May Poll: HTAT aka For: Hunt Talk Acumen Test: Mike Bader Recent Commentary.

1-5 scale of agreement. 1= Off his rocker. 5 = Spot on!

• Five: Spot flipping on! High Five!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Four: Mostly With Bader On This One.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Three: Neutral Care Neither Whiner Nor Winner.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Two: Mostly Disagree With Bader.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • One: Bader Popped His Cork! HT Worthy Implosion Rant!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sytes

Bader commentary in the Montana Standard released today. Various topics broached. Almost annual commentary.
In good fun though holds reasonable content to agree/disagree slightly or completely.

Screenshot_20240505-172605.png

Psychological fee waived.

Last edited:
With the mild winter and roads that dried earlier than usual, some wanted access to forest roads via highway vehicles which is not allowed between Nov. 30- May 1 as per the MVUM. Seeley Lake District Ranger Quinn Carver threw open the gates on April 19. Rather than announce it through the Lolo National Forest email process they announced it in a Facebook post. The post said resource damage to the road beds would not be factor. The MVUM accounts for many things including fish and wildlife needs.

MVUM = Motor Vehicle Use Map.

Just because the weather was unseasonably warm with low snowpack doesn’t mean the rule book can be brushed aside. If the Lolo wants to amend the Forest Travel Plan it must go through the process, not make decisions via Facebook.

If a continuous rain pounding, the Ranger may opt to keep roads closed. Using Bader's opinion, it appears the Ranger must open them. I've never known the MVUM to be outside a District Ranger's authority to adjust/adapt as necessary. Wasn't aware it requires the Lolo National Forest to amend the date. Through FB or District release - I'd think it would have been better served as a media release versus the FB route... Maybe there is a required protocol...

One point w/in his opinion piece.

Pretty sure the District Ranger's have the ability to close roads, open roads.

Lots of times, when working behind locked gates a few days before the "official" opening date, I was instructed/asked by the districts to just leave the gates open rather than sending someone out a few days later to open them. Depending on the number of gates, they usually spend a couple days to get them all opened.

I'll try to be brief with my experience. Not sure if this applies to the Lolo as well, or not. But authority to swing gates open varies depending on the reason for the gate.

For administrative use, if the gate is in place for grizzly bear security reasons, then there's a limited number of allowed trips per week over the course of the season. Or there can be one 30 day window with unlimited trips, but then no weekly trips after that.

There's other gates for wildlife security like winter or calving range and, to my understanding, there's not the same legal backing at grizzly gates. These are more because the area is recognized as important, but can be opened whenever. Of course, they're usually not.

And there's other gates in place to keep traffic off the road during the wet season to prevent damage. These are pretty variable. And it is my understanding that a district ranger had the authority here.

To close a road exceeding some amount of time requires additional authority.

I don't know the specifics of the roads in question here. I'd guess these aren't grizzly bear gates though.

if closure date ends 1 May gate should be open on that date! I dont care if it takes a snowmobile, helicopter or parachutes sign doesnt say "when we feel like it". Anything ouside those dates or if legit reason to keep closed it should have a closure notice issued, signed and posted. Deal with this every year and worst offender is always salmon district in idaho. We dont worry about it much now as they told us to "just drive around the gate and we will unlock it when we can" and that is not joke! I did always find it funny that a biologist opens the gates in atleast one district. Locally all the NF 1 may gates remain closed for some reason, states have been opened...go figure. I dont have high reguard for national forest employees simply cause of this issue EVERY single spring. Sorry for rant sore subject...lol

if closure date ends 1 May gate should be open on that date! I dont care if it takes a snowmobile, helicopter or parachutes sign doesnt say "when we feel like it". Anything ouside those dates or if legit reason to keep closed it should have a closure notice issued, signed and posted. Deal with this every year and worst offender is always salmon district in idaho. We dont worry about it much now as they told us to "just drive around the gate and we will unlock it when we can" and that is not joke! I did always find it funny that a biologist opens the gates in atleast one district. Locally all the NF 1 may gates remain closed for some reason, states have been opened...go figure. I dont have high reguard for national forest employees simply cause of this issue EVERY single spring. Sorry for rant sore subject...lol
Could be a staffing issue depending on the number of gates and seasonal employees not being back.

Most of the seasonals are all still in college May 1.

Could be a staffing issue depending on the number of gates and seasonal employees not being back.

Most of the seasonals are all still in college May 1.
Might be?

They should of thought about that before developing forest management plan and MVUM! Walk into there office plenty of people who can open a lock not to mention plenty of vehicles to get them around. Were expected to abide by there published rules and they dont?

That sounds pretty frustrating. I wonder if something else is at play here. Have you recorded dates and roads which are incorrectly closed and submitted that to the supervisors office for comment?

Edit to add: looking at the Salmon Cobalt RD MVUM from 2020 there are no roads that open May 1, either 5/22 or 7/1.

Last edited:
Might be?

They should of thought about that before developing forest management plan and MVUM! Walk into there office plenty of people who can open a lock not to mention plenty of vehicles to get them around. Were expected to abide by there published rules and they dont?
The roads should be opened on time no question.

Stuff just always doesn't go right all the time at work.

Back