Starting Late in Life

COProfs

Let me introduce myself. I'm a total newbie hunter, despite being about to turn 60. I've read 99 pages on this forum so far, literally - out of 536 - and feel like I've learned so much. Thank you all for your wisdom. I'm semi-retired, and a devoted fly fisher. I've been snooping around the edge of hunting for the past 20 years and am now taking the plunge.

My wife and I are both professors at a liberal arts college, and no one we know hunts, and most people are just totally hostile to the idea if we mention it. I didn't come from hunting people either, so there's no history here. Total newbie rubes.

Last year we did a Backcountry Hunters and Anglers course, which, among other really useful things, included breaking down an elk (this was a really great program). We're down to our last few packs in the freezer, so things seem a little desperate, now that we've gotten a taste for it. The next month we got a late antelope tag for the eastern plains of Colorado - our home state - and went out with our binoculars and a spotting scope, and our new .308, to do some scoping, maybe some hunting if the opportunity was there. We left the gun in the car, but learned a lot over the two days we were out there, including why they call them speed goats. Now here we are and we've got a 4th season antlered elk rifle tag for units 59 and 581 (as well as an antelope tag where we went last year). I've read enough to know that these are tough, crowded units, but they border our little property and we've decided to commit to knowing a local area, and it doesn't get much more local than this for us (I can see 59 from top of our property).

I'm ready to start scouting - I've got lots of time at the moment. I've spent a good bit of time e-scouting, read everything I can, but I know that only gets you so far, and boots on the ground is the way to go. So boots it is. About ten years ago when we took up fly fishing it was a really steep learning curve, but eventually, after many, many miles and many fishless days we started catching fish. We found that focusing on a couple stretches of river was the way to go, and now we feel like we really, really know these stretches, know the bugs and the hatches, know the seasons. It's been really gratifying. We intend to follow the same method, and fully expect to spend many days and many many miles walking and looking. If we harvest an animal at some point we'll consider that a bonus. I'd consider it a victory to just see a few elk.

I really just wanted to check in, say hello. I hope we're not crazy for settling on these units, but we can depend on the leftover draw and OTC to give us the chance to hunt these units every year, and in the process we'll accumulate enough points to try another unit.

We've been hiking these areas several times a week for almost a decade, but that's on trails. So here's my initial question: should we just pick an area that looks promising on the topos and Google Earth, and bushwack? Find game trails? This is steep, timbered forest. What's the best way to go about getting to know a piece of land? I imagine we'll have to find ways to get away from all the people who hike and hunt in here, but first I'd like to start to get to know the terrain. Any tips would be great. I went out earlier in the week and did five miles on a trail, poked off trail a little, but mainly just wanted a first look. It's all intimidating, but we're in it for the long term, so we'll work through what seems like just mystery to us.

I'm really starting this as a place to keep track of our progress. Thanks for reading.

it sounds like you know the roads and trail system pretty well, that's always my starting point for a new unit, my second priority is finding places I can see a lot of terrain from, you may have to bushwhack, or that might be right on a trail...if it's even remotely feasible to let your glass do the walking for you that's my first option every time, even if it's just being able to see the opposite side of a canyon, or seeing things a couple of miles away that you would have to approach from a different direction.

when trying to locate elk the more country you can cover the better, I will go a long way out of my way to get to places I can see and try to avoid random walking hoping to stumble onto an elk if at all possible.

if it's truly so thick you can't glass I'd be trying to use trails to quickly access likely places and then sidehilling through with the wind in my favor, move as fast as possible until fresh sign indicates you should slow down, once you locate some elk you can usually extrapolate where more would be based on vegetation and aspect, the thing to avoid IMO is getting stuck looking for elk in a small area or waiting for elk to show up in the area you want them to be, you need to be proactive about locating elk so you can get to hunting elk, especially in an area with low density.

Welcome.
Sorry to hear you have issues with hunting on campus. I found it quite different for 3 decades as a professor. Perhaps you will persuade a few to think otherwise. I've found that grilled squirrel quarters a great persuaders. :)

Better late than never! Many times you will hear the joke about “taking the gun for a hike” in units that are difficult or crowded. The thing is, that is what seperates hunting from hiking. It’s purposeful. And ultimately, when successful, nourishing. And the hiking and learning parts comes free!! If you are hunting, you have a chance, always. It completely expands your senses in the woods, and fulfills that part if your brain that desires challenges and problem solving. You may not live longer by it… but you will certainly live better. Enjoy every bit of your new adventures, wherever they are.

Thanks for all the replies. Wow, I was not expecting that! I went out on my second very tentative scouting hike today. Did about 5 miles but didn't really see much sign, other than old bites on aspen up one side of the drainage I walked. On the opposite side it's really thick conifer forest, and I didn't feel comfortable bushwalking in there by myself. I figure I'm just going to have to take it slowly, and kind of methodically walk the area I intend to hunt. Luckily it's only about a 2 mile drive from my house. I went out earlier in the week up the other side of the same ridge, and there were fresh scrapes (deer or elk?) and some elk tracks. Again, I didn't venture too far off trail. I realize that although I spend a great deal of my time in the mountains, most of that is in rivers, and I'm basically a chicken when it comes to going off trail. My wife is fearless, so when she gets back from VT we'll start doing this together. Kinda funny.... Definitely need to get better at reading typos and learning about 'elk' terrain. I absorb things better in print, so I just ordered some books. I'd like to head out into the areas we want to hunt at least once a week until October. From everything I've read here that's the best way to go about this.

And that taking a walk with a gun - that's what fly fishing was like for a while, especially here in CO where tailwater trout are ridiculously selective. Basically spent a year hiking in Cheesman canyon without catching fish. Now it seems relatively easy...I don't expect elk hunting to ever seem anything like easy.

Again, thanks for the replies and the encouragement - I really appreciate it.

it sounds like you know the roads and trail system pretty well, that's always my starting point for a new unit, my second priority is finding places I can see a lot of terrain from, you may have to bushwhack, or that might be right on a trail...if it's even remotely feasible to let your glass do the walking for you that's my first option every time, even if it's just being able to see the opposite side of a canyon, or seeing things a couple of miles away that you would have to approach from a different direction.

when trying to locate elk the more country you can cover the better, I will go a long way out of my way to get to places I can see and try to avoid random walking hoping to stumble onto an elk if at all possible.

if it's truly so thick you can't glass I'd be trying to use trails to quickly access likely places and then sidehilling through with the wind in my favor, move as fast as possible until fresh sign indicates you should slow down, once you locate some elk you can usually extrapolate where more would be based on vegetation and aspect, the thing to avoid IMO is getting stuck looking for elk in a small area or waiting for elk to show up in the area you want them to be, you need to be proactive about locating elk so you can get to hunting elk, especially in an area with low density.
That's really helpful. I definitely felt today that I was randomly walking. I expect to do a lot of that, of course, but I'd also at least like to feel hopeful.

Welcome.
Sorry to hear you have issues with hunting on campus. I found it quite different for 3 decades as a professor. Perhaps you will persuade a few to think otherwise. I've found that grilled squirrel quarters a great persuaders. :)
Yeah, times have definitely changed. I went on a little tirade at a party about feed lot cattle and plastic wrapped steaks and antibiotics and all that, and pretty much emptied out the room. Maybe some prairie dog canapés?

Welcome to HT and good luck in your quest to put excellent free range meat on your table.

Elk, when pressured will seek the north facing, timbered slopes and hell holes that most hunters will avoid. Don't discount what your nose is telling you. If it smells like you are in a stock yard, and are sure that no cattle are in the area, pay close attention because elk are near. Both deer and elk will be rubbing the velvet off their antlers right about now. Deer tend to pick 1-4" trees and the rub will usually be below your waist level. Elk will use larger trees and the rub will be usually above your waist level and if it is a an alder or willow where they can push it over and straddle the main stem it can appear way above your head. If the rub is above your waist but only about a foot of the tree trunk, it is probably a spike bull. If it is a tree that can't be pushed over and is still scraped way above your head it is more than likely a pretty big bull. Moose if they are in the area will also be rubbing, but I find that they tend to thrash the whole willow/alder patch. Hope this helps in identifying some of what you are seeing in the woods.

Welcome.
Front range college equals not Iowa land grant colleges it seems

I hope our professors learn from the fishing learning curve……the journey is an adventure all in itself, and some of it is painful, but in the end should be very fulfilling.

Sorry I busted your chops earlier about getting your post count up. Wish you the best in your endeavors. For what it’s worth, I didn’t grow up hunting either, and spent a good chunk of my life in a professional/social environment that was also somewhat hostile to the pursuit. Fly fishing was also something of a gateway drug for me. I don’t claim to be a champion elk hunter, but have had a hell of a lot of fun trying. I’m sure you will too.

Welcome to hunt talk. If you learn best from reading there is an elk book available from the local libraries. Ecology of Elk or something close to it. The book is not in print right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back