day in the Beartooths. The ones without fish have some interesting critters in them. I like cruising off-trail in Yellowstone, however.... you never know what you'll find there.

If you want something different also go up to NW Montana, say Rumble Creek lakes in the Swan or some of the Bob Marshall lakes... or Glacier Park if you'll drive that far. They get a lot more moisture up there so it is quite a different view.

Best overnight stay was Pine Lake? You my friend have got to branch out.Any lake that doesn't have a trail to it is a good start.Next time you hike the well traveled and often busy Pine Creek trail,separate yourself from the wannabes and climb up and over to Mcknight lake.:)

Best overnight stay was Pine Lake? You my friend have got to branch out.Any lake that doesn't have a trail to it is a good start.Next time you hike the well traveled and often busy Pine Creek trail,separate yourself from the wannabes and climb up and over to Mcknight lake.:)

+1 on McKnight!!

That's exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for! :) would love to hear more placed like that!!

Okay, a couple more for ya. Lone lake in the Crazies,...most people go to Cottonwood Lake,but the adventurous take a detour and head off the beaten path.Try Ramona Lake in the Hilgards,isolated and creepy grizz zone,big plus is you can take a stab at Hilgard Peak close by.I had a sweet bivy camp above Ramona with Hilgrad Pk. calling me the next morning.I would gather you have been to Diamond Lake in the Spanish Peaks.This one isn't as separated but takes a little initiative.I am afraid there is more than a lifetime out there,thankful for almost thirty years of exploring/climbing.

I spend a week each summer at a church camp up Mill Creek out of Paradise Valley south of Livingston and try to get in some good hikes while I'm there.

Elbow lake is a really nice hike and not near as crowded as Pine Creek Lake although it does have a decent trail going to it. About 8 miles each way and around 3,000' elevation gain. I day hike it, but if you spend the night there is another glacial lake up another 1,200' elevation that would be pretty cool to go check out. I just knew if we sat there long enough we would see some goats, but never did.

elbow_lake_pano.jpg

Thompson Lake is a shorter hike but also a nice lake and a good chance to see some goats on the mountains around it if you hang out in the evening or early morning if you stay at the lake. It's only a bit over 5 miles each way and only like 1,200' of elevation gain if I remember right.

thompson_lake.jpg

Of course Pine Creek Lake is beautiful, although it is pretty crowded.

pine_creek_lake_pano.jpg

Not a lake, but a nice 7ish mile one way hike up the east fork of Mill creek to Crystal Cave that is worth the hike I think. I've been to it 7 or 8 times and have a pretty good map of around 500 - 600' of tunnels including one that goes out the top.

cave3_001.jpg

P.S. If you don't catch your limit of cutthroats at Elbow or Thompson Lake you are using the wrong spinners.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back