spike camp

huntfishcamp

Some hunting buddies and I are hopeful for CO season 1 rifle, and first timers for CO. There's 7planning to go, we are wall tent / truck hunting. 3 of us want to spike camp 1 or 2 nights, that is, hike in 3-4 mi, find elk, then stay overnight in that area. for spiking, plan now is to bring my eureka solitaire tent, +35 north face sleeping bag, jet boil/dehydrated food/ meat hauler pack/rain gear / xtra warm clothes for sleeping .

2 of us spike camping have hunted MT and packed out 2 deboned elk a couple miles uphill so we have an idea of what will happen if we kill something in addition to our gear for spike camping.

Questions I have:
-I have a 'sea to summit -thermo reactor exteme' sl. bag liner, supposedly good for adding 15-20 deg to sl bag, anyone ever use this, and opinions if i need a whole new sl bag for this season?
-tent may be a bit sub standard if it snows or high winds/driving rain, we'll be 10-11K feet, advice? Im on a tight budget, would pay $150-ish for a diff solo or 2 p. tent to be 'somewhat' more comfortable, and safe
-advice on what to look for when pitching a spike camp(stay in the trees? near water? how far from where we saw elk? campfires ok?)
-Im 6-1, 220lbs, 'decent' shape, suggested spike-pack weight range? (ive read no more than 20% body weight)

Also any Gear advice for this type of hunt welcomed, thanks!!

If you're comfortable sleeping with your buddies, I'd pool cash and buy a 3 person. This will a) get you a better tent for potential conditions and b) allow your bag to go to colder temps. You don't want to be caught at 10K unprepared, so leverage your resources.

After the season you can sell the tent and recoup a good portion of your funds....split 3 ways it's a minimal cost.

I'd be close to water if convenient, or at least have it on your way to your hunting area. A 1/2 mile is a safe distance, fires are ok, seek trees for shelter from winds, rain, or snow.

I have an Alps Mountaineering Meramac 3 that I use for my wife and I. It has held up in heavy wind and rain but I've never had it in a snow storm. I also put a tarp under as a ground cloth and trench around it. I think it would do well as long as you had the protection of trees. Alps is the first to admit you don't want a two person tent to sleep two people. Its the size of the floor divided by the number of sleeping pads that will fit that gives its rating. They make a Meramac 2 which would be enough room for you and your gear. $59 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Meramac-Person-Tent/dp/B004QCMAOC

I would have no less than a +15 degree bag, for that elevation and that time of year. Mornings will be pretty chilly. I have the opposite advice of JR. I hate sleeping in a two man tent with two people. Someone is always rolling over, snoring, etc. Net result is that you don't get much sleep. I like a two man tent, that will hold me and my gear. Here is a place that has pretty good deals for the budget minded hunter.

http://www.outdooroutlet.com/

I use the same liner. It'll work fine in any bag. It does add a bit of warmth.

A lot of warmth can and will be added by doubling the pad. Even the crappy $10 blue pad from Walmart will add significantly.

What is your clothing layering system?

Your set up will work. If you can afford it, buy better.

Go hunt!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back