Caribou Gear Tarp

****OFFICIAL****2024 SPRING BEAR THREAD

If anybody knows a houndsmen in the Council, ID area, I could really use a hand. My wife shot at a good bear tonight and we're not sure if she hit it, but it got dark on us. We could really use some dogs tomorrow if anybody is available 🙏

Well my second bait hasnt been hunted all spring yet as it’s needs a very certain wind and had been hit and miss with daylight action. Been slow but there was a sow with two blonde yearlings and a big brown boar there but we never had the right wind to hunt. I baited Saturday and looking through the pictures you could tell she was just starting to come into heat. Finally we had the wind to hunt so we headed out. In the last couple days there had been 3 good bears around. Two blacks and that big brown one. While checking the camera a black came in and there was a yearling above the barrel in the tree. I left my fiancée in the stand at 530 and drove 9km to get to my other bait. Got there at 615. By then she is already texting me two blacks came in and that yearling is still up the tree. Shortly after she says the sow is in with the black boar but he won’t commit to the barrel. Finally he paced into an opening and she shot at about 630. So I climbed down after being in stand for 15 minutes and raced back. Sure enough she had shot the bigger of the two blacks and he made it about ten yards from the barrel. While skinning and taking care of the bear another small black kept coming in and that yearling was still up the tree when we left. Between last year and this year I am closing in on 20 sits and she sat an hour tonight lol. While cleaning he’s head tonight we found this. I think it’s some weird bullet but I can’t tell for sure anyways it was against the side of his head. Also for those curious his head is sitting at 19.75 so probably be 19.5 or so after boiling and drying it

IMG_2207.jpegIMG_2223.jpeg

Well my second bait hasnt been hunted all spring yet as it’s needs a very certain wind and had been hit and miss with daylight action. Been slow but there was a sow with two blonde yearlings and a big brown boar there but we never had the right wind to hunt. I baited Saturday and looking through the pictures you could tell she was just starting to come into heat. Finally we had the wind to hunt so we headed out. In the last couple days there had been 3 good bears around. Two blacks and that big brown one. While checking the camera a black came in and there was a yearling above the barrel in the tree. I left my fiancée in the stand at 530 and drove 9km to get to my other bait. Got there at 615. By then she is already texting me two blacks came in and that yearling is still up the tree. Shortly after she says the sow is in with the black boar but he won’t commit to the barrel. Finally he paced into an opening and she shot at about 630. So I climbed down after being in stand for 15 minutes and raced back. Sure enough she had shot the bigger of the two blacks and he made it about ten yards from the barrel. While skinning and taking care of the bear another small black kept coming in and that yearling was still up the tree when we left. Between last year and this year I am closing in on 20 sits and she sat an hour tonight lol. While cleaning he’s head tonight we found this. I think it’s some weird bullet but I can’t tell for sure anyways it was against the side of his head. Also for those curious his head is sitting at 19.75 so probably be 19.5 or so after boiling and drying it

View attachment 327007View attachment 327008
Prolly an old wound from a 6.5 sniper shooting for his melon 😁

Just got home from a week in Alberta. Shot a couple of nice boars and had a great week.

Bear #1

This was the first bear I saw on my first night and I watched him for an hour before deciding to shoot. Glad I did as he was bigger than I thought.
View attachment 326864
View attachment 326865

Bear #2

Shot this bear on the last night. He was the 14th bear I saw this week. We had two days of heavy rain/snow that made for very little bear movement. Super fun week regardless.
View attachment 326866
View attachment 326867
Congratulations. Nice nears, looks like it was a fun trip. I like your hat too! Go Aggies!

Hunted with a skiff on the north side of the island. I think the north side was more scarce, I talked to some hunters on the way back home and they said they only saw two bears and they hunted Whales pass for 8 days. They didn’t get a shot on either and left empty handed.
A lot of the lodges and rentals operate on the north half of the island and it seems like it gets more pressure. We will be south half where there is almost no small private land parcels with outfits

Great bear! Now go get yourself one!

Very nice bear!!

congrats to the wife great looking bear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back