Caribou Gear

Was my experience normal...or did I somehow F&#K up?

Update: I've requested a username change from AntelopeEater to DoveEater, because I was able to successfully hunt a bunch of doves this weekend, yay!

In case anyone is interested, this "lucky but dumb" guy who just started trying to get into big game hunting this year, reached out to several hunting guides soon after starting this thread in the hopes of getting professional help to try to get an antelope.

None of the guides had availability with such short notice, but one of them did mention that Unit 33 has gone really downhill for antelope in recent years. Which made me feel better about not being able to find one there.

I thought for awhile about going back out to give another try for a 'Lope, especially after watching that Adam Sandler clip about finding the dog one of you posted in this thread.......but 18 hours roundtrip drive to a place I had already spent numerous days in without seeing any antelope was just not appealing. Especially because I would have to do it completely solo.

I do sincerely thank those of you who reached out with PM's with advice and spots, I'll try to return the favor sometime as I gain more knowledge and experience.

On the Friday before the Holiday Weekend I called the NDOW office to see if I could return or transfer the tag since there was still some time left, and even if I couldn't get a refund I still wanted to let someone else have the chance, but the lady I talked to there said there was no way to transfer or turn back in that tag.

Yesterday I went jump-shooting for doves at a place that was only a little over an hour drive my home and it was an absolute blast! I think I'll probably stick to action-packed closer to home small game hunting trips for awhile.

Update: I've requested a username change from AntelopeEater to DoveEater, because I was able to successfully hunt a bunch of doves this weekend, yay!

In case anyone is interested, this "lucky but dumb" guy who just started trying to get into big game hunting this year, reached out to several hunting guides soon after starting this thread in the hopes of getting professional help to try to get an antelope.

None of the guides had availability with such short notice, but one of them did mention that Unit 33 has gone really downhill for antelope in recent years. Which made me feel better about not being able to find one there.

I thought for awhile about going back out to give another try for a 'Lope, especially after watching that Adam Sandler clip about finding the dog one of you posted in this thread.......but 18 hours roundtrip drive to a place I had already spent numerous days in without seeing any antelope was just not appealing. Especially because I would have to do it completely solo.

I do sincerely thank those of you who reached out with PM's with advice and spots, I'll try to return the favor sometime as I gain more knowledge and experience.

On the Friday before the Holiday Weekend I called the NDOW office to see if I could return or transfer the tag since there was still some time left, and even if I couldn't get a refund I still wanted to let someone else have the chance, but the lady I talked to there said there was no way to transfer or turn back in that tag.

Yesterday I went jump-shooting for doves at a place that was only a little over an hour drive my home and it was an absolute blast! I think I'll probably stick to action-packed closer to home small game hunting trips for awhile.
Keep at it brother, there is a steep learning curve. It would benefit you to explore the areas more local to you and just try to find game. Take pictures if you need a goal. Believe it or not there are elk within 2 hrs of Vegas. Deer too, lots of bighorn.

Good job on the dove!

Keep at it brother, there is a steep learning curve. It would benefit you to explore the areas more local to you and just try to find game. Take pictures if you need a goal. Believe it or not there are elk within 2 hrs of Vegas. Deer too, lots of bighorn.

Good job on the dove!
Thanks! I actually have seen mule deer and elk up in the Spring Mountains when just hiking, and I go kayak fishing in Lake Mead, and Lake Mohave, have seen bighorn sheep out there too.

What a waste of a tag. Next year don’t bother grabbing one if your not going to put forth the effort and just make excuses. Leave the tag for a person with the drive to actually use it.

#sorrynotsorry

@Stocker is way to kind its a clear failure! Get your arse back in your truck and redeam yourself, my god man your name is antelopeater! You may not tag out but put the effort in do some hikes, glass some random spots and most importantly learn a few things. Failure comes only when you dont learn from a experience, so far you havent learned anything or you wouldn't be asking the internet about going back. You got a weak to become a hunter, go tackle it or take up golf and leave tags for people willing to put the work in.
This gave me goosebumps.

Get out there and find that f'n dog!

So you get put on timeout if you pull a FCFS tag? Do you lose your points? At this point I don't feel bad hijacking the thread since the OP has either gotten off the porch to find that animal or gave up on getting coordinates here.
Lose your points, 3 years can't apply for antelope whether you harvest or not.

I bet you haven't hunted Unit 33 for antelope in recent years, have you?
I'll tell you what. I've never hunted antelope but I'm going to compare it to my elk hunt. If I only gave it 2 days and went home because I didn't see anything I wouldn't call myself a hunter. 9 hour drives are nothing. Try taking 3 days to get where you are hunting! I don't know you from the next guy but from what I read in your post it sure doesn't sound like you put much effort in. Your first clue should have been the other guys telling you they were seeing a lot of animals. How much time did you spend hiking? How much time did you spend glassing once you got to a place to look? If you think you can spot them like you do driving down the highway you are wrong. You asked if you blew it and mostly were told yes. Now you want to get pissy with some of the comments. You asked, you received. Accept it and move on. You really can't complain about it when you don't give it every reasonable effort trying.

What a waste of a tag. Next year don’t bother grabbing one if your not going to put forth the effort and just make excuses. Leave the tag for a person with the drive to actually use it.

#sorrynotsorry
Well at least there’s still one extra buck left for next year’s hunt! Maybe we need a few more AntelopeEaters in the field, preferably in a unit the year before I draw a tag there 🤣

Sure Venmo me the flight and rental car funds and I will do it in less than a day.
I’m sure @Addicting would reimburse you the flight and rental car if he couldn’t pull it off but something tells me he would be sitting with his feet up, enjoying lunch, with more than a few photos

I've been having a similar time in unit 41 in Idaho (first big game hunt). 4 days and have yet to turn anything up. I did turn up 3 separate herds, 3 separate times in other units at different times earlier this year. Going to try unit 40 for the next 4 days.

I've been having a similar time in unit 41 in Idaho (first big game hunt). 4 days and have yet to turn anything up. I did turn up 3 separate herds, 3 separate times in other units at different times earlier this year. Going to try unit 40 for the next 4 days.
Thanks for sharing.

I understand your frustration, earlier this year I saw Antelope in a lot of different places throughout Nevada when I wasn't even looking for them. And I saw antelope while driving to my hunt unit, just not any in my actual hunt unit.

Hopefully your diligence and spending over a week total out looking for them will pay off.

I think you are smart to give up on the area you've fruitlessly spent 4 days looking in, and its great that you have another unit you can try.

Prove it, go take a picture of an antelope in a hunt-able area of Unit 33.
Well you did ask if you effed up and the consensus is pretty much yes. And then you get pissy because you didn't get the "aww poor baby" reaction you were looking for.
Just use this as a part of the learning curve of hunting big game and move on. (y)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back