MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sticks and Stones- Breaks and Bones

What a great story Gerald. As always, your photos do a great job of capturing the emotion of the moment. This has been quite a fall for your family. Congratulations to the entire Martin clan.

Another gamble that she had more in her tank that she thought she did and I told her to get mad, get determined, shed a few tears and push on. She did all three, not necessarily in that order and was right back on my heels.
One of my favorite parts of the story. Though you have more practice and I'd guess more patience than I do with our kids, it appears we have some similar philosophies with raising them! Well done Dad!

Wow! What an experience to add to an already incredible season. Congratulations and thank you for sharing it. From your reputation, this could not have happened to a better guy or a harder working young lady.

Wonderful write-up. Thanks for bringing us along. I’m sure it’s an experience you will treasure for the rest of your days. Congratulations to both of you. Those are two awesome bulls!

Unreal hunt glad to see that it brought you guys some success and great memories, that's what its all about. We have a couple tags in our group for bulls in the same area. Our first attempt turned a few up but, I guess they weren't ready to be done. Congrats to you and Elkoholic and especially your daughter. I've been there in that country as well and it can take a grown man down pretty easily let along a young lady! She's one hell of a trooper!

Seems like it would be very hard to spot elk out over a mile away, and relocate them as you closed the gap. Twisty, turny canyon filled topography would challenge the best elk ninjas.

Huge thumbs up to all the hunters and sherpas and sherpas turned hunters on this thread!

Amazing season to the Martin family - Crisp included! Wow! Beating to the same drum! I'm reading a few of your portions again just absorbing it all for another round!

Fantastic 2017!

Grats!

The corned beef hash and eggs looked delicious. Good stuff Gerald. Give Olivia a high five for me. Your bull ain't too bad either. mtmuley

Thanks for sharing, incredible hunt. That country is so cool! I'd love to have a tag of my own over there someday.

Great write as always Gerald!

For me, it's always great just to be out West in elk country, but this trip turned into more than that. To be a part of and witnessing a father with his daughter on her first elk harvest was very special, and to see the joy in Olivia was pretty breathless. Then to be alongside Gerald harvesting his 340" bull was awesome, the time we got to spend together after the shot soaking it in and watching the beauty of cows & Bulls just being elk was unforgettable...listening to bugles for the next couple hours breaking down his bull just topped it off! It's not often you get to put your hands on a bull like that.
And when Gerald said he was speechless when he walked up to his bull, he's correct, I videoed it on my phone,,, for those of you who know Gerald you'd find it hysterical (I'll leave it out for Gerald's sake though).

After 5 straight days of packing meat then jumping in the car for 21hrs my body is still feeling it, been a rough week back to work, but I'd do it all over again, and I'm sure we will!

It was my pleasure to help out and be a part of the experience and the memories. There's a long line of Martin kiddos begging to make more memories, the pack & boots will be ready!

Congratulations to you and your daughter! Special family time, special animals and special country

Back